[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Help with DAV-S880 high pitched beep

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:13 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Help with DAV-S880 high pitched beep

Help with DAV-S880 high pitched beep

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by solha » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi Forum,

I have an old DAV-S880 european model which I don't use much because everytime I switch it on it starts making a high pitched (high frequency) continuous beep. Apart from this it works OK. The question is, maybe this high frequency sound comes from the switching power supply? Is there an easy way to identify the exact component or set of components which is making the sound and replace them? Looking at the unit I cannot see also an easy way to open it to peek inside. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Regards,

Solha
solha
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:53 pm

First, you have to remove the top cover.  There are three screws at the top of the rear chassis that screw into the cover.  It appears that there are also three screws through the front of the bottom panel that screw into the top cover.  The power supply is the unit with the heat sink at the right front of the chassis.  Touch each component, with the transformer the likely source of the noise, with a screwdriver while holding the plastic handle to your ear.  You  should be able to quickly find the noise source that way.  My guess is that the transformer mounting screws need to be tightened.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by solha » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:15 am

Thanks jehill for the info.

Before opening the equipment while I was disconnecting the cables with the DVD switched on I noticed that whenever I disconnected all the cables that go to my Sony TV the noise disappeared, so this is something related with electrical interference (ground issues?) with the TV . The TV is a CRT Sony KV32FX66E. Did anyone had similar issues?

Thanks in advance.

PS: The noise comes from the inside of the DAV-S880, not from the speakers.

solha
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:11 am

I don't see how cables connected to your TV could affect whether or not a continuous "beep" is coming from your DAV-S880.  By continuous beep, you do mean a continuous sound, not beep, beep, beep, don't you?  If so, the power supply is the only source of such a sound that I can think of.  Why the sound goes away when you disconnect the cables to the TV beats me.  What cables do you have going to the TV?
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by solha » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:51 am

Ok, I mean sound or continuous high frequency sound coming from inside of the DAV. This sound resembles the sound produced by uninsulated coils from an old switching power supply. The only cable I need to go to the TV is the composite video out using the well known yellow RCA jack. As long as I connect it to the TV set, it start to make that disturbing sound.
solha
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Humm!  That leaves only one possibilty in my mind.  A ground loop as you mentioned.  This is the likely result of the TV being grounded via the cable system that it is connected to and the DAV being gounded due to leakage to the AC line or AC line ground.  Is any component that the DAV is connected to other than the TV grounded via the AC line cord or other means?
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by solha » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:47 am

Hi jehill,

Yes, the DAV is also connected to a Roku SoundBridge music player on the analogue Video 2 in, but disconnecting it doesn't affect the high frequency sound. I didn't try this, but do you think that trying to invert the main power plugs for the several devices connected to the TV do any effect? I cannot ground all equipment as they don't have ground connectors (2 line mains plugs only). Thanks.
solha
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:50 pm

You don't want to ground all equipment.  Its best if the only ground connection between components is the shields of the A/V cables connecting them.  You can isolate the TV by installing back to back balun coils in series with the cable connection.  A balun coil is the device that you use to convert 300 ohm twin lead to coax.  Just connect the 300 ohm terminals on the two balun coils together and use the two coaxial jacks to connect to the TV.  There is no guarantee that this well help, but you won't know until you try.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Return to DVD