[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - DAV-C700 error code C-81

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:23 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - DAV-C700 error code C-81

DAV-C700 error code C-81

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by ionas » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:12 am

I have a DAV-C700 DVD player for 3 months which didn't cause me any problems until now. I cannot load any DVD and none of the buttons will respond from the remote or the main unit. Anytime I press a button the right panel reads "DVD" and after a few seconds "C-81". I looked a the manual for this error code but there was nohing. Does anybody had this problem before or know what is this error code? I purchased the system from the US and now I live in Europe so its hard for me to take it to the sony dealer.
ionas
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Craig_Nike » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:39 am

Never heard of that one ?
Sorry.
Hopefully others will know.
Craig_Nike
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by medicatedmoose » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:49 pm

Dude I'm having the same probelm, one day it was working and now its not. I can't find anything on my C-81 probelm. At first i thought it was because my DVD was like stuck or something so i opened the system up and and removed the DVD, then i turned it on and still the same probelm. I'm freaking out and really need some help .

-Lou

medicatedmoose
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by n_plasma » Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:37 pm

I feel bad asking, but has anyone tried contacting Sony's support on this?

-- N
n_plasma
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by medicatedmoose » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:45 pm

:sigh: i did try but sadly Sony USA's support staff are a but of pot-head assholes. Oh jesus never have i had the privalge of speaking on the phone with a more brain-dead person. Her solution was to turn the power on and off until it worked, and so i just hung up (but still tried the power thing, didn't work). This is so insane, i just took the entire thing apart and put it back together and it still says "C-81". AEAHEHGHGHEHEHGHH!!!!!!
Could it be a virus? Does anyone know if that could ever happen cuz the probelm seems to come from the computer part and not the hardware part (if that makes sense).
medicatedmoose
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by MacKART » Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:19 pm

I bought a Sony DAV c700 new on ebay about 8 months ago, and it is now giving me the c-81 error code. The CDs and DVDs are stuck in the unit, and it gives me the error code everytime I try to do something with the CD or DVDs. The Tuner and Amplifier still work. I called sony, and they will not honor the warrenty because it was not bought from a authorized sony dealer, they said I could send it in for them to fix it for $159, plus about $17 shipping.
I took it to a local VCR/TV repair shop and the guy took a look inside for $20 to see if he could fix it. He said he couldn't fix it, because it appears the video card is shot, and it would be $440 for a new one. He said their is no power coming from the video card to the DVD player.
I talked to a guy at another shop, and he said that Sony sometimes offers an exchange/refurbished unit for about $60. I will see if i can do that. If not, I am tempted to simply buy a new five disc/CD/DVD changer, and hook it up to my existing unit. I figure I can get one for $170, which would be cheaper the having Sony Fix it(w 90 day warrenty) only to have it die again. with a new unit i will get a better warrenty, just using up a little more footprint.
MacKART
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by SkerCr0w » Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:40 am

I have a Sava D900 and my DVD changer doesn't even accept dvd's. I am also getting the C-81 error.

MacKART - curious how/where you are going to get a new 5 disc DVD changer unit? I am thinking about doing the same to mine but don't know where to find one. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
SkerCr0w
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by FOL » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:26 pm

You will find that, in the service manual, at the back. There is an engineers fault code list. C81 tells the engineer where the fault lies.

I misread your problem, I think you will find C-81 means a mechanism lock up.

FOL
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by ghostcount » Sat May 03, 2003 6:49 pm

FOL,

Any suggestions on how to repair the SONY C-81 problem? I'm experiencing this on my DAV S500.

Thanks for any help.
ghostcount
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Kingcouls » Sun May 18, 2003 4:41 am

I too got the C-81 error message on my DAV-S800 which i have had for nearly a year with no problems. None of the DVD/CD related controls work on the remote or base unit and I cannot eject the disc tray.

The european/uk version of the manual has no explanation or solution either so I'm hoping someone can help.

I will phone my local Sony shop / place where i bought it from but as my 1 year guarantee is nearly up I'm desparate for an answer ASAP !!
Kingcouls
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to DVD