[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony MHC-771 "No Disc" Error when trying to play CDs

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:15 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony MHC-771 "No Disc" Error when trying to play CDs

Sony MHC-771 "No Disc" Error when trying to play CDs

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with any other Sony product not listed in one of the other categories.

Moderator: jttar

by tomcat_fan » Thu Oct 04, 2001 5:19 am

Subject says most of it.. I bought this system in 1997, and I haven't used the CD player much, but semi-often.. I still use the system a lot though, as I have it hooked up to my VCR for some temporary (getting a Wega and DVPNS300 as soon as possible!) at least audio niceness. It since last year it has been really randomly picky about discs, and now it says "no Disc" almost every time I try to use it. I paid 700 $ for it only 4 years ago, so it's kinda disappointing to have this happen, especially since my Discman from about 1993 still works perfectly.

MY question is, does anyone know a possible problem or solution here? It sometimes will recognise how many tracks are on a disc, but the music still skips. I put in one of those cleaning discs but it did nothing I guess. Thanks for any help/advice!
tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by claudio » Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:16 am

My first response would be to use a cd player cleaner. But I see you have done that already. Most of the time its because of a dirty laser lens. And since you have had it 4 years. This is my number solution. I would get a good cd cleaner and try it again. If that doesn't work, than the laser lens might be misaligned. Also is it possible that the cd are scratched or are dirty themselves
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by tomcat_fan » Fri Oct 05, 2001 2:47 pm

This lens cleaner only had brushes. DO any come with leaning solutions? The guy at The Sony Store said that the lens might have clouded for some reason.. Ever hear of this? It's a 3 CD changer, I've never been near the lens with anything, and sometimes it works fine. There's no reason for it to be misaligned I don't think. I'll try the cleaner I have once in a while, but I think I may have a tape/reciever on my hands. Since I'm about 2 months away from getting a DVD player (which I'm going to run through it anyway), it might not be worth paying for a new laser or a 25$ diagnostic check..

Also, thanks very much for your response.
tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by claudio » Fri Oct 05, 2001 5:42 pm

My DVD/CD cleaner cd has two brushes on either side. Plus it had a small bottle of liquid. Which the instructions said to put a couple of drops on either brush.

I believe most CD cleaner should have liquid on the brushes. I helps it clean better.

Same as cleaning a window, you need to put some kind of cleaner liquid to make it clean
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by tomcat_fan » Fri Oct 05, 2001 6:38 pm

Ahh, makes sence! I borrowed this cleaner from my girlfriend's house, didn't see any cleaner fluid on the shelf when I got it. Should I attempt it with alcohol?
I hate to say it, but my view (near worshop) of Sony has been just slightly tainted from this if it's the laser that's screwy. I have Sony Xplod for my car, a minidisc player, my previously mentioned mini-system, my discman (working like a top since '93), a boombox thing in the living room.. This is kinda unnerving for me if it's a quality issue, especially since I'm a couple of months away from spending 1100$ on a Wega (droooool!) and DVD player. I hope it's not a poor product. Even though it did work flawlessly for 4 years it is a bit of a fly in my Sony ointment. I still wanna hold them in high regard but this worries me. I still like 'em about 95% as much as I did, but I hope my DVD/TV work fine for more than a few years. Rant rant rant, sorry.

And another thing, the jog-dial thing on the front has, within the last month or two, gotten a ver stick, wet paint feel to it so that the coating comes off and gets fingerprinted when you touch it?!?!? The temperature is rarely above 800 F in my room, so I was wondering about that too. Have you heard of tacky feeling jog dials before??
tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by tomcat_fan » Fri Oct 05, 2001 6:42 pm

One more thing, is my Wega going to be useless once HDTV comes around? (Whenever that happens...) I thought I heard there'd be adapters for existing sets when it's the standard..
tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by claudio » Sat Oct 06, 2001 5:57 am

Alchol would be a good alternative liquid. But probably window cleaner would be the best. As for the Jog dial, that looks like a rare problem. I have never seen it.

Your Wega will not be useless when HDTV comes around. By 2006 all broadcast channels will be HD.

It just will be that your Wega if its not HD ready won't be able to take advantage of the HD broadcast. You can still see the broadcast but not in HD.

But by then most HD television will be relatively cheap. Plus, it's 4 years away.
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by tomcat_fan » Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:20 pm

Ahh, great! Sometimes it regognizes how many tracks are on a disc and played them a bit, and other times it says no disc. I would think that if the laser was dead, it would be consistently one or the other wouldn't it? I'll try some Windex now..

Thanks for the HDTV info too. Those were all good points.
tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by claudio » Sun Oct 07, 2001 7:51 am

I agree. The laser is probably not the problem.
But a dirty lens should be it. Try the Windex and tell me if it fixes it.
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by tomcat_fan » Sun Oct 07, 2001 10:20 am

OK, I tried that, and the Windex was smeared toward the outside of the disc (indicating that at least it was spinning), but the problem is still there. I wonder if the brushes, which are at about the 1/2 way point of the cleaning disc, missed the laser. Maybe?
I'm wondering if I could expose the laser if I took the unit apart (it's already off warranty). Or would it be in a box, like the metal around a CD-ROM drive, and be inaccessable?
I've only tried cleaning it once, but I'll try again. Like I mentioned, sometimes it will actually read the # of tracks on a disc, and be able to access them. Maybe if I keep trying, I'll get lucky and catch it at a point where it'll read the cleaning disc, and I can fast forward it back and forth across the laser.

Think I could take it apart and clean the laser with a Q-Tip?

tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to Other (Tape, Short Wave, Phono, etc.)