[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Wallew's Home Theater Setup

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:06 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Wallew's Home Theater Setup

Wallew's Home Theater Setup

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by wallew » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:46 pm

On 2005-11-04 20:24, TritonMan wrote:

You are correct on the HD on component,DVI and HDMI. However the 5000es upconverts s-video and composite to component so it will not shut them down.

I assume you are using the monitor out on your component connection to your viewing source.

TritonMan,
It's the Sony SAT-HD300 that shuts down the Svideo out, not the 5000ES.  That's what I was told.  Can anyone with a SAT-HD300 confirm that it does or does not allow Svideo in HD?

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.
"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.
When the pin is pulled, MR GRENADE is not your friend.
When in doubt EMPTY THE MAGAZINE.
wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jttar » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:35 pm

Jim,

You are correct. For HD viewing you will have to use either component cables or DVI/HDMI cables with your HD300. Composite or S-Video will not give you HD.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by TritonMan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:58 pm

On 2005-11-04 22:46, wallew wrote:

On 2005-11-04 20:24, TritonMan wrote:

You are correct on the HD on component,DVI and HDMI. However the 5000es upconverts s-video and composite to component so it will not shut them down.

I assume you are using the monitor out on your component connection to your viewing source.

TritonMan,
It's the Sony SAT-HD300 that shuts down the Svideo out, not the 5000ES.  That's what I was told.  Can anyone with a SAT-HD300 confirm that it does or does not allow Svideo in HD?

I must have completely mis-understood your question. Sorry
TritonMan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by wallew » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:39 am

Joe,
Does it shut down the Svideo?  Or is it just NOT HD?

Can I do something to have another HD output to either Svideo or RS232 from the DVI or HDMI?  The reason why is I would LIKE to have two HD inputs.  One through the 5000ES and another directly to the projector.  That way we can watch 'normal' TV through the 5000ES and then switch to a different input and the wife can watch sports and listen to the radio announcers.  She just HATES Phil Simms, who is the normal announcer for Bronco games.

Jim

wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by wallew » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:11 pm

The Sony SAT-HD300 has arrived!!  I hooked it up.  I downloaded the manual.  Set the format to 1080i and have been enjoying Hi Def since yesterday afternoon!  Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

What an extremely clear picture.  Colors are deeper.  Sharpness is superb!!  I don't know what to think. 

I still have my regular TIVO unit hooked up and to switch between the two all I need to do is toggle between Video 1 and Video 2 on my projector with my 5000ES set to Video1 (Tv/Sat is for HD audio out ONLY).  Plus I'm planning on adding my computer to this setup, so I will have 100" computer monitor. 

Can ANYONE give me what the 5000ES upconverts the signal to when using Svideo to component or component to component??  If there is no loss of signal, I don't mind passing the HD signal through the receiver but if memory serves me corretly, the 5000ES drops all output from whatever it's input is to 480p.  Is this correct?  Or will it simply pass the component set to 1080i to the component out without degradation of signal?  

According to my Sony SAT-HD300 manual the Svideo can output ONLY 480i but that component, DVI-HDTV and RGB can put out ALL formats 1080i, 720p and 480p (you set it on the receiver).  So the question stands, what does the 5000ES upconvert Svideo and component inputs to for component output or Svideo output?

I'll keep you folks informed. 

wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:23 am

The two component inputs pass through a selector switch to the component output jacks unaltered.  I am not sure how much, if any, the signal is degraded in passing through the switch.  Composite inputs are up-converted to 480i S-video.  S-video inputs, including the up-converted composite inputs, are up-converted to 480i component.  Does this help?
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by wallew » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:00 am

On 2005-11-12 11:23, jehill wrote:
The two component inputs pass through a selector switch to the component output jacks unaltered.  I am not sure how much, if any, the signal is degraded in passing through the switch.  Composite inputs are up-converted to 480i S-video.  S-video inputs, including the up-converted composite inputs, are up-converted to 480i component.  Does this help?

John,
THAT'S EXACTLY what I was looking for. THANK YOU so much.

Now, another question for everyone who uses HD for their television viewing pleasure.

With my setup, a HD projector, what do you folks suggest.  Just set the HD300 to 1080i and forget about it or set it to native and watch it change as you surf from one channel to another?  I read someplace here that I should just set it to 1080i and be done with it.  I have done just this and am VERY pleased with the results.  The native mode does give a larger picture but is in the 4:3 format, where the 1080i is the 16:9 format.  I guess I just like 16:9 format better.  I don't know why.

So what do you folks think?  1080i or Native mode format?
wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by wallew » Tue May 16, 2006 12:51 pm

I just thought I would post an update to my current HT setup.

It's been about six months since we purchased the HD Toshiba TLP 710.  When we first got it, it seemed that it would not hold it's color set very well.  We were having to constantly adjust it.

I contacted the guy who sold it to me and after we discussed what was wrong, he said it sounded like a minor adjustment.  I would have to send it back in to him.  I was bummed.  But he boxed one up and sent it out to me before I sent mine in.  He did not charge me shipping and paid return shipping.  He didn't even ask for a credit card number.

The replacement unit has worked flawlessly for the past six months.  I recently purchased an All For One remote, model #8910 as it could control this unit.  After getting the correct code upgraded into it by OFA customer service for free, I then 'taught' my Sony RM-AV2100 all the commands.  So now we are back to just one remote control.

I have been experimenting with painting my wall different colors of white.  We tried a screen and did not like the results.  The wife said it was ugly.  I felt it didn't give quite as good an HD picture as we could get.

I started out with flat white.  Went to gloss white.  Then to semi gloss white.  Then to a satin white (four drops of white added).  After talking to the the paint guy at Lowe's he told me he's had the best luck with their Ultra Satin White (three drops of white - NOT four).

This produces the best picture yet.

The wife wants me to paint the whole part of the wall that we are using instead of just the 16:9 portion I have been doing.  So that will be done soon.

I will also be installing new tv satellite cables - 2200 mhz, and new speaker cables - 12 ga OFC, and the component and Svideo cables in the walls shortly.  And will be running electrical so I can install a plug in the ceiling next to the projector.  Then I will be 'done' for a while.  I HOPE.

I'll take some more pix after the cables have been installed.

jim

wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 am

Jim- That reminds me of a time that I went to the paint store for some "white" paint. They asked me which "white" I wanted and they pulled out a sample sheet with about a dozen different colors of  "white" on it and I had to restrain myself from laughing!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by wallew » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:50 am

Maxx,
Strangely enough, IT DOES make a difference as to which 'white' you choose.  We tried several.

Flat white  (TOO FLAT)
Gloss white (WHOA, WAY TO GLOSSY)

Both of the above I had in my paint stock.

So I went to Lowe's and started looking at paints.

Ultra White (with FOUR DROPS of white added - getting closer, but still a little too bright)
Ultra SATIN WHITE (with THREE DROPS of white added)

BINGO!  WE HAVE A WINNAH!!

But I only bought one quart which only gave me one coat.  So I went over to Walmart and bought another quart of the Ultra Satin White (three drops white ONLY please) and NOW the wall is fairly close to what we were looking for.  And it has three coats of Ultra Satin White with three drops added.  Maybe one or two more coats and it will be right where we want.

SO, if you are going to use a painted wall, try "Ultra Satin White" but have them ADD THREE DROPS OF WHITE (NOT four, NOT two as we tried both).

It seems the three drops of white added takes the 'sheen' off the wall and it's a nice color of white that reflects the projected picture quite nicely.

So, that's where I stand now.  Still looking for the 'Sony Holy Grail' of receivers in the STR-DA9000ES.  I'm confident that I WILL get there.  I have the paitence and I am slowing adding money to my stack of bucks saved, so I can eventually afford to spend what I have to when I find what I'm looking for.

jim

wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Home Theater Gallery