[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - ISO: TC-WA9ES (&others) circuit boards

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:33 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - ISO: TC-WA9ES (&others) circuit boards

ISO: TC-WA9ES (&others) circuit boards

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with any other Sony product not listed in one of the other categories.

Moderator: jttar

by cbe77@verizon.net » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:07 am

Hello All, If anybody finds themselves parting out a TC-WA9ES, WA7ESA, WR99ES, etc... I am looking for this circuit board combo. The attached jpeg kind of says it all. When my previous 9ES sat overnight (after Sony Laredo dropped it and dented the cover), it was a 50/50 proposition that it would power up on first pressing of the power switch. With the L/S deck's door open, you could access the top of the white connector. This was tied into the power switch on/off position and is where the flat 8 pin wiring harness inserts. You could very gently tap the top of this connector, and the unit would come on. There is obviously a bad solder joint or a printed circuit run has a hairline crack in it. Visual inspection w/magnifying glass and DVOM readings  for continuities have revealed nothing so far. Parts are N/A from Sony, of course.
Thanks for looking,    AD
cbe77@verizon.net
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Reinhart » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Do you know of anyone who could try to fix the broken part?
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by cbe77@verizon.net » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:15 pm

Reinhart, The offending party has never been identified, Sony Laredo must have done some damage to it during the tear down while replacing the slider brake on Deck A. I have since moved on, between eBay and Craig's List purchases I now have two perfectly functioning WA9ES decks. The two should last me until I have transferred all of my cassettes to CD. I am hoping my CDRW-33 will endure this marathon task... Cheers, AD
cbe77@verizon.net
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by deniz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:13 am

This is actually the case of bad PCB manufacturing. Try using a lead pencil and move it over the tracks, since it has carbon in it, it sometimes fixes the very small disconnected tracks which we can’t even see from a magnifying glass at times. I know I’m going to be giving a layman’s advice if I say that you can try pressing it and or use a small clamp over that area if it works. Hope it helped.

deniz
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by cbe77@verizon.net » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:57 am

Deniz, Thanks. I found a very kind tape deck expert who is working on this when he feels the urge. I will probably end up having him just send both complete deck assemblies back. When the decks do have power, both work great, and have had the belts and capstan motors replaced. I'll seal them up in baggies and have a nice little nest egg. As it stands now, I have three perfectly running 9ES decks, one from eBay, two from Craig's List. Two were really nice, w/very little or no wear on the pinch rollers. The other one was dirty on the outside, (it looked like dried plaster!), but removing the cover and giving everything a good cleaning was all it needed. There was none of this white powder or any other detritus on the inside. AD
cbe77@verizon.net
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by mhedges » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Man I just moved and wound up landfilling a WR97ES. It had problems but maybe it had some parts that could have helped you. Sorry!
mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Other (Tape, Short Wave, Phono, etc.)