[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - DE985 or DA1ES???

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:39 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - DE985 or DA1ES???

DE985 or DA1ES???

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by dragon53 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:05 am

LEE_BAILEY: Thanks. I get the weekly SonyStyle email and used to check for their ES components every week and found nothing and finally gave up a month or so ago. I'm glad Sony finally put the ES on their website, although strange they waited this late to do it.
dragon53
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by dragon53 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:11 am

SNOOP: Questions: (1) You bought the DA2ES over which other receiver, the DA1ES or the DE985? (2) Where did you buy your DA2ES?
dragon53
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Lee_Bailey » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:13 am

Quote:

On 2003-03-27 22:46, Maxxwire wrote:
Great link Shiu. I do remember the DA 1ES coming out in August of 2002 as the announcement states, but for some reason it seems to me that the other models came out several months later here in Portland. We only have one Official Authorized Sony ES dealer here in town and they could have chosen to phase the line in slowly up to the Christmas season.

I agree that a 6th channel and more DSP Modes would make the DA 1ES a better unit. Throw in some 24bit/ 96k hz. dacs and it would be even better.

-Maxx

Maxx, where have you read that the DA1ES does NOT have 24bit/96khz Dacs? The manual shows that all the digital inputs accept 96Khz. Of course, this spec shows up nowhere on the Sony site.
Lee_Bailey
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:56 am

Last August when the DA1 ES came out I checked the Specs at Crutchfield and at that time they claimed that this Receiver had a THD of .09% and no 24/96 Dacs. I just rechecked Crutchfield's Specs on the STR DA1 ES and they have since ammended the THD to .05% and they now claim that the unit does have 24/96 Dacs.

Which version is true I have no idea.

-Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:11 am

Crutchfield lists the Specs for the STR DA2 ES at .09% which would be indiciatave of the QS quality output amps that it has. To claim that the DA 1 ES has .05% THD would be to claim that it is equiped with the higher quality ES grade output amps which I find very hard to beleive considering the technical superiority of the DA 2ES.

-Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Lee_Bailey » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:12 pm

Quote:

On 2003-03-28 14:11, Maxxwire wrote:
Crutchfield lists the Specs for the STR DA2 ES at .09% which would be indiciatave of the QS quality output amps that it has. To claim that the DA 1 ES has .05% THD would be to claim that it is equiped with the higher quality ES grade output amps which I find very hard to beleive considering the technical superiority of the DA 2ES.

-Maxx

I believe that it is simply a misprint. The DA1ES manual shows it to be at .09%, either in 2 channel or 5 channel mode. The one thing in my opinion that Sony should have done on the DA1ES was to include gold-plated rear contacts. There web site says it does in their opening intro, but in fact it does not.

Oh Well, I'm still breaking it in...
Lee_Bailey
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Craig_Nike » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:42 pm

I shuold know this - but does anybody know the relationship of the STRDV333ES to the DA line ?
(7.1, 0.09% THD (seems a little high for ES), 3x32 DSP, RS323 upgrade capability, 2 coaxial inputs).

This is the next amp I am seriously looking at.
Anybody have a thought on buying a DA4ES and having it shipped over to OZ ?
I worry about after sales service, bump and tumble during shipment etc etc.

Thanks guys.
Craig_Nike
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Shiu » Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:37 pm

I found some of the dealers, including Crutchfield, do not always list the manufacturer's specifications correctly. One should always obtain the specifications from the manufacturer's site.

The V333ES looks very much like the DA4ES. I would think that its harmonic distortion would be 0.05% as well. Did you get that 0.09% from a Sony site? By the way, if you are in Australia, why not go for the V555ES. People in North America seems to be crazy about the DA5ES, presumably equivalent to the 555ES, except that the 5ES is no longer readily available, except for demos.
Shiu
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Maxxwire » Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:08 pm

The trouble I am having with Crutchfield is that they changed the THD on the DA 1ES from .09% to .05% between last August and now. What's up with that?

Craig- As we all know Sony has been selling some equipment with more prestigious tags than they deserve lately. Basicaly .09% THD indicated QS or DE quality and .05% THD always indicates ES quality output amps.

-Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by thefaulkner » Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:37 pm

The DA1ES IS 96/24. But NOT DTS 96/24. I'll find out it's THD tomorrow and let y'all know.
thefaulkner
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables