[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - TDK or Maxell cassettes?

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:45 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - TDK or Maxell cassettes?

TDK or Maxell cassettes?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with any other Sony product not listed in one of the other categories.

Moderator: jttar

by Sonyfan64 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:59 pm

I am getting back into cassette recording because i like the warm analog sound and i just purchased a mint sony TC-KA3ES deck,which brand TDK or Maxell do you all prefer for sound quality and durability?

Sonyfan64
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by kradelade » Sun May 11, 2014 3:11 pm

why not sony tapes? i imagine a sony deck would work best with sony tapes, and sony made excellent tapes.

but since you are wondering about tdk or maxell, it's a toss up, really. i have tape from all major manufacturers. unfortunately, tdk metals seem to suffer from some sort of binder decomposition where they leave a white powder on the heads and rollers.

i really like maxell xlii-s, they are just so quiet. but my favorite tape is good old first gen sony metal es. my tc-k950es just loves it and i can't even drive that tape into terrible distortion with the record level maxed.
kradelade
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by sterling1 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:50 am

My TC-K950ES will only work well with Maxell tape. Modern Sony tape will just get chewed up. I like my tape recorder, I still use it as I do my Sony PCM-7010 DAT Recorders; but, the best sound I get is from my computer.
sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Reinhart » Thu May 22, 2014 4:07 pm

TDK makes a good tape, but if given a choice: Maxell.

Maxell is virtually always a safe choice when it comes to audio tape, especially if we're talking hi-bias and metal bias cassettes.

Heck, as an aside, their UD-35 series tape for open reel recorders are good ... and those M logo reels always looks mesmerizingly good rolling on my Teac.

Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

Return to Other (Tape, Short Wave, Phono, etc.)