[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - My humble home theater setup

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:04 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - My humble home theater setup

My humble home theater setup

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by davemtp » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:16 am

Ok - after compression and such, these ended up quite a bit more 'grainy' and dark than I wanted but it allows a crude glimpse at my setup!  I will leave these as pics and describe below.  Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated!  Thanks, Dave

davemtp
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:56 am

Dave in Alaska- You should go to your Inbox at the bottom of the left hand column of this page and send a PM to Joe in Chicago under his moniker jttar and he will be able to help you with posting your pictures.

_Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by davemtp » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:38 pm

Maxx and Joe - thank you very much, I was able to get those pics posted!

Ok - I will try to articulate a bit what is there.  Before you all go wondering where you can get high tech speaker stands like that, relax - those are custom!  Bar stools are not always marketed as such, but they have proven quite effective until I get some real stands! 

The TV is a Sony 60" XS955
      DVD - NS975V Via HDMI (Samsung Axession cable)
      Receiver - Harmon Kardon AVR330
      Speakers - Towers - MB Quart QL S830   (6.5" drivers)
                     Center  - MB Quart QL S550    (5.25" drivers)
             (4) Surrounds  - MB Quart QL S530 (6.5" driver)
                      Sub (15") - DCM 1515
      Xbox - run with component cable to TV - optical cable to receiver
      VCR - run of the mill Panasonic 4 head
      Dish - SD basic, HD is still a few months off -til I save some more $
      TV Stand - SU GW12

That's about it, I have run the speaker wire in wall and under floor (I have a crawl space) and it is standard 12 gauge Home Depot spool.  The sub is experimentally behind the couch right now, I think I like it!

I really like the MB Quarts and for the price, the Harmon Kardon puts out some super clean sound and it supports true 7.1 surround, it gets LOUD!  Only downer, very few movies in 7.1 yet.  Distortion free also - this is good.

The reason for a semi dark pic also is I wanted to demo to some degree the backlight.  I got a 24" daylight fluroescent bulb propped up on a long thin piece of cardboard behind the TV.  I have cans on a dimmer in my living room; with the combination of that and the backlight, the picture really stands out.  I am going to come up with a more permanent set up for the light soon.

I am very open to any suggestions for improvement and feedback also!  Thanks,  Dave

If you haven't read any of my other feedback on the 60 XS955 with the 975 - it's unreal!  I am very happy with it!  The picture is just outstanding! 

Also thanks to Joe, Maxx and about four dozen other people for all of your posts and willingness to share your knowledge, it has proven very fruitful!  Thank you!

davemtp
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jehill » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:20 pm

The only file types that you are allowed to upload are .gif, .jpg, .jpeg and .png.  You will get the message "wrong type" if the file that you are attempting to upload is not one of these types.

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jttar » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:12 pm

davemtp,

Please check your inbox.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by jttar » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:15 pm

Dave,

Glad to see that you were able to post your pictures. It was well worth your effort. The XS955 and the SU GW12 stand look fantastic and the
vibration dampened bar stools work out well for the surrounds. Thanks for taking the time to share your setup with us. Your time in the crawl space pulling speaker wire made for a very clean look.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:48 pm

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the pictures of your A/V system. It is a visual treat indeed to see such a fine set up! And I'll bet that it sounds just as good as it looks!

_Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by davemtp » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:33 am

I decided to post a pic with a little better lighting.  Hopefully a little less grainy - maybe I just need to upgrade the digital camera!  Merry Christmas all!

davemtp
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:52 pm

Now that looks better! As good acoustics are to Audio, so good lighting is to photography.

_Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by boulderskies » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:05 am

davemtp,

Great setup! Your backlighting is pretty innovative. Ambient lighting seems to be the coming thing. One manufacturer even includes it on one of their sets. What are you thoughts regarding using it at night?

I own the slightly smaller KDF-55XS955
and just love it.

You will be astonished when you see HD! Be sure and tune in Discovery Theatre HD!

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Scott
boulderskies
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Home Theater Gallery