[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Why are SACD's soo much better?

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:42 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Why are SACD's soo much better?

Why are SACD's soo much better?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by scott1019 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Yes, I understand this, but few receivers have the capability of receiving the DSD signal via HDMi or I.Link and the end result is no different than sending a RBCD's 44.1 kHz, 16-bit PCM via Toslink.   Granted the sampling rate will be higher, closer to what DVD-audio is, but for 2 channel playback I cannot see the benefit since the "extra" information will not have any audible difference.   

I understand SACDs application for multi-channel recordings, but even then how is it better than DVD-audio since the original DSD track is converted to LPCM at some point in the processing.  Analog outs are still the best way to go since the processor knows what to do with them and doesn't convert it or compress it.  However, to my understanding most processors/receivers A/D/A convert which reduces the fidelity as well.

Its my understanding that the DSD HDMi and I.Link feed is compressed and converted into LPCM and then undergoes a D/A conversion in the receiver's processor and that only a few receiver/processors are able to receive DSD directly.  Only the 7100ES and 9000ES are able to do this from Sony to my knowledge, since there is no D/A converting or compression until the amp gets to the output stage.

I am sure there are other receiver/processors that can receive the DSD signal, but there aren't many that I'm aware of.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:25 pm

When I began putting together my present main/reference system together, back when I first joined this site nearly 7yrs ago, it's setup was optimised for MCH SACD playback. I used nine SS-K90EDs to make full use of my STR-DA9000ES' playback abilities. The sound on great MCH SACD was awesome. Unfortunately I became quite disenchanted with mch SACD as I found that there just wasn't enough material of my liking out there. It was just too impractical for me to have such an elaborate and inconvienent setup dedicated to something that I devoted so little of my listening time to. I have since reconfigured my system and simplified it. It is now 7ch, I replaced the ctr channel K90 with a SS-CNK10ED and mch playback is geared toward movies. My mains are maximized for stereo music. 

IMHO where SCAD truly shines is in great mch playback. But there in lies it's inherent problem. It takes space and money to really do it right. Not many people have the resources for it. It's a niche market. A rich niche too.

I still love 2ch SACD as overall it's quality is better than RBCD, but it still requires a greater expense, in general, (some RBCD playback can be astronomically expensive) over RBCD playback. Given that RBCD continues to close the SQ gap with SACD I ponder SACD's future._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by sterling1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:46 pm

I'm looking forward to hooking up my TA-P9000ES to the OPPO 95 when it hits the street. That will be multi-channel SACD the way it was meant to be.
sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 pm

On 2011-02-15 19:46, sterling1 wrote:
I'm looking forward to hooking up my TA-P9000ES to the OPPO 95 when it hits the street. That will be multi-channel SACD the way it was meant to be.

It should sound awesome. Be sure to keep us posted._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by scott1019 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 am

I bet that would be great. My i.Link equipped Pioneer ELITE 59AVi coupled to my Pioneer ELITE 55TXi has yielded the best result for all possible forms of media. The 59AVi is a notch above any of the Oppo DVD players especially on the audio side. The 55TXi has a robust amplifier and I am quite pleased with it. A notch above most of the 2002 and newer Sony ES receivers.

The NC555ES changer I just sold was the only player to give it a run for its money for SACD playback via its analog outs, and I liked the 5-disk changer, but the poor video playback sealed the deal for me, so I sold it. Also, I do not have an extensive SACD collection, so it makes no sense having a 5-disk changer.

I having a bit of seller's remorse and would like to get my hands on a SACDmods NC555ES one-day to compare.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:37 pm

scott1019_If you're interested in one of Matt's Sony units, for sound quality and since the video of the NC555ES is moot to you, I'd advise one his other Sony units. For a changer it would be his SCD-C555ES(his personal reference for many years), for a single disc unit it would be his DVP-NS9100ES which he felt was the best sounding Sony unit that he ever made. It was a more expensive mod but he offered balanced outs on it. I originally bought my 9100 with the intention of having him mod it because of that and my previous experience with him. But after I had the unit for awhile decided agaist it because of the 9100s excrutiateingly slow, at least to me, response to commands. That with it being a single disc player I knew I wouldn't be happy with it as my reference unit. Thus my decision on a SCD-XA9000ES. I conceded XLRs for iLink. Someday though I would love to have a great silver player with XLRs.  

Once in a blue moon his units show up on Audiogon. BTW the last seller that I saw there for one of Matt's 9100s claimed that he had owned both Matt's and a Modwright 9100 and that Matt's unit was sonically on par. Quite a statement considering the sonic excellence of the Modwright unit. But then he was selling his afterall and it could've been just hype. But I do know of one owner of Matt's 9100 and he adores it. I sincerely doubt you'd be disappointed with the SQ of any of his units. When it comes to SACD changers his are certainly among the very best.

When you're ready I'd suggest looking to Agon and probably posting an ad there for one if one's not available at the time._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mykyll2727 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:50 pm

On 2011-02-15 01:03, David_S wrote:
.  It might be personal taste but it seems that some SACDs have the MCH tracks included just so the 5.1 label can be put on the cover.  

I agree that too often some mch SACD use the extra channels for "tricks" ( this seems to be esp. true of rock titles) rather than to create the ambiance of the live experience which is where I feel mch SACD is at it's best. The better classical mch SACD seem to get this right much more often and it creates a wonderfully immersive experience. Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms is one of the notable exceptions of rock titles._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by scott1019 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:49 am

Before Matt got sent out to duty in the Navy he spoke very highly of the NC555ES as well.

I will have to look into the XA9000ES, its not a model I'm too familiar with.

scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:05 pm

The DVP-NC555ES was made in 2003. The SCD XA-9000ES was Sony's flagship SACD player of the same year. With a MSRP of $3000 it was meant to be the mate and sonic match to the $4500 STR-DA9000ES. Hence the iLink connection. 

I don't see how the NC555ES could have been assembled from parts from the 3100ES and 9100ES since they weren't produced until two years later._mykl 
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by David_S » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm

The transport assembly is new for the 3100ES & the 9100ES uses the exact same transport assembly.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to MD/CD/SACD