[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - RDR-HX525 HDD error

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:18 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - RDR-HX525 HDD error

RDR-HX525 HDD error

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by boulder » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:36 am

Phil,

I've just found this forum having had this "hdd error" problem crop up last week. I've done the reformatting and the problem recurs, just as others have found. Most recently I've had picture breakup and an unrequested shut down when watching something recorded on the hard disk. This looks to me more like a problem with the SATA cable rather than the hard disk, so encouraged by your experience that the cable is usually the problem, I've bought a new one and will fit it shortly. I'll post the outcome on this forum.

Thanks for all the effort you've gone to.

Regards,
Jonathan
boulder
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by phil2401 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi boulder,

It's got to be worth a try first, HDD's can go faulty agreed but in my experience it's rare, having bought dozens over the years for PC's etc. I've never yet had one fail (big mouth) but if you care to look at the sata cable in the Sony it almost feels sub-standard and when you consider Sony must buy thousands in for production they are going to go with the lowest price on offer.
Keep us all posted on the outcome and if you like, mention the cost, length and supplier - this way it gives us all an idea of whats available if needed.

Thanks,
Phil

UPDATE:
Installed a presumed faulty sata cable from a 525 into my PC and connected it to a sata DVD-Rom drive - worked fine for a couple of days then tonight (Tues 29th) my DVD drive disappeared from "My Computer", after swapping it with my PC's original all was well proving that the 525's sata cable was intermittently faulty - success!  

phil2401
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by boulder » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:12 am

Phil,

Changed my cable last night.  It only took me 15 minutes.  If only replacing the cable not so much has to be detached, just enough to get access to the little blighter.

I got the cable from More Computers £13 including postage . Novatech also do the same cable for slightly less, but I have a lot of experience with More Computers all of it flawless (plus they are located near me so I like to support them).  The cable length is 45cm, which is a bit too long, but the next size down is too short.  Anyway it fitted fine, there's easily room for the excess length.

No hdd errors so far, but I'll keep you all posted.

Jonathan
boulder
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by rusty6 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi Phil

Great news the sata cable was the problem.  I was too impatient to wait for my son-in-law to replace it so with your instructions and a little help from hubbie we replaced it and now NO MORE HDD ERROR.  We took the old cable to the local Maplins and the one they gave us didn't have any clips on it (they said we could take it back if it wasn't the right one) anyway it worked a treat. It was 40cm long so a bit to spare but it fitted ok it was £5.99 - worth every penny. All I have to do now is get to grips with the rest of it.
BRILLIANT, COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Regards Helen
rusty6
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by phil2401 » Fri May 02, 2008 4:15 am

Hi Helen,

Well done! - glad you've had a go, hopefully it's now sorted along with that feeling that you've done it yourself and saved some money in the process.

Getting to grips with the recorder won't take long, once mastered it's childsplay, the manual is difficult to understand in that it isn't laid out in a logical order, take your time and you'll be fine.

Getting rid of dozens of tapes and sticky labels is a big plus and my Wife (main user) says it's one of the best things we've ever bought (high praise indeed) and don't forget you can watch a program that you've recorded previously whilst the unit is still recording something else - this function alone saves her so much time!

If you get stuck drop a post and I'll try to help.

Regards,
Phil
phil2401
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by boulder » Thu May 08, 2008 12:07 am

Hi all,

Over a week since I replaced the cable and still no hdd errors. I may send an email to Sony just to give a bit of feedback.

Regards,
Jonathan
boulder
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Thu May 08, 2008 9:33 am

That probably would be helpful!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by boulder » Mon May 12, 2008 7:49 am

Here's Sony's response:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We have sold many RDR-HX525 DVD recorders, and have had positive feedback from our
customers regarding this product. Sony United Kingdom Limited does attempt to meet,
and often exceed, our customers' expectations.

Having said this, it is with regret that on some occasions a product may not suit
each individual's specific requirements. While we are unable to assist directly on
this occasion, I have logged your case with us as a complaint and as such, this will
automatically get fed back to the products designers. Whilst they will not look to
contact you directly as a result of this, you can be sure that at least your view on
this will be recognised.

If you need to reply to this e-mail, please quote reference 216993244 in the subject
field.

Yours sincerely

Nicholas Burbridge
Customer Information Centre
SONY UNITED KINGDOM LTD
boulder
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by tonyr » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:31 am

Hello all,

I recently brought one of these HDD recorders off ebay for £20, I got it cheap because the HDD is missing. Not suprisingly when I switched it on I got the HDD ERROR mesage.
I mess with PC's quite a lot so I happen to have a 80gig HDD lying around so I put it in. I still got the HDD error. After finding this forum I read that the SATA cable can sometimes be faulty so I changed that as well and still got the error. I've also tried the troubleshooting methods from the manual (holding the power button for 10 secs and the HDD button for 10 secs) none of which solved the problem.
I'm now wondering if the HDD drive I put in there has to be a certain make.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony.
tonyr
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Mr_Mod » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:31 pm

To allow a new HDD to be recognised you  need to enter factory setup, this is a acheived as follows;

The diagnostics can be executed using the remote commander and a monitor.
To enter the service mode, connect the VIDEO OUT connector of the main unit to the monitor. While pressing the “A” (Open/Close) button
and the “G” (PLAY) button at the same time, connect the AC power cord to the power outlet. (Keep pressing the above buttons until a
message, “WELCOME” appears on the display panel of the main unit.)
While the diagnostics is in progress, either “OK” or “NG” appears on the monitor screen to enable the judgment whether the respective
devices or the peripheral are normal or have any abnormality.
When an abnormality is detected, the diagnostics is stopped at that moment and you can select to keep running the diagnostics or to stop it.

Eventaull you will get

<< MAIN MENU >>
1) Version No.
2) Display Color
3) Total Time
4) Error History
5) Command History
6) History Clear
7) Factory Set Up
Device Check
9) HDD MODE
0) G-code Setting
MODEL *** SYSCON Version [***]
HDD Serial ID [***]
Sony ID [***]

Select 9

<< HDD MODE >>
1) Indicate ID
2) Peformance Check
3) Write ID
4) Format
5) Factory Check
6) Write Registration Code

select 1

drive shoukld be seen

press return

select 3

return

Now main menu should show the drive details

Max size of drive is 160Gb that will be accepted by this model.

if in main menu the drive is seen, turn off the player and it should work. You willl need to format drive this can be done from menu 9 or once player boots up.

Mr_Mod
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to DVD