[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - VPL HS20 stuck in "Frequency out of range!" caused by BDP-S1

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:58 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - VPL HS20 stuck in "Frequency out of range!" caused by BDP-S1

VPL HS20 stuck in "Frequency out of range!" caused by BDP-S1

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony's Projector Series (CINEZA series).

Moderator: jttar

by bluRay » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm

PROBLEM:

My VPLHS20 is stuck in the mode where "Frequency out of range!" is displayed, and I can no longer display a video image with the projector.
This problem was probably triggered by the use of the BDP-S1 in 1080i mode over HDMI.

No matter what input I select, it displays this message. I can access the menu and cycle through the inputs. I have used both the BDP-S1 and a regular DVD player as sources, but nothing seems to work. I've tried different cables and also took it to a local store where they tried their cables.

I have left it unplugged from power many times, for hours, and even days. This did not help.

BACKGROUND:
This projector worked fine for three years until I watched a few bluRay DVD's and regular DVD's through the BDP-S1 player using the HDMI input, and a 1080i signal. I have about 1100 hrs of use on the projector.

In fact I used the bluRay player and VPLHS20 together for a couple of weeks, viewing in 1080i mode. Then one night I go to watch a movie and this error message is displayed.

ANY SOLUTIONS?
Now before I send this to Sony (I don't want to waste money), I was wondering if anybody has encountered this, and knows of a solution.

I am assuming the projector has:
i) Moved itself into some strange software state, maybe the ROM is too out of date and hooking this projector up to the BDP-S1 can cause problems.
ii) Or maybe the BDP-S1 actually over drove some signal input and damaged a chip on board the HS20.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

bluRay
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Craig_Nike » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:55 am

hi BluRay

Have you tried hooking the projector up with composite or Svideo.
Maybe putting a standard video signal through could 'reset' it?

Also can you turn the progressive scan off on the BluRay player (I'm guessing you can do that when you play standard DVDs on it?) maybe that would reduce the signal enought to allow the projector to play it?

Not surefire fixes, just some ideas.
Regards
Craig
Craig_Nike
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by bluRay » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:38 pm

Craig,

I had tried everything type of setup/connection I could think of and nothing worked.

I did send it in for an estimate last week, to the Loredo repair center in Loredo Texas.

They sent me an estimate in a PDF file a few hours ago. Unfortunately they are closed now so I could not ask them about the outragous estimate.

To my dismay, they want $3076 USD to repair!
Now they have listed in the repair items including a Lamp, a lamp power supply, a prism block assembly a panel (B), a panel (G) as well as a circuit board.

So it looks like they may have butchered the projector I sent to them, because why the heck would I need a new lamp, and new lamp power supply, etc.??

Maybe they are crooks, I don't know.

I will push this higher up into the Sony chain of command, because it seems very coincidental that I'd get a "Frequency out of Range" error, within a couple of weeks of using the Sony BluRay player.

bluRay
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by dahrich » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:05 am

Hello:
I don't have your equipment but I do have a Sony PJ.
In the past I have gotten a "Freq out of Range" message too.

In my case the problem was caused by my DVD player sending an Interlaced signal.  I don't have HDMI but connect with component cables. When I changed the players output to Progressive the problem was fixed.

BTW, I once sent this PJ to TX for repair.  I paid $2500 for it and they wanted $2000 to repair.  So I agree, Sony's repair prices are rediculous and will make me think twice about buying Sony the next time around.

An extended warranty may be the best protection. 

Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Projector Series