[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - DE985 or DA1ES???

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:49 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - DE985 or DA1ES???

DE985 or DA1ES???

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:48 pm

Crutchfield has also waffled on the Dacs. First claiming that the DA 1ES had no 24 bit/ 96k hz. Dacs, and now claiming that it does. Go figure.

-Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by rpitz » Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:17 am

Quote:

On 2003-03-28 19:37, Shiu wrote:
The V333ES looks very much like the DA4ES. (...) By the way, if you are in Australia, why not go for the V555ES. People in North America seems to be crazy about the DA5ES, presumably equivalent to the 555ES, except that the 5ES is no longer readily available, except for demos.

Be careful to not mess up the Sony non-US nomenclature! The equivalent model to the DA4ES is the STR-VA333ES, the DA5ES' sibling is the STR-VA555ES (which is still available over here in Europe - I received my brand new, boxed replacement unit only 5 hours ago ).

The STR-V555 (dont know about a V333, though?) was the VA's predecessor, said to have some problems with rear channel hiss and overheating...

just my 2c
rpitz
rpitz
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Shiu » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:24 am

RPITZ: Thank you for correcting my mistake. I actually did mean to say that the STR-VA555ES is equivalent to the STR-DA5ES. In fact, I downloaded the literatures of both the 333 and the 555 from the Sony site in Aust/NZ/Europe (I couldn't remember exactly where) a while ago, and the specifications match that of the DA4ES/DA5ES respectively, except for the power supplies. Without looking at it and if I remember correctly the VA333ES and the VA555ES power supplies are rated for 390 Watts, while the DA4ES and tghe DA5ES are rated for 470 VA. It is interesting to note that depending on the power factor at the secondary side of the transformers, the North American models may or may not be more powerful than the European models. At those offshore sites, they were (at least up to a few weeks ago) still advertizing the VA555ES.
Shiu
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Lee_Bailey » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:34 am

Quote:

On 2003-03-29 00:37, thefaulkner wrote:
The DA1ES IS 96/24. But NOT DTS 96/24. I'll find out it's THD tomorrow and let y'all know.

Where in the world is it even published? I do not believe that they use a different physical DAC for DTS, just different software. I have the manual, and it does show it at .09% THD in all modes. You'd think on a site like this, that SOMEONE FROM SONY would be around that might know!
Lee_Bailey
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Craig_Nike » Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:17 pm

Just realised that people may think I sort of hi-jacked this thread with my STRVA333ES question - apologies for that - I should of started a new thread - its just that you were all so into the ES line I thought you migfht know - thanks.

So have we come to the conclusion that the OZ STRVA33ES is the same as the STRDA4ES ?
It shits me that the stats and facts are always different and incorrect. I printed a STRVA555ES specs page from Sony Oz today and half the info referred to 7 channel, when in fact it is a 6 ch amp

Who and what do you beleive - also Sony Oz say the 333ES is .09% THD - well thats not good enough in my opinion. If I pay $2600, I want 0.05% ???
Craig_Nike
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:55 pm

For as long as I can remember Sony ES Receivers have all been rated at .05% THD. Don't settle for less.

Even the DB 930 with its ES Amps is rated at .05% THD.

-Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Shiu » Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:20 am

Craig, I just took a look at my downloaded file (from www.sony.com.au)again. It clearly shows the VA333ES harmonic distortion at 0.05% 20-20khz, same as the DA4ES. However, its power output is rated at 90WX7 only. At 100WX7, its THD is listed as 0.7% at 1khz 8 ohms. Its power consumption is 390W. One interesting question I wish Sony could answer. I have also downloaded a copy of the DA3ES/5ES instructiion manual. If you look at the power consumption of the 5ES, it was specified for 420W for the U code and 470W for the CA code. I assume U means USA and CA means Canada. Well, go figure!

Based on specification comparison, I would say that the VA333ES/VA555ES are generally equivalent to the DA4ES/DA5ES correspondingly, except for the power supply and hence the power output rating. The North American models for some reasons are more powerful. All sound processing features seem the same. I have all 3 pdf files if anyone is interested.
Shiu
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Shiu » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:13 am

I re-visited http://www.sony.com.au/content.asp?go=products.asp and realized why Craig keep talking about the 0.09% THD for the VA333ES. It turns out that under product information, its shows 0.09%, whereas in the downloadable facts sheet it shows 0.05%. By the way the VA333ES is listed for AUD$2,699 and the VA555ES for AUD$3,499. How lucky we are in Canada where the 4ES/5ES are listed for CAD$1,499/$1,599. It gets even better in the U.S. Further, our ES models seem to have better specifications in the amp section as well.
Shiu
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Maxxwire » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:10 am

The Sony AU site states that not only does the VA333ES have .7% THD for 7 channels driven @ 100 wpc, but the same .7% THD for 2 channels driven @ 100 wpc.

What shocked me though is that the VA555ES has exactly the same stats in both multi-channel and stereo.

-Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:50 am

Even though the VA333ES is rated at .7% THD @ 100 wpc (near clipping), it is also rated at .09% THD at 90 wpc.

Traditionally in benchtests at Home Cinema Choice they have over the years consistently rated Sony ES Receivers at .02% THD @ 76 wpc. In all actuality there is a very good possibility that the VA333ES and VA555ES conform to these traditional benchtest results.

If this is indeed the case I applaud Sony for publishing statistics that are more realistic for a change.

-Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables