[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - My Modest HTS

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:06 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - My Modest HTS

My Modest HTS

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by Craig_Nike » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:57 pm

Great set up jehill, neat & tidy, very nicely positioned and balanced.
Craig_Nike
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:26 pm

John- I must say that the professional manner in which you executed the setup of your A/V system is a perfect reflection of all the years that you have been involved in Audio and Video.

You've really gone first class with this project and Sony should be honored that you chose their equipment to manifest your dream system.

The clear plastic divider that you implemented is indicative of the genius that you have applied throught the entire system.

The echo which is causing the sonic time smear in the room could possibly be tamed with the use of a discreetly disguised sound diffusion material such as studiofoam. If covered with an appropriately decorated tapestry in a complementary color scheme, stratigicly placed studiofoam could help to reduce or even eliminate the room's reflections.

Thanks for sharing your A/V system with us John. We can all appreciate how much planning and effort it takes to make it look so neat.

_Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jehill » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:55 am

Thanks Maxx!

I'd love to try out some of your ideas to help reduce or eliminate the room's reflections, but I suspect that it would be a cool day in you know where before my wife would consent to it.  On the other hand, maybe I just have to be clever.  I wonder how much trouble it would be to cover on or more sections of studiofoam with a large canvas painting?  The only trouble is that the bottom would have to be below the top of the couch.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Maxxwire » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:09 pm

You are most welcome John, I was just giving credit where credit is due.

I completely understand your concerns over the asthetics of any room treatment applications. The best covering would be one that is sonicly non-reflective. A frame with a decorative tapestry or appropriately patterned cloth covering some Auralex or Sonex sound diffusing Studiofoam would probably prove to be a very effective sound diffuser.

Like you said the key here is being creative. Some drapes made of thick material like in a Movie Theater and a decorative sound diffuser behind the TV would make a very noticable difference in the acoustics of the room. One more decorative sound diffuser behind the listening position and you may find that eliminates most of the acoustic anomolies of the room.

If you could just get your wife to think that it was her idea to add some decoration to the room, you just might get your foot in the door.

I wish you well in taming the acoustics of your listening room. You have a great A/V system and whatever you can manage to do to enhance the room's acoustics will certainly make it sound just that much better.

_Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jehill » Sun May 30, 2004 2:54 pm

My thanks to jttar who gave me the idea of linking to files uploaded to http://home.comcast.net/~userid/.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jttar » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:08 pm

John,

For what we pay Comcast for high speed cable we might as well take full advantage of all it's capabilities.   Regards.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by jehill » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:10 pm

Finally, I have made a change to my system!  I replaced my KV-36XBR450 and stand with a KDL-55XBR8 and Performance Furniture STC-NC/SoHo Theater Cabinet/Natural Cherry!  Here are a few pictures:

If you compare this picture with the original pictures, you will see that the original speakers have been retained.  Also, now if you are sitting in one of the two chairs, you can see and talk to a person in the other chair.  Before, your view was blocked by the KV-36XBR450.

Here is a shot of the the only components that I have now, top to bottom: Sony BDP-S550, Motorola DCT-3416 and Sony AVD-C70ES.  The left side of the cabinet is empty and is available for future expansion.  You don't normally see all of those wires!  Note the wall plate for the connections to the rear speakers.  The top drawer was removed to make room for the center channel speaker.  There is a panel behind the lower drawer that I should have moved up to block the view of the wiring.

I thought that I would be cute a photograph the TV with this superb scene from the Digital Video Essentials, but it doesn't even come close to doing it justice.  The 480i input is upconverted to 1080p by the BDP-S550 Blu-Ray player and looks phenomenal on the KDL-55XBR8.

Same shot, but with right cabinet door open.

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jttar » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:42 pm

John,

It looks fantastic!

With the addition of your new KDL-55XBR8, your S550 Blu-Ray and that gorgeous cherry cabinet I don't think you can still qualify this setup as a MODEST HOME THEATER.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by robmlisanti » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:14 am

Nice set-up John...Like the couch too!
robmlisanti
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jehill » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:17 pm

I guess you are right, Joe, I guess its no longer "modest".  However, I am still using a home theater in a box and the speakers that came with it.

Thanks for the compliment, robmlisanti!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Home Theater Gallery