[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony SAT receivers gone black

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:51 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony SAT receivers gone black

Sony SAT receivers gone black

This forum is geared towards Satellite Receiver and Sony Hard Disc Video Recorder

Moderator: jttar

by toyhound » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:56 am

Anyone else out there get clipped by DTV's datastream changes?   If power cycle or reset any HD receivers made by LG on Directv service your receiver will lock up and not be able to build a guide.  Not sure if DTV is working on a fix.   There's a lot of confusion about this on discussion boards and through answers from DTV.  I hope they fix the problem.   DTV keeps trying to get me to 'upgrade' to one of their receivers so I can receive MPEG HD content.  I call it a downgrade because their receivers are so inferior to the sony quality.   We'll see what happens.

SO the warning is if you are a DTV customer with a SOny HD receiver and have not been bit by this software update do not cycle your receiver.
toyhound
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jttar » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:20 pm

toyhound,

As an owner of a Sony HD300 satellite receiver I have been reading threads on different forums about DirecTV's data stream changes. From what I read quite a few LG, Panasonic, Hughes and Sony (including HD300's) were affected by this data stream update and right now are rendered useless. According to DirecTV they are working on a fix but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Oddly enough, on January 9th my Sony HD300 lost it's channel guide. Not knowing what was going on, I redid the initial setup and let the receiver create the channel list. Thankfully, it did create the entire channel list and so far, so good.

If my HD300 does go down and I find out that this is a deliberate attempt by DirecTV to force people into using their equipment, my many years of DirecTV subscription will come to an end. Let's hope that DirecTV IS working on the problem and do something about it quickly. I know I would really be pi$$ed off if my Sony HD300 was down for the last five days with only hope of it working again was the word of DirecTV saying they are working on the problem.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by toyhound » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Joe....yeah I posted this here as I recalled that several folks here were still lovin' their SAT-HD's.  You must have gotten your guuide rebuild JUST before the datastream change hit, because everyone who cycled late on the 9th and beyond are still black.  There's a couple of unhappy folks out there on some of the other forums as you've probably seen.  If it's an accidental 'oops' as I suspect it is then ok, tell me so and fix it.  I'm just pi$$ed that when I called they denied it and tried to force me right into the upgrade path.   I think you've seen me vent here before about the quality, or lack thereof , on the DTV receivers.  I'm shopping and comparing other services at this point.  I've been with DTV since 1994 and this could be the last straw.

I'll start listening to more music and pry myself away from the tube.   Wait, what am I saying.  
toyhound
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by toyhound » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Just reported on another forum that users with the problem should run the initial setup after 6 am est on thursday, 1/17.   It should get the receiver guide build and working again.   Hope, Hope
toyhound
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jttar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:09 pm

toyhound,

I do remember your posts on the lack of quality of the DirecTV receivers and I fully agree with you. I have had several Hughes, several RCA and Phillips satellite receivers but none of them have come even close to the PQ of my Sony HD300. That is why I am still using it and hopefully will be able to continue to do so until I decide it's time to upgrade. I have read in the forums that many Sony HD200 and 300's suffered the same fate as your receiver. I feel fortunate to have dodged that bullet.

Good news on the possibility of a "fix" in the stream by tomorrow.  Please post back and let us know if your receiver is back up and flying. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Dugfio » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:54 pm

My HD300 went black the other day. Called DTV, no real help. Fortunately, I had a spare Hughes receiver in the closet, hooked it up, reactivated it with DTV and it works fine. Since then, including earlier today, I tried resetting NVRAM on the Sony repeatedly without succes. Time will not set, guide will not rebuild, all satellite transponder signals are fine.

Then, about half an hour ago, I found this very valuable information! I will give it another try tomorrow to see if DTV has corrected the problem.

Thanks again for Agorquest!

Dugfio
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by toyhound » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:38 am

Looks like it's still not fixed.  Losta noise on other forums about the failure to deliver the fix as promised.  Perhaps I'll do a little shoping with Dish NW today.  I'm really gonna miss my SAT HD 300, but then it can go in the pile with the SAT-A2 (or3), SAT-A50, SAT-?55 and a couple of others.

toyhound
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jttar » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:47 pm

toyhound,

Sorry to hear that SAT HD300 didn't respond. Still hoping that there is a fix coming. I really don't know what is different about the HD300 I own that it, so far, has not been affected.

I have been following this ongoing saga over at the DirecTV forums HERE and it seems that many HD200 and 300's are still not clock setting or creating the channel guide.

Does the OTA antenna input for your local HD channels still work on your SAT HD300, in other words, could you still use your receiver to view local HD stations using an antenna?

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by toyhound » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:06 pm

Joe....whatever you do till they get this fixed is do not reset or power cycle your 300 on purpose.   It will go black.

Yeah I am getting the OTA channels so I do get some entertainment.

Rick
toyhound
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jttar » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:59 pm

Rick,

Thanks for the advise. I have been leaving my SAT HD300 running 24/7 in hopes that I can avoid the black out until DirecTV can provide a fix. I too have checked out the DISH network and they have some pretty attractive deals. Despite the many years I have been a subscriber to DirecTV  I have no loyalty to them after this latest fiasco.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Next

Return to Satellite Receiver/TiVo