[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - DVP-S9000ES Tray Wont Open, Green Screen

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:18 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - DVP-S9000ES Tray Wont Open, Green Screen

DVP-S9000ES Tray Wont Open, Green Screen

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by k1v1116 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:26 pm

I have a DVP-S9000ES dvd player with the following symptoms -
Tray wont open or close.
the only video output (composite, component, and S-video checked) is a green screen with a few random horizontal dark lines.

It does power on and display start message on screen. It also responds to buttons like eject by displaying open on screen, of course the tray doesn't actually open.

I have tested the power supply rails and all are within specs found in the service manual.
With the lid off of the drive I can see the sled and tilt motors are working at power on.
I tested the mechanical parts of the tray mechanism, I can open / close the tray by applying +/-5v to pins 1,2 of CN405 (the cable that connects to the tray motor and sensors)

Assuming the two issues I have share one root cause I suspect a problem on the motherboard (MB-91) unfortunately because of pricing / availability replacing the whole board isn't worth it.

I've hit a wall in narrowing down this problem further and I would greatly appreciate any insights anyone has to offer. If more information about these problems is needed just ask.
I have a decent DMM and scope so measuring voltages and clock signals shouldn't be a problem.
k1v1116
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 am

If you provide me with a link to the service manual, I will look at it with you.  Maybe I can help.  Am I correct in concluding that one problem is the +/-5v is not being provided by the motherboard?
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by k1v1116 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:43 am

This link is where I found the manual. below the preview image click "Get Manual" to download the pdf.
http://elektrotanya.com/sony_dvp-s9000es.pdf/download.html

both wires to the motor have +5v with respect to chassis ground. If I disconnect and ground either wire I can make the tray open/close.

I have also tested the sensors related to the tray, A quadrature encoder on the motor and a switch that closes when the tray is fully retracted. both appear to be working when the tray is manually activated.

Looking at the block diagram in the manual I think the problem is likely to be confined to the MB-91 board specifically between IC201 (H2GA) which takes feedback from the tray sensors and IC402 (tray motor driver) of course this includes IC102 (system control) and IC404 (servo DSP) which leaves a lot of ground to cover.

and thank you for helping.
k1v1116
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by k1v1116 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Update -
I had a crazy thought earlier that because the front display is driven by a dedicated chip that also interfaces with the buttons (eject, play, etc...) maybe the message displayed on the screen when i press eject which says open doesnt necessarily mean the system control chip is actually being told to open the tray.

looking at the service manual I could see the display/button chip communicates via SPI with the system control IC but there is also an EEPROM on the SPI bus. So I started looking at the waveforms for DATA IN, DATA OUT, CLK all were fine except DATA IN (this is data being sent to the system control IC) this waveform is totally distorted.

As an experiment I tried lifting the DATA OUT pin for the EEPROM (IC101 on MB-91) while this didn't solve any problems on its own, while probing the connection with the scope I think I made intermittent contact between the pad and pin which for a moment caused everything to work tray opened then closed and disc spun. So I realized I haven't solved the problem yet but this new information I think confirms that the issue is on the SPI bus somewhere. so I'm going to look more closely at the service manual and probe around a little more.

If anyone can tell me what is stored on this EEPROM it might be helpful.
k1v1116
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:25 am

I am in the process of downloading the service manual now.  I can tell that you have a high level of technical knowledge.  I wouldn't jump to conclusions that involve chip replacement.  In my experience, the problem often is as simple as a sensor that isn't operating properly.  I would check that out first.  Recently, the problem with a member's receiver was nothing more than a bad electrolytic capacitor in the standby power supply, which usually powers the system controller and other chips that are the brains of a unit.
Summarizing, I would say always check sensors and power supplies first.

The download is now 86% complete.  Finally, its done!  It will take some studying for me to get up to speed.

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by k1v1116 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:27 am

I've looked at all the power supply rails on the scope not just at the supply output but at the VDD inputs of the ICs on the main board everything looks good. voltages are correct and no noise or instabilities.

I've checked the sensors related to the tray and everything appears to be working. I checked the power on reset IC107 and that seems to be working as well. Any other sensors I should look at?

I realize its a long-shot but at the moment I'm looking at IC101 (an EEPROM) on MB-91 I think this chip contains the firmware for IC102 (MB91107 a Fujitsu 32bit RISC microcontroller and the main system control chip). But its possible the firmware is stored in the flash memory IC, my guess is many sony dvd players from this era use the same or similar microcontrollers and firmware does anyone have knowledge about this?

k1v1116
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:47 am

If it worked before, I don't understand how the issue could be firmware.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by k1v1116 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:04 am

I'm not convinced it is firmware. I don't even know for certain that the EEPROM contains firmware. I am convinced that the problem or at least one problem is on the SPI bus which includes 3 ICs - the EEPROM, the system controller, and the front display controller. For an explanation of how I came to this conclusion read my third post. I wish the service manual had a nice flowchart showing the startup process.
k1v1116
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by zigi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:28 am

Hi.

I have exact same problem with my DVP-S9000ES as k1v1116 (Tray Wont Open, Green Screen)

Has anyone found a solution for this fault?
zigi
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to DVD