[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - My Modest HTS

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:44 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - My Modest HTS

My Modest HTS

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by jehill » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:26 am

Here are a few pictures of my home theater system.

You can see the entire system less the surrounds in this shot.  Note the subwoofer in the left corner and the WAF in action.  We moved into our new retirement home in October.  As you can see, we haven't papered or painted the walls yet.  The two chairs may easily be moved for serious viewing of HDTV and movies, although my wifer refuses to do so.

Here's a shot of the couch and the left surround.  I wish I could place some sound absorbing material behind the couch, because of reflections off the wall and the fact that if you sit dead center, you can hear the front center speaker load and clear.  Also, there is a cathedral ceiling with the peak running from front to rear.  This apparently is the cause of a severe echo if you stand in the center of the room.  Fortunately, we don't normally do that.

Here you can see the right surround and one of three speaker jacks I had installed before the drywall was in place.  A dual jack is located behind the TV.  Heavy guage Monster speaker wire is used.  Also note the RM-AV3000 on the end table.

Here's a better shot of the front portion of the system less the subwoofer.  If you are wondering what that is separating the Motorola DCT-5100 digital cable box from the AVD-C70ES, its a clear in-box upside down to separate the two for ventilation.

Here's a closeup of the Motorola DCT-5100, the AVD-C70ES and me in the reflection.  You can see the ventilation holes on the top of the receiver.  Hardly any heat comes out of them, even at sustained high volume levels, thanks to the efficiency of the Class D amps.  Believe it or not, there is small 1" exhaust fan on the rear like you might see on a laptop.  There is no audible sound from it when it is on.  There are three large Easy-Moves under the TV stand to faciltate moving.  Believe me, the Easy-Moves were a great idea, considering that the TV weighs 238 lbs.

Here are a few shots of the screen from about 6' away.  The colors are actually more vibrant than what you see.  Some day, soon I hope, we will upgrade to a LCD rear projection TV.

-John

Sony A/V System: KV-36XBR450 FD Trinitron WEGA and AVD-LA2500PKG consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by NiteHawk » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:24 am

Nice equipment setup.  I'm amazed at how few wires you have running from behind your monitor.  Are the wires for the rear speakers coming out of the wall ????

Nice pictures also....what type of camera your using
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Toli » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:56 am

jehill- Yeah, did you wire your surrounds through the walls?, I did that, it was fun huh? Did you unplug all the wires behind the TV stand for the picture?, just kidding that is a real neat job!

Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Toronto365 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:59 am

Very nice setup!

Love the speakers ... they were my first choice, but I blew my budget on the rest of my components

Just a question about the in-wall speaker wiring - why did you install the terminals so high on the wall?
Toronto365
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jehill » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:50 am

Thanks for the complements!  The wiring to the rear (surround) speakers is routed from jacks behind the TV up and over the ceiling and down to jacks adjacent to each rear speaker.  I asked myself the same question, why are the jacks so high?  I guess the installer decided that the speaker jacks had to be on the same stud as the phone jack.  He located the jacks for the left rear speaker at the same height.  Keep in mind that the jacks were installed before the drywall.  If the drywall were in place, a hole could have been cut anywhere, but there wouldn't have been access to install the cables.  The photographs were taken with a FUGIFILM 3800 about a year old with 2 mega pixel resolution.  If I had it to do over again, I would reduce the resolution so that the pictures aren't so unwieldy to look at.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jttar » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:04 am

John,

Thanks for the peek. A beautiful room and a neat and tidy install. I love the way your wife camouflaged the left front speaker. Nice touch using the upside down clear paper tray to allow ventilation. It fits in nicely and does the job. Great setup.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Toronto365 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:50 am

Out of curiousity, are those speaker stands height adjustable?
Toronto365
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jehill » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:15 pm

No, they are not.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by TonyTiger » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:04 am

Is that an AV200 remote?

The room looks great, the picture quality on the INHD picture looks great, I think it exceeds the picture quality on the digital cam.

Lets see that's 1080p with the DCT5100 and what, 3 megapixels in the camera? Thats 1080 divided by 3 multiply by p .....
Oh heck, it looks great!
TonyTiger
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jehill » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:22 pm

Thanks Tony,
Actually, its an RM-AV3000 remote.
-John
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Next