[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 soundcard

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:32 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 soundcard

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 soundcard

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by scott1019 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:20 pm

I am anxiously awaiting my Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 soundcard.   I purchased it based on the recommendation of a friend who is in the recording industry.   It has all the features I was looking for in a Asynch USB to S/PDIF device as well as the benefit of an internal DAC if needed.  I will send it first to my Sony EP9ES DAC via a glass toslink and then try the internal DAC and report my findings.  For those interested here is the card.  

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 soundcard

I have spoken to users who prefer it to the Musical Fidelity V-link when sent to an external DAC and many are using its internal DAC as well.    For the modest cost of $50 shipped I am thrilled and excited to get my hands on one.  Its certainly an upgrade to my Soundblaster USB device.  

The only problem I will have when using my current DAC is that it is only able to process 48 Khz...  and I may need to upgrade to a different DAC, but this is no different that if I went with the V-link or other Async USB to S/PDIF device.  
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Still trying to confirm for certain that this card essentially does the same thing as a USB Asynch device, but only internally. I have been told that it does, but nothing 100% conclusive as of yet. I apologize if anyone interprets that I made this assumption.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 pm

I have contacted the company with this email... If there is anything else to add please let me know and I will contact them.

"I would like to talk with someone who can explain to me how this soundcard eliminates jitter to the S/PDIF (optical) output. Are there any measurements taken to show the amount of jitter? I have been contemplating getting an Asynchronous USB to S/PDIF converter which to my understanding eliminates all jitter. I have been told by an expert that I trust that this card does essentially the same thing. Is this only true when using the internal DAC and analog outputs? Would someone be able to elaborate more on this for me? Thank you so much! I am looking to recommend this card to others and would like to get to the bottom of this."

Here is there contact info..

info@audiotrak.net.
Here are our contact details:
AUDIOTRAK
c/o ESI Audiotechnik GmbH
Brennerstrasse 48
D-71229 Leonberg
Germany

Phone: +49 (0)7152 / 398880
Fax: +49 (0)7152 / 398887
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:27 pm

So far so good with the audiocard. There is a noticeable popping sound most likely coming from the wireless Net card located near it. I will remove it as its not in use, other than that, it sounds awesome!
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Popping sound gone! Nothing but amazing sounding music remains. I decided to move the sound card down to the lowest PCI port to minimize the possibility of any other interference. It has a aux input and I am wondering if I should run the cable from my DVD drive to the sound card? It is currently ran to the motherboard. I should note that there is no power supply cable needed for this card and that its plug and play. Headphone amp is internal and to my ears is remarkable... Overall I am very happy with the performance. Now to test against an Asynch USB device. Using the DB930 as my "PC amp/DAC" for the time being.. EP9ES is being put on the shelf for another day.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Current computer based audio is an amazing improvement over the early SoundBlaster cards.

I ramped up building my next PC, the motherboard is an Asus P8P67 Deluxe.  It has digital optical & coaxial output on it.  I am curious as to how good they are.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by sterling1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 pm

I don't know about early Sound Blaster cards or for that matter any but the one my Dell Inspiron 14 came with and the X-FI HD I am using right now. It does everything I need an interface to do: ADC, to digitize my vinyl, DAC to get computer audio to HT RCA  inputs, or USB to optical S/PDIF to get computer audio to HT digital Toslink input, as well as optical S/PDIF to USB to get DAT or MD to computer. Whether going to computer from HT or from computer to HT, everything can pass through at 24/96; and, so far, my iTunes files, 256k,  24/96, or anything in between those, up sampled to 24/96, sound indistinguishable from SACD. My only issue is with S/PDIF to USB, I simply do not know the procedure/settings to get this function to work as there were no instructions regarding it. Last time I used this function to get a DAT recording to the computer, when played back from the computer it was at double speed. It sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks. What's that all about? I hope to learn how to use the S/PDIF to USB function as it will allow me to send DAT to the computer. At any rate, I'm very happy with my X-FI HD although not at all happy with its very poorly written and incomplete instructions. I would like to see internal sound cards able to send and receive it all with HDMI and coax S/PDIF inputs/outputs so that all off this adapter/interface stuff will no longer be necessary. Until then I think the next best thing is a Wi-Fi universal BD player which can receive the computer's data, or an HTPC.  My next purchase will be a Sony BDP-S780 or Oppo BD-95.  I may also purchase a Tascam 901 Professional CD recorder. With it I can directly record DAT to CD, and, thereafter rip the CD to computer, thus avoiding the S/PDIF to USB which again has been a hassle.

sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to MD/CD/SACD