[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - 1989 608ESD PICS

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - 1989 608ESD PICS

1989 608ESD PICS

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by Johnnycanso » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 am

My newly acquired CDP-608ESD. Nice power supply, premium elna caps, Twin Burr-Brown PCM58P DAC'S, & the beautiful KSS-151A laser. I also like the yellow focus & gain adjustment pots for the laser, to the right of the transport. Anyone know what the nice copper rails are for beside the PCM DACS???

Johnnycanso
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Johnnycanso » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:50 am

A 508ESD just came up 4 sale on Canuck if anyone is interested in these rock solid ESD units

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648988728-sony_cdp508esd/

Johnnycanso
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by mykyll2727 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Great Pics! Thanks for sharing!_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by RickeyM » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Op-amps help process the audio signal after it leaves the digital-to-analog processing chips. Upgrading these only makes sense if you're using the analog oututs of your CD player. From the time when your  608ESD was made to present day, better Op-amp IC's have been made. Simply installing newer Op-amps (unsoldering/soldering) more modern chips will give you a noticeable increase in SQ.

That said, looking at your pics as hard as I can. I cannot find any Op-amps in there. Either this model has discreet circuitry to do what Op-amps do (a good thing) or maybe there are some IC's on the bottom of the circuit board. I agree, after 23yrs, it probalby wouldn't hurt to do a re-cap either. Espescially on the places that have lowe grade caps to begin with.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by David_S » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 pm

You might want to take a look at the wiring mess near the outputs.  It looks like some improvements could be done there.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mhedges » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:45 am

If you go to the trouble to desolder the old op-amps then I would put a socket in. That way it is really easy to swap opamps.
mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:24 am

The 508ESD/608ESD are wonderful players in stock form with a ton of modding potential. Snag them whenever you find them. I will never sell mine. I would love to find a 608ESD like this to compare to my 508ESD>
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Johnnycanso » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:21 am

I'm lovin' the 608ESD, its my weekend warrior player at the moment!!!

Gotta get some more pics up when i get a chance, as i've upgraded the power cord to 14ga. with a beefier Leviton plug.
I disassembled the body structure & copper shielded both inside side panels & the back panel for even more insulation.
I added some new rubber/felt feet to the existing ceramic feet as this one was missing its pads. The rubber feet are a good half inch thick & keep the player nice & planted & vibration free. I have a vintage 25Ib Sony PS-X4 Turntable with huge adj. rubber, sorta the same idea.
I also sanded & painted the top cover of the 608 just last week & hope to get it copper shielded some time this week.

Its been a great player so far & has been flawless with any & all cd's that i've thrown at it...she's a keeper in my books   

Johnnycanso
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by mykyll2727 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:39 pm

I'd love to see the pics of your mods/upgrades. I'm glad to hear that it's working great for you. What exactly did you do w/regard to adding the copper shielding?_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:00 pm

On 2012-04-22 07:21, Johnnycanso wrote:

I added some new rubber/felt feet to the existing ceramic feet as this one was missing its pads. The rubber feet are a good half inch thick & keep the player nice & planted & vibration free. I have a vintage 25Ib Sony PS-X4 Turntable with huge adj. rubber, sorta the same idea.

If the decoupling of the rubber feet that you are using now are working well you might consider trying using some inexpesive Sorbothane feet in that they turn the energy from vibration into a small amount of heat and it is dissipated. I have been using Sorbothane feet on my Digital processors and DAC for many years with great sonic success.

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to MD/CD/SACD