[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - SACDmods.com No longer available!!!

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:27 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - SACDmods.com No longer available!!!

SACDmods.com No longer available!!!

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by scott1019 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:52 am

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-221412.html

According to this post and several other reliable sources SACDmods.com is no longer accepting equipment to mod.  There is an explanation here.   Just thought I'd let everyone know.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:50 pm

I didn't realize you knew this when I answered your query on mod prices in the off topic forum. I had several dealings with Matt and numerous conversations. He was informative, courteous, knowledgeable, and accomodating. I felt his work was top-notch and very reasonable. In fact I was going to have him mod my SCD-XA9000ES but was unable to get it done before he closed up shop. I will miss his SACDmods.com. I told about this in the DIY forum where I asked the members for other modifier recommendations. I'd love to get some recommendations._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by argouser005 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 am

Congratulations to the bloke who worked at/ran the SACDMODS.com for so many years! He's going to be a US Navy pilot!

...and now for a little encouragement:

Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot    harder to put baseball cards in the spokes! — Captain Rex Kramer, in the movie 'Airplane.'

We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor? — from the movie 'Airplane.'
Doctor Rumack: "When are we going to be able to land?
Ted Striker: "I can't tell.
Doctor Rumack: "You can tell me, I'm a doctor.
Ted Striker: "I don't know.
Doctor Rumack: "Well, can't you take a guess?
Ted Striker: "Not for another two hours.
Doctor Rumack: "You can't take a guess for another two hours?
— from the movie 'Airplane.'

Ted: "We're gonna have to come in pretty low on this approach.
Elaine: "Is that difficult?
Ted: "Well sure it's difficult. It's part of every textbook approach. It's    just something you have to do... when you land. — from the movie 'Airplane II, The Sequel.'

They're beeping and they're flashing. They're flashing and they're    beeping! I cant stand it anymore, they're blinking and they're flashing. — from the movie 'Airplane II, The    Sequel.'

-----------------
Sony TV's:KDL-55XBR8/KDL-46XBR8/KDL-32XBR9;Sony Receivers: (3)STR-DA7100ES/AVD-S50ES;Sony DVD/SACD: (3)DVP-NS9100ES;Sony Speakers: SS-M7A(Pr)/SS-M3(Pr)/SS-M1CN/SS-K90ED(Pr)/SS-K30ED(Pr)/SS-K10ED(Pr)/SS-CNK10ED;Sony Subs:SAWX900/SAWX700

argouser005
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by scott1019 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:03 pm

I am MOST concerned about the video side of this player since it leaves a lot to be desired.  Sonically it can be a bit on the harsh side without the proper cables.  SACD playback is on par with anything I have yet heard using a glass toslink with my DB930 receiver.  However, I find myself only interested in the 2-channel content.   My comparisons lead me to believe that the quality of the recording itself is the reason for the increased fidelity not the medium.  I have heard many standard CDs that are definitely in the same league as many of the SACDs out there.  

scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:22 pm

On 2011-02-14 17:03, scott1019 wrote:
I am MOST concerned about the video side of this player since it leaves a lot to be desired.  Sonically it can be a bit on the harsh side without the proper cables.  SACD playback is on par with anything I have yet heard using a glass toslink with my DB930 receiver.  However, I find myself only interested in the 2-channel content.   My comparisons lead me to believe that the quality of the recording itself is the reason for the increased fidelity not the medium.  I have heard many standard CDs that are definitely in the same league as many of the SACDs out there.  

At the time it was released the video was excellent. It featured about the fastest video dac available for home video at the time. Now of course it's quite antiquated. I don't think there's anything you can do practically to bring it up to date. It's sound was excellent for it's price but Matt's mods elevated it considerably.

I agree with you about SACD vs RBCD. I have some great CDs that sound better than lesser quality SACD. This is especially true with many of the 24bit CDs out there. IMHO where SACD truly shines is with MCH. I have become very disenchanted with mch SACD. There is so little material that I would devote most of listening time to that it just doesn't make it worthwhile for me to have my system setup dedicated to it's playback as it once was._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mhedges » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 am

If you want better video quality then I would forget mods and get an OPPO 83 or 93 blu-ray player.  It also does a great job on audio including MCH SACD via the 7.1 analog outs.

SACD playback is on par with anything I have yet heard using a glass toslink with my DB930 receiver.

If you are using a toslink to a DB930 receiver then you are not getting true SACD.  The only way to get it is via the analog outs or Ilink.  Most players do not put out any digital output when SACD is playing.  Your player must be doing some kind of downsampling.

Mark

mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to MD/CD/SACD