[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Compatible laser unit

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:02 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Compatible laser unit

Compatible laser unit

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by TMC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi,

Do anyone know if the CDP-X and CDP-C has compatible laser units so I can use the laser from a CDP-C79ES on my CDP-X55ES?
TMC
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by sonyeslover » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:02 pm

No, these are very different. The only solution is to get a donor machine. I believe the X55 uses a KSS-270A or 271A laser assembly. An X33ES laser is also compatible if I recall.
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by TMC » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Ok, thanks for details, time comes when we're all will need to look after donor machines for our vintage CDPs...

I talked to technician who claimed that an unit which doesn't use its correction circuits that much would last longer than opposite and this should be possible to check with the occilliator. Some truth in that, do you think?

TMC
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by sonyeslover » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 am

From what I understand, the unit can adjust the laser output depending on the disc, so I would assume by using clean, commercial discs would be easier on the laser than dirty, scratched or burnt discs as these would require a higher laser output to correct for poor reflectivity.
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by TMC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:01 am

Might sound true!

Do you know whether it would be any difference for a laser to read a burned disc if it is of good quality, without scatches and dirt with 1x burn speed compared to a puchased CD?

I can´t understand why it would be any difference?

TMC
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by sonyeslover » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:48 pm

I believe that burnt CD's offer a lower reflectivity than commercial discs, so I would avoid using these on a rare machine, but that's me. If I had to use them, then yes, a good disc recorded at lower speed and kept very clean would be best. I have a Yamaha CD writer that is supposed to be the best and masters discs using a special process. I haven't used it in years however as now everything is on hard drive.
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to MD/CD/SACD