[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony DVP-S9000ES will not play SACD stereo layer on multi channel/format discs

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:56 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony DVP-S9000ES will not play SACD stereo layer on multi channel/format discs

Sony DVP-S9000ES will not play SACD stereo layer on multi channel/format discs

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by sterling1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:01 am

I recently purchased "Brothers In Arms" a multi channel SACD having stereo SACD, as well as CD layers. Only the CD layer of this SACD will play. This prompted me to get out all of my multi channel SACD's and play them. I discovered that all multi channel and stereo  SACD's with a CD layer will only play as CD's. Multi channel SACD's with stereo SACD but without a CD  layer play stereo SACD just fine. What's broken here? BTW, my remote, which has a SACD/CD button will not function.
sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 am

I recently had the same issue (inability to read multi-tracks on hybrid SACD) with my AVD-C70ES.  I purchased a second AVD-C70ES for spare parts and found that swapping the DVD mechanisms between the units corrected the problem.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by sterling1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:31 am

Further investigation reveals all of my hybrid SACD's will play the SACD stereo layer, with one exception.  Also, some of my recently purchased hybrid discs will only play the stereo SACD layer from a condition when the DVP-S9000ES has  not been warmed up.  For example, after playing a disc's stereo SACD layer and then inserting another disc, the player will read CD. Does this help anyone to help me to understand the needed repair?
sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 am

Your 2 channel  + multi-channel SACDs are single layer.  Your Super Audio CD + CD (hybrid) discs have two layers with the Super Audio CD layer below the CD (hybrid) layer.  The fact that all but one of your 2 channel + multi-channel SACD + CD (hybrid) discs can play the 2 channel SACD tracks, but not the Multi-channel when the unit is cold suggests to me that the 2 channel SACD tracks are on the top layer with the CD (hybrid) tracks.  For your one exception, I suspect that both the 2 channel and multi-channel tracks are on the bottom layer.  In short, the problem is reading data from the bottom layer.  This is probably due to inadequate 650 nm laser intensity.  I tried cleaning the lens in my unit, but that didn't help.

What you need to do is either replace the PICK-UP UNIT or the BASE UNIT.  The PICK-UP UNIT is less expensive than the BASE UNIT, but is difficult to remove from and install in the BASE UNIT.  I discovered that the hard way.  I referred to the BASE UNIT as the DVD mechanism. Its very easy to remove and replace.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by sterling1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:09 pm

What does a pick-up unit for the DVP-S9000ES cost. If it is difficult to install perhaps I can take it to a local electronics repair shop which has impressed me having  repaired some of my Sony ES stuff. What is the warm and cold about, is that suggesting it's a laser problem rather than transistor in need of replacement?
sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 am

I don't have access to the DVP-S9000ES service manual, so I can't look up the part.  I would have your local electronics repair shop look it up for you and give you a repair estimate.  I have no way of knowing what is temperature sensitive in the DVP-S9000ES.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by David_S » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:22 pm

The Sony part # for the laser pick up unit is A-6062-397-A (KHM-220AAA).   Sony site refers to part # 991099935, listed "part no longer available".

I have 1 hybrid SACD that is stereo only that my DVP-S9000ES will not play.  The player gives a "C 13 00" message.  That disc will play on my DVP-NS999ES players.

The stereo section of my other hybrid stereo only & stereo + multi-channel SACDs will play without hesitation or fault no my DVP-S9000ES.

I think that the disc that will not play on the DVP-S9000ES is at fault, despite the fact that it will play without problem on my DVP-NS999ES players.

I did buy a new optical pick up for the DVP-S9000ES in Feb 2012 "just in case".  It has net been installed yet because only the 1 disc will not play in the DVP-S9000ES & I think it is the disc not the player.  The DVP-S9000ES might have tighter tolerance specs than the DVP-NS999ES.

Here is a very good explanation of SACD disc design.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by sterling1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:54 am

I purchased the laser head. It will arrive today. I hope it will fix my issue. Is this something I can install myself?
sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:26 am

It depends on what you got. If its in a metal enclosure, you shouldn't have any problem. Just be sure to note how you removed the old assembly and reverse the steps when you install the new assembly.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by sterling1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:25 am

I just got my player back from the service center. It now plays SACD's hot or cold and it plays Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD which it would not play before the repair. Thanks to all for help identifying the part in need of replacement and to Amazon for helping find the part.
sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to MD/CD/SACD