[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - My Modest HTS

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:11 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - My Modest HTS

My Modest HTS

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by Cousin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:51 pm

Nice upgrade Jehill.

I'm still lovin' those silver SSLA500's.
Cousin
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jehill » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm not planning on changing them out anytime some.  They look better than I expected with the new furniture.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by craigmclellan89 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:19 am

Absolutely awesome mate.

Loving your hard work there!
craigmclellan89
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by RideTheSolarWinds » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Love your setup jehill, very clean and unobtrusive and with the SS-LA500/C500ED speakers you don't have to sacrifice on looks and sound.

Just a couple of Qs regarding the sub -
Since the speakers are satellites do you have set the crossover fairly high for the flattest possible frequency response?
Do you know anywhere you can find the plug for the speaker in? It seems like a unique plug to this sub?

Thanks.
RideTheSolarWinds
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jehill » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:53 am

You guessed it!  I have the CUT OFF FREQ control on my SAWD200 turned all the way up, which is 200Hz.  The speaker came with a 20 ft cable with the plug that your are asking about on one end and pigtail leads for the L, R and C channels on the other end.  The part number for that cable is 1-823-331-11.  Its not available from Sony, but does appear to be available here for $63.70.  The plug is a standard 6 pin Molex connector.  I see what appears to be it when I Google "6 pin Molex connector".

For nearly ten years I used a connection from the subwoofer output on my AVD-C70ES to the low level input on the SAWD200.  Then, I read why its better to connect to the speaker outputs in the subwoofer setup tutorial.  I installed banana plugs on the ends of the six wires and plug them into the banana plug openings on the AVD-C70ES speaker terminals.  It sounds significantly better.

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by RideTheSolarWinds » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated!

That's really high for the crossover, where do you think the speakers start rolling off roughly?

Sounds like speaker ins/outs are the way to go, I've always used RCA line in for my subs so I'll have to give this a try.

RideTheSolarWinds
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jehill » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:09 am

You will find a plot of the low frequency roll-off here.  Look further back in the thread and you will see that I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting my SAWD200.

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by RideTheSolarWinds » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks a lot for the link, it looks like your -3db point is at 80hz when set to large and about 90hz when set to small. But both settings seem to result in a big 3db decline when going up to 200hz so it makes sense to have your subwoofer crossover up there.

EDIT: I could be reading it wrong and they are actually +3db peaks in the 100hz-130hz range.

Have you noticed much port noise with your SA-WD200? I tested mine out today and with lower frequencies/heavy bass I notice a lot of rattling and port noise from the back, I'm wondering if it's a characteristic of the sub due to the 90 degree tunnel used as the port or loose connections/screws on the back. It's a very well built and heavy for it's size so I'd be surprised if this is an inherent flaw.

RideTheSolarWinds
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jehill » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:58 pm

No, I haven't noticed any port noise.  No rattling at all.  That's probably because I don't operate my SA-WD200 with the volume cranked way up.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Skytrooper » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:38 am

jehill, I know this is an old post but I have a suggestion for you. Moving your center speaker to the top of your stand and wall mounting your TV will make your center speaker sound better. I did that to mine and the center sounds much better now. But, maybe that's impossible for you to do.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Home Theater Gallery