[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Blue light on Sony VPL-HS2

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:10 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Blue light on Sony VPL-HS2

Blue light on Sony VPL-HS2

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony's Projector Series (CINEZA series).

Moderator: jttar

by Harley78C » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:42 am

I've had the same setup now for about a year- no problems Its mounted to the ceiling-upsidedown. 2 months ago i noticed the corner of the screen was blue. (Its not really the screen because I've had it run alone on a wall and the blue was still there.) I've replaced the lamp, tried to clean the lens,filter, and blew out all the possible dust. Didn't help. On a daily basis I can tell that the blue area gets bigger and smaller or completely goes away and reapears somewhere else. Its too slow to notice it actually moving- I just compare it daily.Its a bright Blue light! Any ideas to help me out would be great! Im baffled and cant watch tv any longer untill I fix this thing. Thanks ahead of time!
Harley78C
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by macemx » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:40 am

I'm experiencing the same problem with a VPL-HS2, now about two years old. It's not the lamp or filter, and the blue has moved from a shifting band along the bottom of the screen, to include the upper left corner too.

Did you ever find a cause for this?
macemx
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by DeanHyndman » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:00 am

Ive got the same problem, any luck in finding a solution?
DeanHyndman
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by macemx » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:38 am

No luck here. : ( I figure it must be the LCD inside, but wish I knew for sure, and what to do about it.
macemx
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by dahrich » Sat May 07, 2005 10:20 pm

Hello: I have a VPL CX5 with the same problem. My PJ is mounted upside down too and after about a year the blue spot appeared. I contacted Sony and they seemed to know about the problem and said it was related to the prism. I sent the PJ to them for a repair estimate ($35.00 charge for the estimate) and they came back with a $2000.00 repair cost!!!

I told them they had to be kidding - that I could buy a new PJ for less.

So I'm living with the problem for now.

Regards,
Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Autococonut » Sun May 15, 2005 2:26 pm

Same problem with mine VPL CS2 started with a blue on the corner and now the blue has covered all.

I thought it was a magnet that was close to it, but it was not.

Autococonut
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by mayceesacay » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I have the vpl-hs2 which I purchased about 2 years ago.  The lamp has been replaced and total lamp hours shows 4200.  My discoloration is starting at the top left corner of the screen.  I too cleaned the lens and filter, but it didn't help at all. 

Now I'm starting to regret I bought the projector.  Everything was fine, until the blue started to appear on the screen.  Now I can't stand watching tv.  The sad thing is, this is our main viewing tv in the living room we watch it like a normal everyday tv.

PLEASE HELP!!!
mayceesacay
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by dahrich » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:19 pm

Hi:
If you look at my prior Post you'll see I have this problem too.
I don't know that there's much you can do about it as it's so expensive to repair.
I can tell you that I have moved and now my PJ is mounted
"riight side up" and the while the blue streek is still there it is not as noticable particularly when I watch a 16x9 DVD.

Im my case since I moved I no longer am watchin TV as you are.
Sorry, but I agree it's a bummer.
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by webby56 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:11 am

My son has the same projector. The same blue area starts at the top and right side and slowly spreads across the screen. Cleaned filters and lense,
Changed the lamp no difference .
Can anyone help please
webby56
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Beatlebacker » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:56 pm

As far as the VPL range is concerned, most of what you are experiencing is probably due to dust attaching itself to the prism and / or optic assembly. The polarising filters get hot and attract the dust like a magnet, which is why you should endeavour to try to maintain a relatively dust free environment, causing the filters to craze and / or delaminate - which is what causes the blue spots / areas you refer to.
One way to confirm this is to remove the top case (secured from underneath the unit!), and carefully release the prism connectors thereby disconnecting the prism assembly - be careful as these securing clips break easily and ARE NOT REPLACEABLE by the average Joe!!! Then replace the lid and power the unit up ... if the light shows white then the fault lies in the optic assembly and / or prism assembly. If you're out of warranty it's not cheap.

Good luck!
Beatlebacker
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Projector Series