[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony DVD players and Optical audio output

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:38 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony DVD players and Optical audio output

Sony DVD players and Optical audio output

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by rdunklee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:15 am

I have 2 Sony DVD players that are about 4 years old. Both I have hooked up to 2 different Sony ES receivers. 1 receiver is about 4 years old and the second is about 3 - 4 years old. On both receivers, I am using the Digital Optical audio in for the DVD audio. On both receivers I am unable to access Dolby Surround Sound with the Optical Digital audio input.

How ever on 1 receiver, my main (theater) receiver, when I am watching either a program off of Dish Network (Dish VIP 211K receiver) or off of broadcast TV, from a KDL-52XBR9, the receiver WILL decode Dolby Surround Sound via the Optical Digital audio input.

So my question is why won't the Sony DVD players do the same? The only way I can get Dolby Surround Sound is thru the 6 RCA Surround Sound jacks.

Now do the newer DVD and BR plays will provide Dolby Surround Sound via the Digital Optical audio connection?

Just add I have tried several different TOSLINK cables.
rdunklee
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by NiteHawk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:00 am

Sounds like your DVD players are not setup to output Dolby Digital 5.1, instead its outputing stereo.  On certain DVD's, you will have to go into the DVD audio setup menu (languages), and make sure 5.1 is set instead of surround sound.  This can be done when you first load the DVD.  
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by rdunklee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:03 pm

NiteHawk, hanks for your help. I found the problem. It was the AV receiver, STR-DA3000ES, that was incorrectly setup. Tonight I received the remainder of the cables I needed to connect the "discrete" outputs of the DVD player, a DVP-NS975V, and it still was not decoding correctly.

I started playing with the input settings on the receiver and finally found the correct combination for both the Digital Optical input and the discrete inputs and "SB DEC" in "AUTO". I tested it with the movie "Hunt for Red October" which I know in the past and now that I have the receiver setup correctly.
rdunklee
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

Return to DVD