[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - BD vs. SACD

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:07 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - BD vs. SACD

BD vs. SACD

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by David_S » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Your comments about streaming media are definately what is happening.  It is instant with nominal distribution & "warehousing" costs.

I am old fashioned & used to the physical item you can hold but am also preparing to stream my audio from a computer.  My transition to streaming audio from a computer is somewhat slower than a few other members on this forum.  I am preparing for this by diligently ripping my audio collection & storing in lossless FLAC.  This is a time consuming task that will take quite some time to complete.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:27 am

I also agree that streaming is definitely where it's at now. I too am converting over from physical media and like David have been slow in my conversion. My reasons are the same as the others on this thread along with the inevitable long term costs of seperate source component upgrades/replacements. I've got a thread on the receivers forum about my journey and I'd love to have you guy's input._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by frahengeo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:49 am

Like David, I too am old fashioned and like physical media. I am willing to invest in BD audio since I came to the SACD scene a little too late and find the current selection insufficient. Been thinking about buying Rush: Moving Pictures on Blu, but not willing to spend ~$26 just yet.
Also working on building a desktop PC and increasing my NAS capacity to allow for storing all my music, but can't seem to find the time. Having two young Sons definitely takes much of my time.
frahengeo
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by mykyll2727 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:41 pm

There have always been things about physical media that I liked. Yet I've always craved ease and simplicity and really never cared for the issues of wharehousing. So I'm not surprised that I find computer audio so appealing now especially since my love affair with SACD is over.

I got into SACD fairly early and it was in fact MCH SACD that was the driving force behind my present setup and gear. But there was never enough material that I really liked and have become very disenchanted with it. Now that there is quality hi-rez computer audio and I feel that it's only going to get better and more widely embraced, that definitely diminishes my desire for another hi-rez disc format. What I'm looking into now is turning an old computer that I'm no longer using into a music server._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by maverick11359 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 pm

G'day myky,
Interesting that your going the Music Server track . I've had a little bit to do with it . My neighbour with the expensive audiophile room went down that road in 2010 .He replaced his expensive CD player with a pair of brick like Hard drive storage units and a music server he purchased from Germany . He spent months downloading CD after CD using a flac program and downloading from the net High Definition music .Last I saw him which was months ago he was using his ipad to select and controll his music...... The schools still out for me though , i wasn't that impressed overall with ease of use and quality of sound and it wasn't as if he cut corners on cost ,he spent thousands....I suppose I still feel lucky i built a bit of a SACD and DVD-A library back last decade .

mav.
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Mav_I'm hoping that I won't have the same results as your friend. And I guarantee I won't spend thousands to go that route. Alot of my motivation is to save money. If I can't I don't think it'd be worth to me._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Mav- Just in the last 5 months I've had 24/96 Asynchronous computer based Audio Playback completely upstage the sound quality of my $7,700 Disc Player and its 5 picosecond jitter i2s Digital Processing which has now been completely replaced after 9 years of continual development and improvement.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm

On 2012-01-06 01:10, maverick11359 wrote:
The schools still out for me though , i wasn't that impressed overall with ease of use and quality of sound and it wasn't as if he cut corners on cost ,he spent thousands....I suppose I still feel lucky i built a bit of a SACD and DVD-A library back last decade .

Mav- You're right and yes there is a learning curve to High Resolution Music playback which is becomes more evident to me each time I read a story like your friend's 2010 setup.

Some of the things that could have done to vastly improve the sound quality of his computer based Audio setup would have been to use SSD's to store his very best sounding Accu-ripped Music on preferably ones that use an eSATA or USB 3 connection to the computer. I'm currently using an inexpensive Musical Fidelity V-Link Asynchronous USB-S/PDIF Converter which has been availanle for less than a year that can provide a zero jitter signal source of S/PDIF for any traditional Receiver including your excellent sounding V3333ES.

The source of the computer based High Resolution Audio and how it travels through the computer is also very important. I prefer to use the 64 bit JRiver Player which can be setup to bypass the Windows Mixer and all Window's processes to provide an undistorted direct connection from the Player to the USB DAC or Asynchronous USB Converter using the bit perfect WASAPI Event-Style true direct connection.

The same principals of using a bypass within the computer to establish a Direct Connection with the externa Digital Audio processing are as true and effective in computer based Audio playback as they are in A/D-D/A bypass in conventional playback with a Receiver only the positive results are much more audible in computer based Audio playback. I was very pleased that my first step into the arena of Asynchronous 24/96 Digital Audio which was the V-Link USB-S/PDIF Converter only cost me $US169 and brought my 12 year old Sony Receiver from 1999 instantly into the middle of the High Resolution computer Audio playback revolution...

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Previous

Return to MD/CD/SACD