[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - My humble home theater setup

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:21 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - My humble home theater setup

My humble home theater setup

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by davemtp » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:35 pm

Scott,

Thanks for the reply!  In regards to the backlighting, I think I am at an official 50/50 split.  The reason is, if I turn off all of my lights - with the backlight on, it seems to be ok, it certainly helps the picture look sharper and is significantly easier on the eyes.

I am currently trying movies for a few weeks without backlighting.  My living room lights are can lights on a dimmer.  It is a similar effect to backlighting, if I leave the lights in the room up enough so that my eyes aren't getting a tremendous workout with the changing scenes in a movie.  I think I like the soft light of the room better than the back light.  I will try the back light again after a while and see. 

If you want to play with that idea yourself, I did some homework and I found that a standard daylight fluroescent bulb is the trick. There are filters and such that would probably help, but some home theater sites are selling these $20 lights for $200-$300!  Filters included of course! 

Well, that turned into a bit of a long-winded answer, hope it helps.

Dave
davemtp
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by boulderskies » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:07 am

Dave,

As my original post stated, I have the 55" XS955 and the same stand as you and after looking at your 60" I can see that the 60" edges are equal to the edges of the stand while the 55" edges are about 1.5" narrower than the stand. I do kinda wish I got the 60" but I'm not at all disappointed with the 55".

One specific question - what do you mean by "daylight" florescent? I think they have ones called "soft" is that what you mean? Mounting a 24" one on the wall behind the set would be an interesting touch, in my case. See the "boulderskies SONY fireplace" pics for my set up.

Scott
boulderskies
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by davemtp » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:06 pm

Daylight is a 'full spectrum' light and it should say it right on the box of the bulb.  I think mine is a GE and it was labled a daylight bulb.  I think it's supposed to recreate the light the sun does around noon when it is at its peak.
davemtp
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by stratusg » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:13 pm

impressive boob tube! Have you played with balancing the silver and black in the stand?  Nice angle on the couch.
stratusg
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Maxxwire » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:31 pm

Dave- About how much light do you get from the sun at noon this time of year up there in Alaska?

_Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by davemtp » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:12 am

stratusg - thanks for the feedback.

Maxx - I am in south central AK and the sun comes up at about 9:00 am and goes back down around 5:30-6:00 pm.  It feels a little bit like dusk by 3:30-4:00pm, it is weird, but we gain 5 - 5 and a 1/2 minutes of daylight per day - so every week is different.

I start to crave the daylight by about late Feb. early March - cabin fever as they say.  Of course in the summer the sun is up until 11:30pm and it never really goes all the way down before sun is in your eyes at 2:30 am again. 

Up north (very rural Alaska) the sun goes down in late Sept. and does not come up at all until early March.  Yeah - no thanks!

Sorry for the essay on Alaska daylight.  It is a good reason to have a good TV in the winter that is for sure!

Take care - Dave.
davemtp
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:17 am

Dave- Did you have any Northern Lights as a result of yesterday's huge solar flair?

_Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by davemtp » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:34 am

I did not see them on the 21st, it was cloudy hear, earlier in the week they were just amazing, they were multi colored - green, white, red and blue - it was awesome!
davemtp
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:19 am

Now that's watching a show on THE ULTIMATE BIG SCREEN!

_Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by davemtp » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:38 am

Oh absolutely!  And it's free OTA HD I can't get the manufacturer to tell me the resolution, but I can guess it's even better than 1080i !
davemtp
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Home Theater Gallery