[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Which DAT (DIGITAL TAPE) DECK SHOULD I BUY???

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:14 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Which DAT (DIGITAL TAPE) DECK SHOULD I BUY???

Which DAT (DIGITAL TAPE) DECK SHOULD I BUY???

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with any other Sony product not listed in one of the other categories.

Moderator: jttar

by silverghost » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:03 pm

I am interested in buying a SONY DAT (Digital Audio Tape Deck (Recorder/Player)Which Sony model # should I buy???  I know these decks were never very popular and did not really sell well in the USA...In fact...They were thought to be a threat to the record industry who tried to lobby congress to prevent them from being sold here at all because digital copies are always a perfect "clone" of the origional recording!!!
    There are many listed on the Web from Dealers (New!) as well as slightly used units on EBay...
    Should I buy a Sony "ES" unit or a standard Sony consumer unit???
Did any of these deck model # have any problems that I should avoid???
    Is there anyone out there that still uses their DAT Deck on a regular basis???
    Are these DAT Decks worthwhile...or should I just buy a high-end Sony Cd burner???
      Thank's for all your opinions...
          Silverghost 

silverghost
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by retate » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:46 pm

Silverghost

My personal experience is with older Sony DAT decks so I can only comment from that perspective.  I still own a DTC-700 and it gets used from time to time for live recording.  If I was doing enough live recording to justify the expenditure I would be using current technology such as the Tascam DV-RA1000 or the new DV-RA1000HD.  Devices such as the Tascam have much better A-to-D and D-to-A converters and they can record at higher sample rates all of which will contribute to improved audio quality. 

In the older Sony DAT models such as the one I have the only difference between non ES and ES versions was one or possibly two ICs as documented in the service manual which covered both models.  My DAT deck has never been heavily used, but in the 16 years I have owned it the only maintenance that has been done on it is head cleaning which has been done by hand.  I have not used a cleaning tape on it.

Bob
retate
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by silverghost » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:39 pm

I appreciate your reply... The real use that I have for a DAT is for the occasional recording of family music (kids wife etc.. concerts etc...
   I have a normal casette recorder but thought that I might buy a Sony Portable DAT as well as a larger Sony DAT deck to get better digital recordings that I could then edit and later burn to a CD media for long term enjoyment!!!
   The old casette's quality is not even close to the DAT's digital recording qualty!!!
    I was at a friend's home over the holidays and their DAT deck's sound quality just stunned me!!!
    My first thought...
    I just have to get one of these decks!!!
  To my surprise they are just not being sold new in the High End Audio& Video stores anymore!!!
    Does anyone know the very last High-End DAT deck model # that Sony built???
When approx were these great units last sold in the USA???
silverghost
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by David_S » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:12 pm

I have a pair of DTC-690 decks that I bought new in 1995 and used them for archiving vinyl & recording FM broadcasts.  Now I only use one of them for transferring material I have previously recorded on DAT tape into the PC for archiving into lossless compressed FLAC files and burning onto CDs.

I now use an MDS-JA3ES minidisc deck as an A/D converter to import digitized analogue audio in to the PC.

DAT is a dying technology, only get one if you want it as a collector's item & then get a top end recent model ES unit.
TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by silverghost » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 am

Thank's...I understand that these DAT Decks are now not on the cutting-edge...BUT for what I want it for it should work out well!!!
     Does anyone know the model # s of the last Sony ES "Top of the Line" DAT decks??? 
silverghost
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by David_S » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:23 pm

This link has info on some Sony DAT decks

http://farzeno.club.fr/sonydek.htm

I think Sony discontinued consumer model DAT decks about 5 years ago, the newest model name I can find is DTC-ZA5ES.
TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by MarkJM » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:59 pm

The one to look out for is the Sony DTC 2000ES.

It is the king of the non-studio decks and was the reference Sony unit.  It is superbly constructed but can be difficult to come by.

There are some fantastic pictures at http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/DTC2000ES/DTC2000ES.html
MarkJM
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by vinny55 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Whoever is still looking for the mega rare $3000 Sony DTC-2000ES dat player i have one for sale. but im not going to give it away. see my add here from canada:
serious enquiries only

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/138302-dragon_of_dat_machines_sony_dtc2000es_wow_4_heads_/
vinny55
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by sterling1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:39 am

I've got a pair of Sony PCM-7010F's with a RM-D7200 edit controller. Awesome, plus, these units are still serviceable. Flat rate is $895.00 to rebuild as required to meet specs. You can buy one of these today for peanuts off E-Bay and have a really good recorder, as good as any time-code recorder out there today for a fraction of the price.  Back in 1995 I paid $7200 for each of my units and another $2750 for the dual remote controller. Mine have time-code generator, AES/EBU digital i/o, and memory start options. These units are edit accurate to about 3 frames. The PCM-7010 may be the best sounding DAT recorder that Sony made. I also have owned 75es and 87es units, as well as a PCM-300, but none of these are in the class of the 7000 series, which are built like tanks for broadcast and post production work.

sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by TMC » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi,

It´s a fact that the DAT-technology for some is a dying kind of record and replay high quality music. But nevertheless it is a very important step in the Sony brands heritage and for any of us in this eminent forum it has its place in a complete collection!

If  you´re considering a very nice sample of the heritage of digital recording technology you look after a DTC-1000ES just because it was Sonys FIRST DAT-recorder - it is just as simple as that!

Otherwise you look for a model in the ES-series as new as possible, but then you are just up to a competitor to the same age of a quite good ES Minidisc...

Whatever model  you choose/find one thing is more important than others:

You can´t use it once in a while - you must realize that the DAT-decks has so many security functions built-in to secure that the tape isn´t destroyed so you must use the deck let´s say once a week!!

Most DAT-decks I know give the owner trouble just because they don´t use it!!

If you risk to not use it so often, just remember to play a cassette from the start to end once a week!!

Normally you don´t use the deck so much that you rip it out, the risk is bigger that it get you into trouble because you are using it to seldom!

Good luck!

I hope you let us know what you will find in your reseach for a nice DAT-recorder!

TMC
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

Next

Return to Other (Tape, Short Wave, Phono, etc.)