[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - CD changer

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - CD changer

CD changer

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by scott1019 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Is there any reason to use a Sony CD changer with a Sony DAC and receiver?  The reason I am asking is that I am considering getting a Yamaha CDM-900 based on the reviews and recommendations.  Also, it will fit nicely on my shelf.  It appears to have all of the same features as comparable Sony CD changers.  

I've had a few Sony Mega Changers and they have not really impressed me both in performance and ease of use.  The word "clunky" comes to mind.  

Thanks guys for the advice in advance!
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Don't underestimate the sound quality a CD changer can produce through your EP9ES.  I have 3 Sony ES mega changers connected to my EP9ES.  Two are connected by glass toslink, the third will be upgraded to glass toslink in the near future.  The sound quality through the EP9ES is VERY good.

I have only had experience with ES mega changers & do not know how the regular Sony series changers compare.

If you mean size, aesthetics & noise when mega changers changing CDs when you say "clunky", then I agree with you.

Top to bottom in this picture:  CDP-M555ES, CDP-CX88ES, CDP-CX70ES.  The middle unit has already been changed to a CDP-M333ES.  The bottom unit will be a CDP-M555ES as soon as I finish re-capping, adding damping material & replacing the power cord to one I recently got locally.  1200 disc storage space sounds insane, but I can leave gaps between groups to fit in future acquisitions without major disc shuffling.

They are big & not the most beautiful pieces Sony produced, but the convenience is great.

The CDP-M333ES looks almost identical to the CDP-M555ES.  I think the stack will look a little better when the 3 units visually match.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Yes, I have had similar players. Most of my material is now stored on a USB drive of which I am using my EP9ES as a DAC. I would need storage for the remaining 100 discs or so I would like to keep in rotation. Have been doing this with a 5 disk changer for quite some time and now that I have a good quality DAC I feel like getting a Mega Changer. I will try this Yamaha I think, worse case I can always resell. The Sony's I have been looking at all have virtually the same features and won't fit as easily on my shelves.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:17 am

Thanks David for the recommendations, I guess inherently what I am asking is if there is an inherent reason why I must go with a Sony changer to go along with a Sony receiver. I know some of them have the Control-S feature..

Feature wise the Yamaha will do just about everything I need. How difficult is it to enter the CD data and how often does CD text "pick up" the artists and tracks on your changers. I never had much success with the ones I tried.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:06 am

Except for S-Control I wouldn't think there'd be any reason to chose Sony over Yamaha all else being equal. Is S-Control something you'll actually be using? My main concern would be how does the Yammie match up sonically to the Sony's._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mykyll2727 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:07 am

Except for S-Control I wouldn't think there'd be any reason to chose Sony over Yamaha all else being equal. Is S-Control something you'll actually be using? My main concern would be how does the Yammie match up sonically to the Sony's._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mykyll2727 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:07 am

mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by scott1019 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:43 pm

I've never used the Control-S feature for anything, but with all the Sony gear I have it would be something to consider.  In theory it shouldn't matter which changer I get in regards to sound quality since I'll be sending the optical out to my EP9ES DAC.   The Sony changers that I've had in the past have been very quirky and broke down quite a bit.   They needed belts and to be lubricated and disks got stuck, etc.  

The purchase of the EP9ES is the single best decision I have made in audio as it can transform any digital source into a reference grade component.   With some carefully crafted mods I am confident that I will not have a the need for a lot of other components.  

EP9ES>TA-E77ESD>TA-N220 is the best sounding rack set-up I have had to date.    I have used the DB930 as an amp before acquiring the TA-N220, but its a waste to me to use a receiver only for amplification.  The sound between the two was very comparable.   Attenuation is done with the TA-E77ESD so the ALPS attenuator in the DB930 makes little difference.   When compared to sending the same inputs to the DB930 this set-up smokes it!  

However, in terms of brute power from analog source material, nothing tops the GX10ES, and I mean NOTHING.   Sending the analog outs of the NEC CD-816 to my GX10ES is still to this day the best sounding set-up in the history of all my sonic pursuits.    Unfortunately it does not serve all my needs and will be kept for duties in my secondary system.   Phono section is not as good as the TA-E77ESD, nor can it receive digital inputs.  

The audio sent from my computer sounds as good as my reference  NEC CD-816 CD player.    Only SACD sent from my Pioneer 59AVi to my 55TXi receiver via i.Link is better.
I am hoping for similar performance from a CD changer.  

I am looking for an EQ that will compliment my main system nicely.  I experimented with my TA-E1000ESD but ultimately the lack of analog direct was the nail in the coffin.  I am told the EP9ES has some equalization settings and I'll look into this further before investing in another component.     What are your thoughts?  There are only so many reflections you can tune out of a room and I think all of my gear from an EQ.  Its been something I have been against for years since a good system should never need an EQ, but then again no two rooms are alike and NO system can make up for this.  

It reminds me of the time period where I frowned upon FM as a reference source.  My Saba MT-201 tuner at times sounds at least as good as the best vinyl and digital sources.   There are only a handful of tuners ever built that I have auditioned that I would consider a reference source.   Those who make such claims are lying to you...  until I found a few of these special tuners I would never have considered FM a viable reference source.  Currently I am experimenting with HD radio and XM... neither of which sound near FM mainly because the hardware is not meant for critical listening.   Its GREAT for car audio and to play in your livingroom.  HIGHLY recommended.  

I've always been into vinyl, but getting it just right has just been too frustrating for me.  I keep it for the content I cannot get digitally.  

scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to MD/CD/SACD