[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony HD-300 RF antenna

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:08 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony HD-300 RF antenna

Sony HD-300 RF antenna

This forum is geared towards Satellite Receiver and Sony Hard Disc Video Recorder

Moderator: jttar

by brrambur » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:53 pm

I recently purchased an HD-300 receiver without the RF antenna, thinking I can use my old one. I used an adapter to hook it up, but Im still getting no response. My old antenna has an RCA connecter, the HD300 uses a 3.5 I think. Any idea on how I can get it to work, or do I need a new antenna? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
brrambur
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:34 pm

brrambur,

Greetings and welcome.

Congratulations on the purchase of your HD-300 satellite receiver. I have had mine since they first came out and still use an OTA (over the air) antenna to pick up all my local channels in HD.

You will need to use at least a RG-59 or better yet a RG-6, 75 ohm coaxial cable to connect between your satellite receiver and your antenna. If your older antenna uses the twin flat lead cable you will need to purchase an inexpensive adapter from your local electronics store (ie. Radio Shack) or our home improvement store (Menard's, Lowe's etc.) to adapt to the coaxial cable.

For most of your local channels (depending on where you live) you will be using the UHF portion of your antenna. Once you have the cable connected and the antenna properly aimed at the local towers you need to go into the setup menu of your HD-300 and have it scan for your available OTA channels. After it is done scanning it will add the channels to your guide.

If your existing antenna is capable of UHF and VHF reception it should work just fine.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Toli » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:18 am

jttar,

I believe that brrambur is referring to the RF antenna, not an OTA antenna.

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by brrambur » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:25 pm

It's the RF remote antenna Im having trouble with. I adapted my old RF antenna so it fits in the 3.5 jack, but it still doesnt work. The remote setup menu says its in RF mode and working fine, but the remote only works if I point it at the box.
brrambur
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:56 pm

Thanks Toli. I missed the RF part completely the first read.

brrambur,

Sorry about that. To the best of my knowledge the RF antenna is nothing special and should be simple to make one. If you already have a jack that fits the 3.5 plug just try attaching a length of wire to it and let it hang off the back of the receiver. Kind of like the garage door antenna lead. By experimenting with different lengths of wire you should be able to find the length that gives you the best reception for the remote. I would give it a try before purchasing a new antenna.
Please let us know how you do.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by brrambur » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:37 am

Nothing seems to work. Ive tried 3.5 stereo and mono jacks, different lenghts of wire, my old RF antenna, and a uhf/vhf antenna.
brrambur
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:23 pm

brrambur,

Any chance that a friend or relative in your area has the HD300 and you could borrow the RF remote antenna to confirm that it is an antenna problem and not a problem with the input of the RF remote on the receiver?

Joe (aka BeastMaster)
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Return to Satellite Receiver/TiVo