[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony DVP-S7000 Question

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:41 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony DVP-S7000 Question

Sony DVP-S7000 Question

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by quikric » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:41 am

I knowthat the DVP-S7000 is a rather old player,but only recently was made aware of the fact tht certain units had a "switch" on the main board to allow it to play more than region-1 dvds.I have several region-2 dvd's that will probably never be released on R-1 so really would like to obtain one of these players.I have seen several on Ebay.I have always loved the Sony players.
My question,does anyone know the production year or years that had the "switches"as it seems not all 7000's had them?
Another question that is off topic but I was wondering about,many Sony dvd players can be put in a "service" mode when off by pressing the following on the remote...TITLE..CLEAR...POWER.Its kind of neat to do this to check the play hours for both DVD and CD,but This doesn't seem to work on a DVP-S3000.Is there a code for the early sony's to check their play hours?
Many thanks for any help you can provide.
~Quikric~
quikric
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Mr_Mod » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:42 pm

heres a good lace to start, i know my 7000 never had the switches but i never got around to modyfing the firmware. However my S715 i played with and that still going strong

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/criacoes_gledson/dvd_d.htm 
http://www.digitalworld.ch/digsol/english/dvdp/s7k_regionsw.html 

If yours did not have the swiches then in all likely case you will need to modify the firmware whish is no easy task
Mr_Mod
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by cgrossi » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:04 pm

Only the early models of DVP-S7000's had switches in them, probably only the first few months of production.  However, the circuit board is exactly the same and I'm pretty sure the firmware is still 'switch aware' so all you need to do is close the contacts where the switch should be by either placing solder between the two or using some wire. There's one switch for Region Free and another for Macrovision Off (so you can record the picture to a VCR)

When you say you want to play Region 2, do you mean UK Region 2 (PAL) or Japan Region 2 (NTSC) or another country.

The DVP-S7000 is an NTSC only player and will need a mod kit to play PAL movies. I had one of these installed in my player a few years ago and it worked fine. Got it from here;

http://www.dvdupgrades.ch/10000/Modification/DVDupgrades/Sony/Kit_Sony_DVP_S7000.html

There may be others out there providing a similar mod if you are lucky.

Good Luck

Claudio

cgrossi
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by quikric » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:49 am

Well crap,I think the 7000 I just won off ebay has a maufacture date of Sept 98,so It probably doesn't have the switches then.I guess I jumped at the wrong unit.When it comes to playing with my players inerds I'm as dumb as a post so I'm not sure what to do.The region-2 DVD's I have are all Pal U.K.movies.Was thinking of getting a multi-region tv to go with the 7000,been using a Sampo 612-n that has been a great little player but is starting to have ome prolems,and is missing some features including resume play (after power off) that the Sony has.I appreciate the info and links and will look into them.Thanks guy's,I appreciate all the info!!
~Quikric~
quikric
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by cgrossi » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:12 pm

The switches wouldn't have helped you anyway as you will need to have the player modified to play PAL discs. The Region Switch (SW1 I think) will only allow you to play other NTSC discs from Regions other than 1, not the PAL discs from the UK.

Claudio
cgrossi
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by quikric » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:13 am

Anyone know of a reliable place here in the U.S that could ''Mod'' this player(being this old) to play all regions or set for region '0'.
I would like to get it to output a pal signal when playing pal R-2 dvd's,and its original ntsc for R-1 dvd's.
Can this be done or am I just wishfull thinking?
~Quikric~
quikric
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by cgrossi » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:35 am

Quikric,

Even though they don't list it as one of the players on their website (but they have the next model DVP-S7700), you could try www.jvbdigital.com 

I had my DVP-CX777ES modded by them (sent from Australia) and so have a number of other people and they are very reliable.

Claudio
cgrossi
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by quikric » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:22 am

Claudio,
Many thanks for the link.I will check into this.
~Quikric~
quikric
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by EarlyAdopter » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:50 am

When I heard about the DVP-S7000 having the region and Macrovision switches, I couldn't resist peeking under the hood of my DVD player.

Apparently mine came off the assembly line a little later and does not have the switches.

Does anyone know how to determine the manufacture date based on the serial number? My DVP-S7000 ser. num. is in the 800000s.
EarlyAdopter
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:37 am

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Are you sure that there isn't a date or date code on the nameplate?  Why don't you list all off the numbers on the nameplate for us?  Maybe that will help.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Next

Return to DVD