[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Satellite reception question...

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:12 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Satellite reception question...

Satellite reception question...

This forum is geared towards Satellite Receiver and Sony Hard Disc Video Recorder

Moderator: jttar

by RickeyM » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:56 pm

Is it possible to receive a signal to a satellite dish through window glass? My mother-in-law lives in an apartment building that only offers cable TV as an alternative to regular broadcast TV. In addition, they allow nothing (such as a Sat dish) to be mounted on the outside of the building. The local cable's basic service offers less than Direct TV's basic and charges more for the privelege.

Her apartment is on the sixth floor and facing west, it's in a perfect position. How about it, will it work?
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Toli » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:45 pm

RickeyM,

She will need a view of the Southern sky not the Western, so my guess is that it wouldn't work that well. Also, if she were to get a decent signal, an outside dish mounting is recommended, such as on a balcony. Written permission from her landlord is also recommended.

Toli

Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by RickeyM » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:53 am

Hi Toli. The building is a Senior Citizens assited living facility. Her unit has no balcony and they have zero interest in anybody hanging a dish outside the windows. Here in the east, we have to point our dishes to the south-west which would be no problem in her unit. I may take my receiver and spare dish over there tomorrow to see if I can lock on to a signal.

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by jttar » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:10 pm

RickeyM,

Will the satellite pick up the signal through the glass?  Absolutely, but not as well as if it was outside. As long as you get enough of a signal for the receiver to lock in on it will work.

The reason that I know is that I have done it before at a friends house. Packed up my receiver and spare dish and setup the dish pointed right through his picture window. I did check the signal strength and it was low but enough to work.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Return to Satellite Receiver/TiVo