[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - My never ending HT..

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:59 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - My never ending HT..

My never ending HT..

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by TritonMan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:16 pm

On 2005-11-04 18:25, wallew wrote:
TritonMan,

I LOVE IT!!!

Your setup gives me ideas of how to approach my basement HT.  I've got the 5000ES myself attached to nine SSK90ED's in my great room on the main level.  I have eleven SSK90ED's awaiting for me once I find a 9000ES to attach to them.

How do you like the 777ES?  I have yet to figure out which DVD player to purchase. 

How do you like the Sony HS20?  I've got a Toshiba projector upstairs but for downstairs want to go with a Sony.  I may wait a year or so to see how the new SXRD technology shakes out instead of going with the current stuff.

How did the sand work out as the dampener?  I want to rip out some walls in our basement, but the wife has yet to agree.  Things progress quickly in some areas and slowly in others.

Are you cable or satellite?  If satellite, which service, Dish or DirecTv?  I use DirecTv and have been extremely pleased.  I just purchased a Sony HD300 yesterday for DirecTv.  I can't wait to see the results it produces.

YOUR SETUP ROCKS!  How does your WIFE like it?  AND how long has it taken to get to this point?  It's obvious you do most (if not all) of the work your self, which means it's a labor of love.  WAY TO GO!!! Thanks so much for going to ALL the trouble AND for sharing it here with us.  This is WHY I love hanging out here. I can steal all sorts of ideas.  But I DO give credit where credit is due, especially when the wife asks where I got the idea for this or that.

Is that the long aluminum level I see in one of those pictures?  I've been wanting to purchase one, but am hesitant to do so until I speak to someone who already owns one and uses it.

I love the 777es. Has a fantastic image and great sound. Only bad thing about is of course the Disc Explorer. There are ways around it though which makes up for it. Otherwise I would highly recommend it.

The HS20 is a beautiful piece of work. I spent many months researching on which projector I wanted to buy and ended up with the HS20. The HD content on it is absolutely amazing. Movies are an absolute wonder to view. I still find myself in awe when i watch movies. The whole projector experience with the HS20 has yet to fade with me. Only bad thing about the HS20 is its ability to accurately reproduce blacks. Its more of a dark grey. Thats my only complaint and a very small on at that for me.

Im running digital cable. I have intentions of going to DirectTv at some point as I never liked digital cable. Directv is by far a superior image than digital cable.

As far as the wife..she loves it..I once asked her if i was to sell everything and turn the basement into a family/req room would she miss it..she of course said yes. When I was doing work in the basement and it was out of commision for a week she was practically going stir crazy

Thanks for the kind words. Im always willing to share what I have done to help other people with ideas or just to share my experience creating the room. Its nice to have ones work appreciated..specially since most of it was done by hand.

The level you see is a tool I would definately not be able to survive without...its a must have tool.

The stage is a tremendous enhancement to the sound quality in the basement. A cement floor is definately not your friend..regardless if the speakers have spikes or you use speaker stands. By fillling the stage with sand it cuts down dramatically on vibration while increasing midbass and the lower end midrange by tightening them up and making them more "clear". It created the same style effect of filling speaker stands with sand as well.

I also spent many weeks looking at hundreds of other people home theaters to get ideas and also to make some of my own. I wanted to create a room that was more cozy family like..than to create a room that was more movie theater like. My goal was to make a room where we could entertain and have company as well as just hang out as a family and be comfortable without feeling like all the room is intended for is watching a movie.

Edit: Here is a link with a few more pictures if you are interested.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=67753 I have plenty more pictures of works in progress as well..but i didnt want to overload the thread.

TritonMan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by wallew » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:33 am

TritonMan,
THANKS for all the info.  YOUR SETUP IS GREAT.  It gives me hope that I too can one day have one of these 'mosh pits' for my own home.  I'm trying to gather all the info before starting on the constuction phase.  I've been collecting the furniture and electronics.  As I said, I've got the speakers, but am still trying to convince the wife of my 'need' for that 9000ES.  Small steps.  Then of course is the 'new' projector.  Like I said, I've read a LOT of good things about Sony's new technology on the projector front.  We will see what they come out with.

I REALLY LIKE the screen you built.  I'm thinking BIGGER.  Say 150 -200 inches.  Kind of 'the whole wall' type of screen.  Then the 9000ES and those eleven K90ED's will have a lot of room to fill with sound.  I really appreciate the input on the results of using the sand.  I've read and seen several programs on doing this but was a tad skeptical.  Guess it's time to get several hundred pounds, as my room will end up being rather large.  And I've GOT to be sure we ARE NOT moving because I ain't doing this build twice.  WELL, I would if someone offered us megabucks for our home, but that's not going to happen.

I gotta get me one of those levels.  They are so KEWL!

And you WON'T regret going to DirecTv because your rates won't go up every six months.  And if you like to use DVR's and have more than one, consider just getting the 'Premium Gold' top of the line package, cause then TIVO is free.  Yeah,you gotta pay $5 per reciever, but I'm going towards a HT that will allow us to ONLY go out to a movie because we want to just go out. 

Otherwise, honey, fire up the old popcorn popper, hit the sweet spot on the leather sofa's and sit back, let the lights dim and then watch whatever show catches our fancy.  The wife says we should try and get on the HGTV show called 'Before and After', where they show what a home looks like before being remodeled and then come back after it's done to show the 'after'.  Nah, I'm all about stealth and low profile.  At least to the outside world.

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.
"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.
When the pin is pulled, MR GRENADE is not your friend.
When in doubt EMPTY THE MAGAZINE.
wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:57 am

You have a gorgeous home theater setup!  I am sure that your are very pleased with the results of your effort.  I looked at all of the pictures and am extremely envious!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by TritonMan » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:00 pm

On 2005-11-05 10:33, wallew wrote:
TritonMan,
THANKS for all the info.  YOUR SETUP IS GREAT.  It gives me hope that I too can one day have one of these 'mosh pits' for my own home.  I'm trying to gather all the info before starting on the constuction phase.  I've been collecting the furniture and electronics.  As I said, I've got the speakers, but am still trying to convince the wife of my 'need' for that 9000ES.  Small steps.  Then of course is the 'new' projector.  Like I said, I've read a LOT of good things about Sony's new technology on the projector front.  We will see what they come out with.

I REALLY LIKE the screen you built.  I'm thinking BIGGER.  Say 150 -200 inches.  Kind of 'the whole wall' type of screen.  Then the 9000ES and those eleven K90ED's will have a lot of room to fill with sound.  I really appreciate the input on the results of using the sand.  I've read and seen several programs on doing this but was a tad skeptical.  Guess it's time to get several hundred pounds, as my room will end up being rather large.  And I've GOT to be sure we ARE NOT moving because I ain't doing this build twice.  WELL, I would if someone offered us megabucks for our home, but that's not going to happen.

I gotta get me one of those levels.  They are so KEWL!

And you WON'T regret going to DirecTv because your rates won't go up every six months.  And if you like to use DVR's and have more than one, consider just getting the 'Premium Gold' top of the line package, cause then TIVO is free.  Yeah,you gotta pay $5 per reciever, but I'm going towards a HT that will allow us to ONLY go out to a movie because we want to just go out. 

Otherwise, honey, fire up the old popcorn popper, hit the sweet spot on the leather sofa's and sit back, let the lights dim and then watch whatever show catches our fancy.  The wife says we should try and get on the HGTV show called 'Before and After', where they show what a home looks like before being remodeled and then come back after it's done to show the 'after'.  Nah, I'm all about stealth and low profile.  At least to the outside world.

Im always willing to help out and share my experiences with working on my home theater. You are welcome to email me or pm if you have any questions at all. I know I asked many many questions during my work and I still ask questions.

You are doing the right thing by getting all of your info first before you start working. Thats the best way to go about it.

If you dont mind me giving you some advice I would recommend you purchase the 5000ES instead of the 9000es. IIRC the only difference between the 2 is the additional 30w per channel and the remote. The addition of DVI and some extra digital and analaog input/outputs. If the DVI is the main reason you are getting the 9000es then there are other alternatives as well. With the speakers you are using the 5000es would make a great pre-amp so you could purchase an additional external amp for those speakers. That way the additional cost from the 5000 to the 9000 can be put towards a more powerful external amp. I dont think the 5000es or the 9000es will be able to adequately power those nice speakers properly. Specially in a nice large room.

As far as a 150-200" screen..thats a toughie. Would cost a small fortune to purchase a projector than could display a nice bright image at that size. As an example..if you were to purchase the same projector I have you would need the projector to be a good 20-25ft away from the screen just to get the 150". Quite frankly the Sony HS20 wouldnt be able to handle a screen size that big..i believe the max distance before image degredation is 120"..after that it progressively begins to deteriorate at small percentages.

We dont go out to the movies anymore ever since the HT got built. We have become so spoiled being able to sit in the comfort of our own home and view movies. Since DVD's are coming out so fast after a release its easier to just wait for it.

Im really looking forward to seeing what you end up with when its all said and done..I would also really like to see the progress pictures..I love looking at before and afters.

I wish you the best of luck in getting everything done the way you want. I know for me its been a tough road but a satisfying one.

TritonMan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:01 am

On 2005-11-04 18:25, wallew wrote: I want to rip out some walls in our basement, but the wife has yet to agree.

Jim- You might try showing your wife some pictures of well done finished projects like TritonMan has posted to get her warmed up to the idea of remodeling.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by wallew » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:56 am

Gents,
Thanks for ALL the input.  I JUST SHOWED my wife the pictures and she REALLY liked them.  Thanks for that.

Now a little patience and a little time and things will hopefully progress as I hope.

I DO understand what you are saying about the 9000 vs the 5000, honestly.  BUT I have found that the 5000 DOES drive these speakers loud enough to shake the pictures on the wall and make the 'nic nacs' dance on their tables, so I'm pretty happy with it.

NO, I feel that, as has been said here, that the 9000ES is a piece of Sony history.  Do I need it?  Probably not.  Would it be a great addition to my 'collection'?  YAH, you betcha.  So I don't know. 

Plus, we are JUST winding up with a double remodel as I type this.  I figure that the last two (of eleven) windows that I installed will finished in the next week or so. 

Then it's on to the tile backsplash in our kitchen where we just had a new corian style counter top installed about a month ago.  The wife and I have already purchased all the tile and the mastic to put it ON the wall, and the wife even purchased an inexpensive tile cutter for those tiles that we will have to cut.  Hopefully we will be done with that in another week or so.  THEN it's the holidays and I'm hoping for a break in the 'remodel action' as it were until the first of the year. 

PLUS the wife and I have been looking at a house that's not far from where we live now that has about 3/4 of an acre that it sits on.  It's about the same size as the house we have now on three times the land we have now and it's for sale for about forty thou more than our home is worth at this moment.  AND the guy is gonna HAVE to come off his price because there's LOTS of things wrong.  Nothing I can't fix though.  AND it has a two car garage that WE don't have now (carport only).  It's the cheapest house in a really nice neighborhood.  Same as the house we have now (cheapest house in the neighborhood because of no garage).  And the rest of the houses in this neighborhood are going for about two hundred thousand more than what the guy is asking for it now.

So, I ain't a gonna install a killer HT in this house until the wife decides whether or not we are going to move.

THANKS to everyone for all your insight on a killer HT.  Special kudo's to TritonMan for posting all the before, during and after pictures.  I WILL do the same, as I have always done (take before, during and after pix) when I do a remodel.  Anyone want to see how messy I was DURING my kitchen remodel?
wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:51 pm

On 2005-11-05 03:16, TritonMan wrote: By fillling the stage with sand it cuts down dramatically on vibration while increasing midbass and the lower end midrange by tightening them up and making them more "clear". It created the same style effect of filling speaker stands with sand as well.

You had a very practical and effective idea in Mass Loading the entire stage!

This method of vibration reduction was also employed by scientists to increase the accuracy of their high powered electron microscopes decades ago by placing them on slabs of granite that weighed several tons each.

It was only after Mass Loading these very fine instruments that they were able to mitigate the vibrations that were effecting them enough so that they were able to give them the stable ultra high magnification images that they were designed to provide.

I guess great minds think alike!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by wallew » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:27 am

TritonMan & Maxx,
This has given me an evil idea. 

The wife and I are looking at another house (above) that has a sunken living room.  It will be perfect for a home theater, given it's dimensions (long & wide with only three windows on the right side).  I told the wife 'no problem' with raising the floor back up to 'normal' levels.

I could mass load the whole floor.  Make sure the subfloor is not touching the walls when I raise it and before putting the subfloor in add a ton or two of sand.  BOOM, instant mass load on the floor of the HT!  OR will by adding the subfloor detract from all the sand in place?

YOU GUYS ROCK!  Another idea to 'store away'...

wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:04 am

As long as this is just in the planning stage you might consider decoupling the whole subfloor.

I read about a guy who wanted the ultimate listening room so he built a small house out back and floated the entire structure on an air bladder which was on top of the concrete foundation!

He built the house large enough so that he had one room for his Audio equipment and the other room for speakers only to eliminate the negative effects of resonance on the equipment.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by OnlyESPlease » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:24 pm

Wallew- I would only think about that if there is no basement underneath, or your sunken living room could sink again with all of that weight.
OnlyESPlease
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Home Theater Gallery