[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - BD vs. SACD

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:43 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - BD vs. SACD

BD vs. SACD

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by sterling1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:59 pm

I've recently purchased some new music on BD. These tunes can be played in stereo, as well as DTS, and Dolby 5.1. They sound real good. Will BD audio replace SACD as the defacto high-end music standard? I think it could.  
-----------------
TA-E9000ES, TA-N9000ES, TA-P9000ES,
DVP-S9000ES, TC-K950ES, PS-4750, ST-SA50ES, TA-N80ES, (2) PCM-7010F, RM-D7200, RDR-GX7

sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I've long felt that it's Sony's plan to replace SACD with BD. I don't have any BD music discs but I'm very interested in how they compare sonically with SACD on both 2CH and MCH._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by sterling1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:45 pm

The tunes I have are: Diana Krall, Live In Rio, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, MOJO. The MOJO disc is DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound, and 48K 24 bit PCM stereo. The Live In Rio tunes are specified as LPCM stereo, DTS-HD Master Audio, and Dolby Digital 5.1.
sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by dontsleep33 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 pm

I believe it could catch on but I don't think the masses need a new "perfect audio" solution like the Compact Disc...What I do beleieve is how great the Uncompressed PCM BD movies sound via analog interconects in stereo.So basically the New audio discs are just "DVD audio" all over again with another name.I would buy some but i doubt most people will.
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 pm

People are getting tired of format wars.  I have already invested in SACD, I am not sure I want to start buying high resolution audio on BD.  I think I would rather buy unprotected versions from sources like HDTracks than start over again on a new media.  I will continue buying SACD if what is available interests me.

Pink Floyd has announced a major release program.  Blu-ray, SACD & other formats are mentioned.  A 5.1 version of "Wish You Were Here" will also be released.  "Wish You Were Here" is definitely on my list if it is in SACD.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jttar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

On 2011-07-13 01:23, David_S wrote:
People are getting tired of format wars.  

Hello David,

You hit the nail right on the head. I feel that we are all tired of the format wars and the money it costs us.
Good for you for sticking with SACD. I hope the format is available for a long time,

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:00 pm

From having had a conversation with Mastering Engineer Steve Hoffman I became fully aware that the quality of the playback is not determined by the Format, but rather in the skill of the mastering engineer to commit the original recording to the Format.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by David_S » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:13 am

The Hoffman mastered CDs I have do sound exceptional, but it would be nice to know what he could do with the same source material onto SACD.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:31 am

On 2011-07-17 04:13, David_S wrote:
The Hoffman mastered CDs I have do sound exceptional, but it would be nice to know what he could do with the same source material onto SACD.

Ditto for me._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mhedges » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:51 pm

I am pretty sure that any new audio format that uses physical media will be only a niche format - it will not enjoy mass market success.

Along those lines, I doubt that blu-ray will match DVD's success. People are just going to switch to streaming media for everything.

Mark
mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to MD/CD/SACD