[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - CD player observations

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - CD player observations

CD player observations

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by scott1019 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:52 pm

I never meant to criticize you in anyway... in the future please don't answer my PM in an open forum, thanks! I don't need anymore trouble around here.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:28 pm

No criticism taken I assure you. I felt it was a very legitimate question. If I were someone else and knew my emphasis was on music SQ not movie SQ I'd wonder why I chose a high end 6ch amp over a high end 2ch too. On the surface it seems like I could get more bang for the same buck going for a 2ch. Or even a pair of monos. That's why I put it in open forum. I thought there might be some who know me wondering the same thing._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mykyll2727 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:47 pm

I have no explanation for the difference in sound quality on Ilink. I'm certainly no expert but it doesn't seem to me that the clocks would'nt matter since it seems to me cables don't. This seems to me would be especially true when using HATS since the info is stored in a buffer and then sent out by the receiver's clocks. Yet I found there to be SQ differences even when using HATS._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by scott1019 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Since no one has yet to subscribe to this thread, thanks I'm sure to my bastardization from these forums by someone I will leave nameless.. who is also shameless. I will make a recommendation for you. I don't want this word to get out like this same person has let leak about DB930, making it all but impossible to find a nice one... but have you ever tried the Sony DVP-S9000ES?

This is still to this day the best sounding SACD player I have ever heard for 2-channel recordings. Only the Pioneer ELITE's with their ability to recognize DSD have been any better, however once I send this signal to my reference amp, it has lost all its moxy, sounds pretty regular. Only a receiver like your DA9000ES which stays in the digital domain until the output stage can really benefit from DSD despite what those in the know will lead you believe.

No mods are required with the S9000ES, nor do you need an i.Link receiver. Hook up its analog interconnects to your favorite amp and go! Its better than the SACDmods 555ES and 999ES, as well as the 9100ES.
In fact, only my PC audio sent to my external DAC has reached this level of perfection.

If you try one and like it better than the XA9000ES, that means I get a free trip to Vegas from the proceeds right? You may ditch both the 9100ES and XA9000ES once you do. No external DAC required either, the internal DAC, clock, and output stage is as good as any stock unit built by Sony or any other manufacturer for SACD playback.

Buy one online for less than $150, if you are not totally satisfied I will take it off your hands no questions asked .
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:59 pm

I'm really looking to go the computer route. One of my reasons is so I can stop using seperate CDPs so I'm not at all interested in adding any more. But I appreciate the offer. I agree that the S9000ES is one heck of a built player. Never owned one myself though. If everything works out the way I plan I'll be downsizing and getting rid of most of my CDPs. The only ones I'd be looking to keep are my modded 555ES and the XA.
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by scott1019 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:07 pm

I have gone the exact same route. I bought this Sony mega changer to consolidate my collection, but it arrived DOA> Now I want to keep ONLY the 508ESD and go the route of PC audio. I like the KISS theory too. Keep It Simple Stupid .
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm definitely looking to apply the KISS rule to my system. I looked around the living room at all of the space devoted to disc warehousing. Then I looked hard at my main system and the mumber of components in it. Most of which get very little use but all were acquired in my quest for the best sound I could achieve within my budget constraints. I had for some time wrestled with having the XA modded to bring it's performance level up. For better sound. But I just could no longer feel good about having that kind of investment in units I used to call short timers. Gear that I've now come to refer to as "disposable". (Thanks Joe!!!). (To my mind disposable gear are such things as CDPs, DVPs, CDRs, BRPs, receivers, processors. Anything that one can be fairly certain will become obsolete in a few short years because of advancements in tech/design or/and will be unusable because of the inability to maintain their functionality due to a lack of parts such as lasers.) For some time I'd comtemplated going the computer route but had procrastinated. When the DA9kES started acting up that was the kick in the hinny I needed. I just looked at everything and said this is crazy it's time to do something different._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by scott1019 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:15 pm

I couldn't agree more! Going through something similar here too. I got the mega changer working finally! Looking forward to my Audio Alchemy interface to get this puppy singing.

scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Good to hear you got the CX777ES working properly.

Totally agree with your opinion about the DVP-S9000ES, it is incredible sounding for 2 CH SACD.

Some people might be using the wrong analog outputs when playing 2 CH SACD from some multi-channel SACD players.  THE DVP-NS999ES will put 2 CH SACD & CD out simultaneously through the 2 CH L/R outputs & front L/R multi-channel outputs.  Different DACs are used for the 2 CH & multi-channel outputs.

A SACD played in 2 channel mode will not sound as good through the 2 CH outputs as it would through the front L/R multi-channel outputs.

The DVP-S9000ES is built better than the DVP-NS999ES & does not have the electronic multi-channel overhead when used for 2 CH SACD playback.  Both sets of analog outputs in the DVP-S9000ES are identical.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence David! Yes, I finally figured it out. I hope the sound of the teeth chattering slightly is normal when it opens and closes. I'll be sure you let everyone know my findings of this changer once my Audio Alchemy gear arrives to virtually eliminate any jitter.

Hmm, now that I have a pre-amp capable of receiving a balanced input, I am wondering if there would be any benefits to finding a SACD/CD player with balanced outputs to try. I can't imagine it getting better than the Sony S9000ES though. Keep this "secret" amongst ourselves. I would hate for the word get out and the price of these players to skyrocket!
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to MD/CD/SACD