[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - RDR-HX525 HDD error

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:04 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - RDR-HX525 HDD error

RDR-HX525 HDD error

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by swead » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:55 pm

My dvd recorder is about 18 months old and is now showing an HDD error. I've followed the troubleshoot guide but I can't get it to stop.

I have no idea how to change the hard drive which other members have done.

My question is, is it worth fixing, or shall I look for a new machine?

Thanks for your help
swead
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by phil2401 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Swead,

I had the same problem recently and have just fitted a new hard drive, it's a common problem on these 525's.
It's a fairly simple task to replace the drive and takes around 20mins.
It involves removing the top cover and poking around inside your machine so any extended warranty you have would be void.
I thought it was worth doing because it's such a simple machine to operate and use.
If you were interested I could send you instructions how to do this repair.
It cost me £27 for the 80Gb HDD and my time, the cost of a new recorder £200 ish?
I think it's worth it!

Hope this helps.

Phil

phil2401
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by rusty6 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:42 am

Hi Swead
I am new to this forum but I was looking for information on this topic of HDD Error and your information was just what I needed to see. Would you be able to send me the instructions to replace the 80Gb HDD so that I can let my son-in-law do my repair. Thanks
rusty6
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by nickburnard » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:03 am

My disk has just failed today. Phil, I'd be interested in having the instructions as well please.
nickburnard
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by rusty6 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 am

Told you I was new to this forum.
I should have asked Phil2401 for the instructions so please would you be so kind as to let me have them. Thanks

Sorry to Swead.
rusty6
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by phil2401 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:19 am

Hi Chaps,

First and foremost lets hope you can fix your recorders, i took this route because after ordering a new Sony RDR-HXD870 at £210 to replace my RDR-HX525 (£120 repair quote) I was really dissapointed at the menu system to drive it - the simple task of watching a recording was a five step process instead of three - talk about a backward step, also my family agreed the picture didn't seem so clear, and anyway the 525 is far easier to use and I believe much better so lets continue.

After repairing 3 of these units I have'nt found one with a faulty HDD yet - it's always been the sata cable connecting it to the board, however, there is always a first time.
I thought it was my HDD that was faulty so duly replaced it only to have the error the very next day so I ordered a sata cable from a well known on-line auction site, fitted it and it's been fine since.

Repair Part 1

The first thing to try on you faulty 525 is the format command but this will erase any saved programmes/data on your HDD and, as it may be a faulty sata cable anyway, may be a way of deleting everything on your drive unnecessarily but if you've managed to transfer anything onto DVD's you can access the format function by turning on the unit then when it's on (HDD Error flashing) press and hold the purple HDD button on the right of the unit for >10 secs, this should format the HDD and when complete switch itself off and reboot itself - if this works then it should display a channel number on the unit display, if it does you may have fixed it, try it for a few days after all this may be the cheapest option......if it did'nt complete a full format the HDD Error will appear in the display again before it's finished formatting after turning itself off, if so then it needs further investigation.

I'll work on a script/image manual for the rest of the repairs as it involves removing major components inside your recorder - not hard but easier with pictures.......please give me a couple of days to complete this as I want to get it right for anyone visiting this post and attempting a DIY repair on a superb HDD recorder.

Thanks,
Phil
phil2401
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by rusty6 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:23 am

Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply.

I recently got my RDR-HX525 on Ebay advertised as new!! (have managed to get a partial refund as it is not working properly)  I can manage to set it up with the Guideplus+, leave it overnight for it to download the listings which you probably know needs 24hrs to do so but the next time I turn it on HDD Error appears then it will not respond to the remote and I have to unplug it for a while before starting all over again with the same outcome. Have also tried it without the Guideplus and its just the same. Do you think it might be the sata cable you mentioned not the hard drive? (I have previously tried holding down the HDD button - format flashes on then power off.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Helen
rusty6
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by phil2401 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:52 am

Here we go then, I've tried to make this user repair guide as simple as possible but because of the nature of the product it gets a little techie sometimes, it would be nice to know if it was useful to anybody.

This is the link - feel free to download it:

Sony RDR-HX525 repair instructions

If I can help at all I'll try - just post here but bear in mind I'm no expert - just an enthusiast!

phil2401
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by phil2401 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:07 am

Helen,
It does indeed sound as if it may be the sata lead, it's the cheapest option to try first, download the repair guide for info on replacing it but remember if you have an invoice stating "new" you may be able to take it to a Sony repair centre and get it repaired under warranty without ever touching it - I take it a partial refund was agreed by the seller and not Paypal?

Sony Repair Agents
http://dealerlocator.sony.co.uk/uk/repairs.asp
phil2401
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by rusty6 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi Phil

Thank you for all the information and the effort you have made putting it together.  It looked a bit scary at first but reading through it I think even I would attempt it from your instructions but I will leave it to my son in law.  You have explained everything so clearly and I will be over the moon if it works.  As you say we will try the sata cable first and if not, the hard drive doesn't seem over expensive.  My daughter enquired from the local Sony Centre in town and they wanted £45 to look at it and about £120 plus to replace the hard drive - what a take on!
My "bargain" from Ebay wasn't covered by a warranty and yes the refund was agreed by the seller not Paypal. Anyway, I will let you know how things go - it might take a while but I'll get back to you.  Thanks again.

Regards Helen
rusty6
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to DVD