[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - cx985 mod

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:22 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - cx985 mod

cx985 mod

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by ellisr63 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:15 pm

On 2006-01-27 14:36, Surgeon wrote:
Ron,

Check the build date on the back of your units. Early '04 units should have a flashable chip. Later builds, esp Nov '04 onwards, will probably require a chip replacement in order to be able to flash-reprogram them. Being able to flash the chip with CX-777ES firmware was what got me into developing my add-in rs232 mod in the first place.

After reprogramming a CX-985V unit with the CX-777ES's firmware, the unit will still report that it is a 985 (with additional 777-only setup menu features). That's because the firmware reads a model designation resistor that is factory set to the 985 position. To avoid having to change the resistor to the 777 position, a small 'patch' can be applied to the firmware which forces it to ignore the model resistor and into a full 777 state.

Even without the firmware 'patch' the unit will communicate and work just fine at this point via rs232 commands... with one exception... Unless it is in full 777 mode (either via a firmware 'patch' or actual resistor change) the rs232's direct-disc-play command won't function. All other commands work perfectly: on/off/play/stop/next-disc/previous-disc etc...

That's about all I can remember off hand without checking some of my notes... If you can get your units upgraded to the 777's firmware, I'll be happy to provide you with the rs232 mod info (which is basically a MAX3232 chip).

-Surgeon-

Surgeon,
I just checked and 1 was manufatured in March of 2004 and the other in Jan 2005. I will def need the full function as I need direct access. We are ordering the Max3232 chips today for 3 units (I will purchase 985 #3 after these 2 are modded). Where is this resistor? Maybe we could just change it out? My friend that is doing the mod lives 150 miles from my home so I'm trying to get everything ready for him..so it will go smoothly and turnaround will be faster. i don't like having 700 dvds laying in a pile for long.....too much chance of getting out of order .
tia,
ron
ellisr63
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Surgeon » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:51 pm

On 2006-01-27 15:50, jehill wrote:
Thanks for your input, Surgeon!

Not a problem at all John! I've gleaned a lot of helpful information from all you Sony Pros on these forums over the years and try to drop by a couple times a week to see if I can return the 'bling'...

-Surgeon-
Surgeon
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Surgeon » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:58 pm

Ron,

Give me a day or so and I'll get you the exact resistor #'s, locations and some pics if I can find them...

-Surgeon-
Surgeon
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by ellisr63 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:31 pm

On 2006-01-27 16:58, Surgeon wrote:
Ron,

Give me a day or so and I'll get you the exact resistor #'s, locations and some pics if I can find them...

-Surgeon-

Surgeon,
Thanks
Ron
ellisr63
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Surgeon » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:16 pm

Ron,

Changing the Model Desigination Resistor on the CX-985V to the CX-777ES position involves removing the 3.3K resistor from it's position @ R153 and replacing it in the R166 position. This is a very small surface-mount resistor which is located in the lower-right-quarter of the Main Board's Bottom-Side. This is not an easy resistor to fool with, as it is quite small, so great care should be taken during the move.

Remember, this should only be done after you have upgraded your unit's firmware to the CX-777ES firmware...

The following picture shows the R153 resistor and where to move it: (click the image for a large animated view).

-Surgeon-

Surgeon
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by ellisr63 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:27 pm

Thanks Surgeon
Ron
ellisr63
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by ellisr63 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Got 2 up and running now.. The 3rd one is scheduled for this next week. Has anyone had any problems powering up the 985 after serial mod via serial? I am having difficulty powering up but can do everything else even power off via serial. I can't understand why it won't power up via serial only manually.
tia,
Ron
ellisr63
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Surgeon » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:10 pm

On 2006-03-17 19:39, ellisr63 wrote:
Got 2 up and running now.. The 3rd one is scheduled for this next week. Has anyone had any problems powering up the 985 after serial mod via serial? I am having difficulty powering up but can do everything else even power off via serial. I can't understand why it won't power up via serial only manually.
tia,
Ron

Ron,

I'm impressed! I assume your friend was able to replace the prom with an eeprom? Good job!

As far as the power-on serial cmd goes -- refer to the Sony technical document on the CX777 RS-232 CIS which reads:

Host Controller sends POWER ON of POWER_SET command to DVD Player(400Mega) [using the:75beff71] following transmission control. 

STEP 1: After sending POWER ON of POWER_SET, Host controller waits for 100msec. 
          STEP 2: If there is no response from DVD Player after 100msec, Host Controller sends POWER ON again and waits response for 100msec. 
          STEP 3: Host Controller repeatedly sends POWER ON by following STEP 2 until Host Controller receives ACK from DVD Player(400 Mega).

Basically it means that you must send repeated Power-On sequences every 100msecs or so until you receive an ACK back from the unit. Most units usually reply and 'turn-on' on the 2nd sequence, but never on the first...

-Surgeon-

PS: I have one unit with a prom that I'd love to have upgraded to an eeprom. Any idea what your buddy might charge me if I were to send you/him the Main-Board? You have my email address...

Surgeon
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by ellisr63 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:34 pm

Surgeon,
I sent you an email about getting this done and also I found a place that is doing it. My friend had to use a robotic apparatis to do this job. Very tight job.
Ron
ellisr63
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by ellisr63 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:28 pm

Surgeon,
I sent you an email... We have troubleshooted the power on command but don't know why it still won't power on via serial.
tia,
Ron
ellisr63
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to DVD