[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - RDR-HX510 & Maxell 1-8x DVD-R not recording

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:43 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - RDR-HX510 & Maxell 1-8x DVD-R not recording

RDR-HX510 & Maxell 1-8x DVD-R not recording

This forum is geared towards Satellite Receiver and Sony Hard Disc Video Recorder

Moderator: jttar

by prawncrackers » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:35 am

I am able to record on Philips, Intenso and Sony DVD+RW / +R with no problems on my Sony Digital Video Recorder.  But I have  just tried to use the DVD-R format without any luck.  I am using Maxell 1-8x DVD -R.  The recorder loads the DVD and automatically prepares the disc.  Using the Tools "Disc Info" the DVD is identified correctly as a DVD-R.  Then when I start to record/dub something the "DISC IS DIRTY" error message is displayed and nothing else happens!!!!
The operations manual page 8 lists usable DVD-R as 16x or slower version 2.0/2.1.
I expected the Sony to record on this well known named brand.
Purchased DVD films on DVD-R play ok.
Does anyone know what the "version" is referring to?

Any ideas anyone or shall I just stick with the +R format. If so I have a pack of 50 coasters going cheap!!!

PC
prawncrackers
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by prawncrackers » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:40 pm

Have now tried Sony 1-8x DVD-R and they worked, no surprise there then........
Returned Maxell for a refund to Argos (UK shop) . No problems got money back.
I have been told Philips DVD-R work in a Sony 510 , as I have already used + R from Philips will try their -R next.

PC
prawncrackers
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:52 pm

PC,

One of the first things that I discovered (the hard way) when I started recording DVD's was that sometimes even a brand name disk won't be recognized properly in all players. It has to do with the reflective coating on the disk and the ability of the burners laser to read it. Often just buying a disk with a different color of reflective coating will make the difference. If the Phillips -R's work I would suggest staying with them. Best of luck.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by prawncrackers » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:12 am

Thanks Joe

I have used about 50 Philips DVD+R and about 25 Philips DVD-R all 1x8 speed.  I still occasionally get Disc Dirty messages during dubbing.  I think it could be when they have got hot.  I take the DVD out and let it cool down and no further problem. Time will tell if it is hardware problems or just DVD fickleness!!!!!

PC
prawncrackers
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by BobDel » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:41 am

I got an RDRHX510 just before Christmas and Phillips DVD-Rs seem to work just fine.

It couldn't be that the problem disks need a wash as some CDs do? Could it?
BobDel
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by prawncrackers » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:32 am

Thanks for confirmation about the Philips DVD-R working.

After speaking to Sony about my problem (as it got worse) I took the 510 into a local shop that Sony supplied me The name of.  This was an approved repair under Sony warranty.
The repair took about two weeks. The DVD drive was replaced. It still reads all the previously recorded discs, thankfully.

The only hickup was a couple of hours after getting it back, whilst recording from the front input (line 2) to HDD, the Sony shut down. The couple of hours recorded to HDD vanished!!!!. 
This recording had no involvement of the DVD drive. The Sony showed the RECOVERING message on turn back on.  The equipment is on a shelf under the TV so is not in a restricted place to overheat....

In the week it's been back I have recorded 7 DVD's and about 10 hours on the HDD without any problems since that hickup.  I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. 

PC

prawncrackers
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by prawncrackers » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:33 pm

It shut down again........

Yesterday a little over a week since it's return.
This time it was a manual recording of a terrestial TV program to HDD.  At the end time I went to look for the program, but the Sony was locked up.  Nothing would work, but after a few frantic key presses (title list etc,) it shut down.  After a few seconds of recovery it was working again, but like the other shut down the program had not recorded.
In case the first shut down had currupted the HDD I have now Formatted the HDD and will give it one final chance.......

PC
prawncrackers
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Trev0 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:14 pm

Hey PC, let me know what happened after the format as I have now the same prob.  Everytime I try to play several titles it shuts down and goes through the whole RECOVERY thing.  It's damned well annoying having spent a shedload of money on it only for it to do this....arrr
Trev0
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by prawncrackers » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Trev you asked to let you know how it went.... so nearly a year after your request.....

The 510 never shut down like that again thankfully.

But.... a couple of months ago whilst watching a program from the HDD it just froze/locked up. Over the next few hours I managed to get it to recover a number of times by pressing and holding down the power button... recovering was then displayed for a while then was able to dub a vital program to dvd  and tried to dub another and it would lock up.... press power button etc. Managed to get three important programs dubbed. Turned it off for the night. Next morning just as bad.

So went out a brought a new Sony model 870.
Really dissapointed with the editing features and the 870 operating system.... for example you can't move programs on the HDD and edit them safely in a playlist before dubbing to a dvd.

And the layout of the (OSD) on screen display eg.-
pressing display on the Sony 510 gives a nice bar graph at the bottom of the screen showing how far into the program you are as well as the minutes etc.
Pressing display on the 870 gives a big semi transparent black band which comes up taking over a third of the screen and positioned aprox a third down from the top of the screen..... Right over peoples faces... bloody daft, and its full of writing that you have to walk to the TV to read...
Ohhh and with a bar graph bouncing away showing the MBPS which I suppose is the bits per second playing rate... how useful???
I could go on... and on.
Anyhow to replace the Sony 510 I brought a Sony 525 on ebay.. great machine fairly similar as the 510 with it's editing ability..... the only problem it kept firing up every hour in the night to download and update it's EPG..... In the quietnes of the bedroom it was a bit like a washing machine filling up with water... so sold it and ....... brought another Sony510 (£56 + £15pp) lovely lovely m/c.

Ohhhh forgot to mention about my original Sony 510. Well I formatted it's Hard Disk Drive and it has worked perfectly since.

So I have the Sony 870 being used as the family VCR replacement. Also connected in series I have my original Sony 510 as my editing and back up program recorder. 
And in the Bedroom I have my bargain Sony 510 quietly sitting being used as and when... ie when having a lay in recovering from flu.

Anyhow you wouldn't believe it was the same company that made the Sony 510 and the Sony 870.
Why did Sony ditch all the great features and clear OSD display of the 510.... and write a completely different op system that is no where near as good for the 870.
The most cost effective and common sense thing to do was to add the 870's extra features ie EPG... A to B replay into the 510's op system/ Graphic User Interface..... (the way the product displays it's messages and features..... basically the way it works)

PC

prawncrackers
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Satellite Receiver/TiVo