[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - I have a Sony PS-LX520 Turntable [hardly used] is it any good?

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - I have a Sony PS-LX520 Turntable [hardly used] is it any good?

I have a Sony PS-LX520 Turntable [hardly used] is it any good?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with any other Sony product not listed in one of the other categories.

Moderator: jttar

by submariner » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:02 am

Interested to know if this turntable was/is any good?.  For me it seemed fine, as with auto linear tracking it's easy to use, sounds the same today as it did in 1991, when I bought it.

But now I want to digitise my LP's, I could buy a Phone Preamp  with USB out.  Problem is I know nothing about Phono so don't even know how to judge my current kit   let alone a phono preamp. Don't want to spend money on something worse than I already have . Especially as I already have a phono preamp inside the 7100Es, hence I'm only buying it for the USB and of course the DtoA converter.
The other caution for me is I really want as few boxes as possible, but it could make the job a lot quicker & easier.

Currently I've experimented recordiing on a RDR GX7  DVD recorder - and extracting the audio files in Audacity. A bit of a pain and I can only get 256 kbps @ 48kHz.  But sounds OK ish???? out of an iPhone 4S.  
So I guess this post is all about do I get some kit to do the conversion or is my Turntable rubbish and therefore there is no point spending any money to improve the recording. Also if the Pro-Ject's Preamp is considereably worse than the 7100ES's phono stage; am I better off having a lower format recording of a better source, than a higher format recording of an inferior input?

A possible solution is the Pro-Ject Phonobox  USB V. But has it better or worse specs than the 7100's Phono stage?  i.e. if better I would leave it there permenantly or I do just use it for the conversion job, that knowing me will take a lot of time.

Any views on my choice [eg I can't even equate the S/N ratio beteen the Sony and the Project (as they talk about Noise Floor) they don't seem to use the same benchmarks]
would be much appreciated.

Thanks Peter    (Specs of Kit below)

A few facts:-
PS-LX520 specs.  Direct drive, Quarts Lock, Brushless Motor. Wow and Flutter 0.03% WRMS, +/- 0.035% wrms, +/- 0.045% Din.  Die Cast Aluminium Body.
S:N 75 dB
Speed Deviation Less Than +/- 0.003%
Tone arm tracking error  +/- 0.1%
Moving Magnet XL-300G CartridgeStylus ND-300G. Output voltage: 3.5mV at 1 kHz. Wt 6Grams Trackig force 1.25g
Channel Separation 20 dB at 1 kHz. Frequecy respponse 20Hz to 20 kHz

Played into:-
STR DA 7100ES AVR with integrated Phono stage:
Specs Sensitivity 2.5mV, Impedance 50kohms, S/N : 86 dB (thats all it says so I guess I'm lucky it had one at all!)

Pro-Ject Phonobox USB V Specs.
Input impedance, MM47kohms/120pF
Input impedance, MC100ohms/120pF
Gain, MM40dB
Output voltage typically300mV/1kHz at 3mV/1kHz (MM input)
Gain, MC60dB
Gain, line level input11dB
Max. output9,5Vrms (1kHz)
Noise floor, MM86dB (94dB - A weighted)
Noise floor, MC68dB (75dB - A weighted)
THD, MM0,01%
THD, MC0,05%
RIAA-equalisation curve accuracy20Hz - 20kHz / max. 0,5dB
A/D converter16-Bit Delta Sigma
Sampling rates32, 44,1 and 48kHz
USB outputdigital serial data protocol USB 1.1
THD0.005%
Noise floor96dB
Dynamic range93dB
Outboard power supply16V/200mA AC, suitable for your country's mains supply
Power consumption16V/100mA AC
Dimensions W x H x D (D with sockets)103 x 36 x 103 (115)mm
Weight580g without power supply

SONY: Receiver/Amp STR-DA7100ES, Sub Amp.TA-F770ES, BluRay BDP-S5000ES, DVD/CD RDR-GX7
LOEWE TV: Loewe Individual Selection 40" Full HD HD+
submariner
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by submariner » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:06 am

Forgot to say the Computer used to store the digital files is a new Sony Vaio i7 processor, 8 gB RAM, Windows 7, 64-bit H.P.
SONY: Receiver/Amp STR-DA7100ES, Sub Amp.TA-F770ES, BluRay BDP-S5000ES, DVD/CD RDR-GX7
LOEWE TV: Loewe Individual Selection 40" Full HD HD+
submariner
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by sterling1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:08 am

I have a few LP's that I've digitized, needing only a X-FI HD interface and Roxio LP to MP3 software to make the conversion as easy I perceived it could be. Since my pre/pro has a phono input for a magnetic cartridge I did not need to buy a phono preamp. I just send the player's analog RCA signal to pre/pro and  from tape output send RCA analog to X-FI where it's converted to digital at 16/44 which is the only bit/sampling rate the Roxio software will accept. I separate tracks with the Roxio software and then move files to iTunes where I can add metadata and album art. I don't actually need the pre/pro BTW since the X-FI will also equalize, but, since my turntable is already hooked up to my pre/pro why make it harder than it needs to be.

The conversions sound identical to the LP's; but, when creating tracks I edit the snap, crackle, and pop, in silent groove between tracks on LP's that are not actually silent. This makes listening to the digital conversion much more pleasant as well as more convenient than listening to the LP version.

If you have a lot of LP's I think a CD recorder might take less time. Something like the TASCAM 901 would do a good job.

As far as what I think of your turntable and cartridge being adequate in delivering the LP's content as good as  might be heard using another turntable and cartridge combination, who knows. I say just experiment, listening to material from LP and same material on a pre recorded CD to see if you find they sound different. If you cannot discern a difference other than snap, crackle, and pop then use the turntable you've got. If you can discern a difference with the CD's sounding better then estimate the cost of just buying a CD version of all of your LP's and compare the cost of buying a new turntable and cartridge, adding of course the time it will take you to make the conversions.

sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by moardie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:57 am

People who have them like their performance. I have a friend that loves the Control (S) feature, and that is why he uses it. Now does it compare to a Sony Biotracer? Probably not.
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

Return to Other (Tape, Short Wave, Phono, etc.)