[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - My DA-4ES Is Sporadically Popping

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:24 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - My DA-4ES Is Sporadically Popping

My DA-4ES Is Sporadically Popping

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by The-Ish316 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:38 pm

I am sad to report that my DA-4ES appears to be ailing. It (along with all my belongings) spent 3 years in an environmentally stable environment. Soon after being freed from its tomb, it began exhibiting a sporadic popping sound from the speakers (L,R,C,LS,RS). It appears to be louder in the surrounds.

At first I thought it might be a power spike in the “new-to-me” house that is about 35 years old. But I don’t know what it would be causing the spike. Also, the whole system is plugged into a CyberPower CP500PFCLCD uninterruptable power supply. It doesn’t seem to be showing any indication of a spike.

Since all the sources exhibit this pop, I can rule out cables. I suppose it might be a power cable, but don’t have a spare one that fits my Sony to try it. I have also noticed that the popping happens most often early on after turning the 4ES on. I do not recall if this issue occurred before an auto-protection safety shutoff was triggered. I apparently had the volume higher than it liked (though I don’t unusually high) during a test of the system in its new environs. It’s not happened since.

Any thoughts? What else should I try. Or should I try to find someone to take a look at it?

STR-DA4ES, Bravia KDL-52XBR9, DVP-NC600, BDP-S1, Athena AS-F2 fronts, AS-C1 center, CSW Surrounds; ChannelMaster DVR+, Sony HDR-SR12, TC-WR6655S
The-Ish316
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:09 pm

Sad to hear that your DA4ES has been giving you problems. There have been few DA4ES failure reports, indicating it to be a reliable model.

You said "I apparently had the volume higher than it liked (though I don’t unusually high) during a test of the system in its new environs. It’s not happened since.".

Has it stopped popping?

If the fault is at any location before the power supply board then the DA4ES would go through the startup cycle again. Did this happen?

Hopefully one of the experts at troubleshooting/repair will see this if your problem is serious.
TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by The-Ish316 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks for your reply, David_S. I was unintentionally vague in my original post.

The popping continues nearly each time the DA-4ES is on. The popping is still quite sporadic, but generally happens in the first 10-20 minutes it is on and often doesn't do it again unless I turn off the receiver.

When I mentioned the auto-protect, I only was trying to indicate that the problem might have started after there was an auto-protection condition. It's the first and only time I've ever had that happen. It also may be that an underlying issue may have caused the auto-protect. I just don't know. Nonetheless, all I had to do to clear the auto-protect was to turn it off and wait a few minutes. It's been business as usual after that (popping not withstanding).

STR-DA4ES, Bravia KDL-52XBR9, DVP-NC600, BDP-S1, Athena AS-F2 fronts, AS-C1 center, CSW Surrounds; ChannelMaster DVR+, Sony HDR-SR12, TC-WR6655S
The-Ish316
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:34 am

It sounds like you have an intermittent conductance failure that occurs while the DA4ES is warming up. This could have been caused while the DA4ES was being moved.

The problem could be a connector that is not seated properly or a solder fault. You could unplug the DA4ES and try re-seating the connectors to see if this solves the problem..

Also try narrowing the problem location with more information of what all is affected.

Does the front panel display flicker?
Are digital & analogue inputs affected?
Are video signals affected?
Do you have another amp to test if the pre-outs are affected?
DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by The-Ish316 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Well, at this point, my 4ES is making a liar out of me. It does pop after being on a while, like even hours. But now I have noticed that it does not always pop within first 20 minutes. Today it popped when the source was the tuner after being on around an hour. It did so in rather quick success, a first. I turned the 4ES off.

David_S, you asked:
Does the front panel display flicker? Never has.
Are digital & analogue inputs affected? Yes, optical, coax, RCA, even the built-in tuner. All are affected.
Are video signals affected? Not so far.
Do you have another amp to test if the pre-outs are affected? I'm afraid not. I have not noticed any popping from headphones in some brief testing. More testing of that may be in order.

It did fine last night playing through the theatrical release of The Martian, with no popping noticeable.

The-Ish316
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:55 pm

The-Ish316- Sorry to hear that your normally faithful Sony DA4ES Receiver is having a problem with sporadic popping. As I read your ongoing diagnostic dialog with David_S I began to wonder if leaving the DA4ES powered up continually for several days might help with the problem?

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by The-Ish316 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:17 pm

Sure, Maxxwire, I can do that... but I'm curious what your thinking is? I'd simply love it if the fix were that easy though.

The-Ish316
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:00 am

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by David_S » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:31 am

Ish316- Aside from the possible problem Maxx points out you could still check that connectors in the DA4ES are properly seated.

It sounds like the problem might be related to the volume board, amp board or outputs to the speakers.

Pre-outs could also be connected to line level inputs (CD, TAPE etc.) of another receiver for testing. Don't have volume settings too high, the popping might be hard on tweeters.
DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by The-Ish316 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:10 am

I have had the 4ES on for nearly 24 hours at typically low levels except when viewing video content which is then at low-middling levels. Popping is minimal (very infrequent) often coming in groups. I will try checking all the connections, including power, in the next day or so, maybe today. By the way, the low level volume overnight was around 54W driving the two mains. I will let you know how things progress. Thanks for your counsel.

The-Ish316
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables