[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - LG LST-3510A OTA/QAM DIGITAL CABLE HDTV TUNER

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:32 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - LG LST-3510A OTA/QAM DIGITAL CABLE HDTV TUNER

LG LST-3510A OTA/QAM DIGITAL CABLE HDTV TUNER

This forum is geared towards Satellite Receiver and Sony Hard Disc Video Recorder

Moderator: jttar

by silverghost » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:57 pm

Ijust bought a new toy an LG LST-3510A HDTV
tuner/DVD player combo
I wanted the LST-3100A but was unable to find one so I went for this unit with an added DVD
player "QUASI HDTV??"
Wow!!!! It works very well!!! QAM DIGITAL CABLE + SUPER OTA reception....( I know this is a SONY SITE, but Sony does not make an HDTV TUNER THAT WILL RECEIVE QAM DIGITAL CABLE!!! It will pull in a very weak DTV/HDTV signal without breaking up...
It will pick up stations OTA that my new SONY SAT-HD300 will not!!! You can view DVI or COMPONENT
at the same time as S-Video...It runs very cool + quiet and dropouts are very few, and only on very weak signals...I have yet to try the "QUASI HD"
DVD PLAYER....but so far I LOVE THIS UNIT!! It is a great "TOY"
I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about this HDTV tuner..... Few people know anything about it and to date I have seen no reviews on the WEB for this unit... The only fault that I can find with this tuner is the fact that it does not allow you to connect both cable AND antenna at the same time and switch between the two as you can with SAT-HD300...(SAT OTA CABLE) . This is because it only has one RF input!!! This results in you having to scan for channels every time you want to switch between OTA and CABLE + you need an
A/B RF switch!!! I guess the folks at LG/
Zenith want you to buy two of these tuners???
In spite of this I STILL LOVE THIS UNIT!! ASK YOUR QUESTIONS...
( NO I DON'T WORK FOR LG/ZENITH OR SELL THEIR PRODUCTS...JUST A FELLOW VIDEO/AUDIO NUT ).....SILVERHOST
silverghost
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by johnr0836 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:55 am

I am thinking about buying one of these units but since I have a 34XBR2 I wouldn't be able to see the upconverted DVD. Do you think I would loose much? How do DVD look in 480P versus 1080i? Thanks.
johnr0836
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by johnr0836 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:03 am

I bought and returned a 3510A. Picture quality was excellant both OTA, cable and DVD.
I didn't like the fact that there is only one coax input which means adding an AB switch and rescanning to switch from OTA to cable. I really want a unit with firewire output to match my Sony TV. A curious "feature" is that the clock is set by reception of an OTA station that is transmitting PSIP, otherwise you cannot set the clock.
Comcast has yet to figure out that people will be using these units to receive HD off of cable. I could receive all of the local HD stations and FOX as well as INHD and I think ESPN-HD. Also I received some PPV content which would start and stop randomly.
johnr0836
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by silverghost » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:39 pm

PART II of TEST REPORT

I have now been using this LG LST3510A for about two weeks...

the Over The Air HDTV signal is super...A very low signal is all that is needed for a good stable picture with no breakups or picture dropouts...DVD player

portion gives great upscaled

Quasi 1080i 0r 720P upgrade that almost looks like HDTV....CLOSE TO HD !

Component video output cables

give a super picture + will switch to "NATIVE" station output or upscale to 1080i or 720p or480p

on all formats automatically....

QAM Digital Cable tuner will scan "STD,HRC,IRC"bands very well +FAST!!!

OTA scans rapidly also! BUT: You cannot use both OTA+QAM Digital at the same time without switching antenna/cable imputs and rescanning tuner..

As others here have stated this is a bit of a pain in the neck but, with an A/B antenna switch I can live with it!!!!!

WHAT OTHER TUNER WILL GIVE YOU QAM DIGITAL CABLE OTHER THAN LG

3100A +3510A+LSD3410A

with hard drive recorder???Samsung 351

was supposed to BUT they eliminated this feature at the last minute...(Presumedly because of pressure from cable industry COs???...FREE DIGITAL +HD CABLE!!!!

The BIG BIG problem that I and others find with this tuner is it's DVI output....IT HAS SERIOUS FLAWS....

HANDSHAKE PROBLEMS with many TVs....

This causes it to go into a 480i default

+ no picture on tv...Tuner locks you out !!!!

If you fiddle with DVI on box controls you MIGHT get it to work afterabout 10 trys!!!

You will never get it to work from remote on DVI!!!! After getting

HD 1080i on DVI don't

dare try to change channels or you will lose picture!!!!or

default to 480i!!!!

I understand LG

has a firmware fix if you send them your box but,the fix will eliminate DVD HI DEFF. component output....

New programing will only allow DVD on component to output

480i/p THEY ARE AFRAID YOU MIGHT COPY

DVDs in 1080i/720p

New program will only output HD ON DVI CABLE !!!

(SO YOU CAN'T MAKE A HI DEFF.CLONE!!!

QAM output tuner

may also be dis-abled

in future firmware upgrades + newer units!! LG LSS3200A already has had QAM eliminated!!!!

ALL These boxes are hard to find + there are long waiting lists

+ very few are comming from LG to dealers!!!

If you plan to use

component cable video outputs you won't have any of the above DVI problems...The tuner box + DVD will work great for you on component flawlessly!

I BELIEVE THAT

DVI WILL CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS IN FUTURE as

TV + SET TOP BOXES MUST BE ABLE TO TALK TO EACH OTHER OR YOU

WILL GET NO PICTURE!!!

I SEE HOLLYWOOD's HAND HERE...COPY PROTECTION ISSUES....DISNEY DVDs

HAVE BIG TROUBLE PLAYING ON THIS DVD/TUNER BECAUSE OF

MULTI-LAYER ENCRYPTION

METHODS THEY USE!!!!

DVI may also be on it's way out???? Newer

DIGITAL CONNECTIONS ARE ALREADY IN THE WORKS that SHOULD BE

BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE

TO DVI...OR SO THEY SAY???

Thinking I had a bad box I went out and bought a second one

only 200 serial #s apart from two dealers

one local one mailorder!!!! THEY BOTH HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS...and were probably made an hour apart!!!???

I will return one and LIVE with the other,until something

better comes out!!!!

If you want the other

Email me at this site" on thread + I will contact you!!!

It is good for what it does....JUST NOT PERFECT...NO HDTV TUNER BOX to date is without some BUG or another....I PLAN to wait for another upgrade in firmware and use tuner flaws and all...The HD/DT picture is that good!!1If you plan NOT to use DVI it will work well for you too!!! I can live with this one....FOR NOW!!!!! SILVERGHOST

silverghost
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by goosedad » Tue May 11, 2004 12:47 pm

hi, Silver Ghost:
I'd just bought a LST-3510A and I am using DVI cable to TV and coaxial cable to the A/V receiver for sound. I do not have problem getting pictures on the TV. I do not know what firmware version the unit has. Is there a way to tell? I never try the component cable so I do not know if the picture quality is better or worst.

I just put an antenna on the roof, with an amplifer, the signals are overall good (70%). The picture size (4:3) looks normal but the the screen size is small (on a Samsung 61" dlp). The o/p format was in 480p. If I changed the format (upscale) to 720p or 1080i, the screen size is bigger but still black bars on both sides.

While playing DVD, it defaults to 480p. Do you know if it is possible to upscale the format to 720p or 1080i? Somehow I could not do it.

The next thing is the QAM cable input. Our local cable (TimeWarner) cable o/p is scrambled. So QAM does no good. I try to surf the channels but not all scanned channels can be added in Surf.Also the remote control response is slow (sluggish). I can't switch to channel 2 by pressing 2. Number 4 and up has no problem. It is odd.

Overall, it is a good set top box considering the price and the DVD player with DVI o/p. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Goosedad
goosedad
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by slvrghost » Sun May 16, 2004 2:05 pm

Hey, I like the user name!! 

Do you still have one of those boxes that you want to dispose of?  I may be interested.  Email me, or post back here.

Thanks,
Dave

On 2004-04-05 16:39, silverghost wrote:
PART II of TEST REPORT

I will return one and LIVE with the other,until something

better comes out!!!!

If you want the other

Email me at this site" on thread + I will contact you!!!
slvrghost
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by KD » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:05 pm

Hello to all concerned, the following is an update on a recent purchase of a LG LST3510A.  Purchased 5/30/04. 
I have had this unit for about 30 days, and so far so good.  My unit must be the later firmware version referenced in this forum by Silver Ghost, as I have not had any problems with the DVI output.  It is apparent that they patched the firmware on the component output, because even though the front panel indicates that the unit is outputting 1080i, my plasma display indicates it is receiving 480p via the component connection.  So the only way to get the up scaled DVD output is via the DVI connection. Not a problem for me, because that is the way I want to use it.  If you read the manual carefully, it implies this, but dances around it diplomatically.  I have not tried hooking up my digital cable to the system, so I do not know if QAM portion is disabled or not.  I purchased this unit for two reasons, the DVD up scaling with DVI output, combined with HD receiver to go with my Hitachi HD plasma display with only a single DVI output. Picture is great, ease of use is good, the exception being that the remote sucks for DVD use. FF and chapter forward share the same button, making it way to easy to skip forward or back a chapter and then hard to get back to where you were.  Setup was a snap.     I live in the Portland Oregon area and live on a hill facing most of the xmitters for the area, at a distance of about 10 miles.   Needless to say I get great reception. 

KD
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jyinger » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:07 am

I've had my LG 3510a about three months, and I love it.

But my remote has died. First, it lost the ability to change channels. Now, last night, it lost all functionality.

I still get the red LED lights that tell what mode I'm in, but nothing else.

New batteries, incidentally.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jon
jyinger
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Toli » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:52 pm

jyinger- Welcome to Agoraquest. My first move would be to ask the place you got your LG 3510A from to replace the remote, IMHO a remote shouldn't die in the first three months.
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by luisandres58 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:09 pm

I bought the lst 3510a about a week ago. When I play the dvd with a ripped dvd, the dvd jumps from scene to scene, as if I were fastforwarding. It also skips the beginningof the dvd starting with the menus. I don't get this with my old Sony dvp-s560d. What can I do? or do I have to hook up my sony again? . Otherwise the receiver gets good reception out of cable.

luisandres58
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to Satellite Receiver/TiVo