[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - 1991 Sony CDP-C77ES

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:23 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - 1991 Sony CDP-C77ES

1991 Sony CDP-C77ES

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by Johnnycanso » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:38 am

I'm seriously considering one of these units to match up to my 1990 STR-D2020. Just wondering if these C77ES are still a good unit to own & what would they have sold for back in 91?
I have a 91 CDP-615 that's been havin a couple glitches lately, mostly not reading cd's & changing to the next one. Wasn't really in the hunt for another unit but a C77ES has crossed my path & i'm getting ready to pull the trigger but would like some opinions and/or background info before i do....

Johnny
Johnnycanso
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by TMC » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:17 pm

As you can notice I have an CDP-X55ES bought new back then and I got a CDP-C79ES crossed my sight a couple of weeks ago and came to the same point of question.

The CDP-CxxES is probably close to most well developed changers in competition of other brands but you can't range them to other ES models as the CDP-X series though.

Never ever I have found a CD been troubling in my CDP-X that my CDP-C could't read...

But that said; go for it, but be sure to get your hands on a CDP-X aswell!!

TMC
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by TMC » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:22 pm

As you can notice I have an CDP-X55ES bought new back then and I got a CDP-C79ES crossed my sight a couple of weeks ago and came to the same point of question.

The CDP-CxxES is probably close to most well developed changers in competition of other brands but you can't range them to other ES models as the CDP-X series though.

Never ever I have found a CD been troubling in my CDP-X that my CDP-C could't read...

But that said; go for it, but be sure to get your hands on a CDP-X aswell!!

TMC
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Johnnycanso » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:30 am

I put the qusetion to a Sony repair centre tech about the early 90's ES model CD players & he replied by sayin,  if you go to walmart & get a $25 cheapy CD player it'll far exceed the ES CD players!!!!  I said,  right on man & grabbed my optical laser unit & left....

Johnnycanso
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by TMC » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:19 pm

Then we put that technicians knowledge aside since he puts ES units as the C79ES and the X-models to be outmatched by that high end gear then...

...perhaps he was in dipers when our gear got the final testings back in Japan :-)

-----------------
Best Regards

TMC

Impressed by Sony ES since 1987!

Sony CDP-X55ES CDP-C79ES DTC-55ES
Sony TA-E1000ESD TA-N55ES TA-F730ES

TMC
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Johnnycanso » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:59 am

Hey all.....

Just to update....i passed on the C77ES & picked up a 1990 C85ES, good build quality, not much plastic, 20 pounder. I knew it needed some work as it didn't read CD's but i have a couple optical laser's in my possession so i figured no big deal.

I dismantled the unit to replace the laser unit & found that the optical block that pivots the eye up & down had a broken hinge & the unit had tilted to one side & was not functioning properly. I repaired the hinge area & re-assembled the unit just to try the old laser unit & it was a no go. So, i installed a new optical laser KSS-240A & it still doesn't read the CD's. Everything works fine as far as tray & display & it spins the CD up but will not read........any ideas were to go next??? It seems to be that the motor assy. isn't moving the eye in & out to read cd's....could it be a motor issue?

Johnnycanso
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

Return to MD/CD/SACD