[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - New System - STR-DB930, SS-K70ED and SS-K30ED

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:10 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - New System - STR-DB930, SS-K70ED and SS-K30ED

New System - STR-DB930, SS-K70ED and SS-K30ED

Section where you have questions/comments about room setup, equipment design, wiring and best configuration between Sony products in creating the best Home Theater setup.

Moderator: jttar

by hazm13 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:04 pm

New System - STR-DB930, SS-K70ED and SS-K30ED

Hi guys, I'm a new user here and an entirely new entrant into the world of HT/HiFi. (my other expensive hobby is my gaming PC) Being a poor student, I was pretty dismayed looking at the price of new audio equipment...

However, after reading some nice words written on this website, I have started a set-up for myself by getting a used STR-DB930, a pair of used SS-K70ED's and a pair of used SS-K30ED's. These 5 came to a total of just over £120 (Brit here, that's about $185) and are all in full working condition. I am yet to test the receiver or K30's but I tried the K70's on my dad's Cambridge Audio stereo amp (50W pc) and they sounded brill.

I just wanted to find out if any of you guys have any tips on a few areas:

1) Centre Channel/Sub: does anyone have any suggestions for either of these? I won't be buying immediately due to a lack of funds but I'd like to know what to look out for if I spot something going online! I haven't seen anyone selling the center SS-CNK10ED and they seem pretty rare, are there any alternatives that might fit in well for this set up? I am clueless on subs so any info or suggestions would be great.

2) Stereo Audio: I love listening to music and understand that a 5.1 AV receiver is always going to struggle producing stereo audio compared to a dedicated amp of the same price. (though I've heard some good things about the DB930 ) I was just wondering if there is any way to really maximise the stereo performance of the kit I've got - would getting another stereo amp be worthwhile in the future?

3) Other suggestions: Any other suggestions for a beginner such as myself? I know to get some 'good quality' speaker wire but I don't really know what that really entails - I'd rather be given good advice by real users rather than be sold some ultra-expensive wire by a salesman. Again, bare in mind I'm not particularly wealthy!

Thanks in advance
hazm13
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by RickeyM » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:48 am

Hi hazm13! Welcome to Agoraquest. I don't check this forum often so this is the first I've seen it. Hoop you're still checking this. Can't help you on the center channel but on the sub it would help to know how big your room is. As far as for speaker wire,at your equipment level, there's no need to ultra. You haven't mentioned a source. There are several Sony ES DVD/CD/SACD out there on the used market for very reasonable prices. Good luck!
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by wallew » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Well, I've been on the journey you just embarked on. Almost nine years ago, I was a new member here. I had but a vague idea of where I wanted to go. With help and patience from so many here, I have almost finished. It's an 'ongoing' work in progress as it were.

I started out with STRDA5000ES which I highly recommend and these days can be purchased fairly cheap . I had several SSK90ED speakers. But I also had SSK30ED speakers and some SSX500A speakers mounted on the ceiling. That has been a long time ago. SLOWLY, I purchased my dream system, the STRDA9000ES. Then I added a full compliment of the SSK90ED speakers. I eventually ended up with two STRDA9000ES receivers, one STRDA5000ES receiver, 21 SSK90ED speakers and four SSK30ED speakers and one SSK10ED middle speaker. Oh, and a great speaker WIRE is any 12 gauge OFC (oxygen free copper) that is well made with NO connections on the end. Many here will disagree. Having said that my most recent move (to N. Texas) found us in another home that was not wired. THIS TIME I paid a guy to install the 12 Ga OFC wire for me. He is THX certified and he told me he NEVER uses connectors between the receivers and the speakers. He said it degrades the purity of the signal. I do notice a minor difference here at our home in Keller, Tx. But it's not one I'm willing to argue about.

Also, regarding the middle speaker and the sub. You CAN use a SSK70ED or a SSK30ED as a middle speaker and you will be very pleased. I have used a no-name sub for years now. Never got around to purchasing a Sony Sub. But it doesn't impact the system that much. Given the SSK90ED's have such a grand sound, the sub manufacturer became a non-issue.

If you want to see pictures, I have numerous shots available on the thread I started in Home Theater Gallery. It documents my nine year journey to where I am today. I still have to set up my den/study. But it's a long process as my wife and I do not make decisions quickly or lightly. MONEY is always an issue, as it is for most people, so we plot and plan every thing we do, finding the least expensive yet the most quality we can get.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=21807
A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.
"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.
When the pin is pulled, MR GRENADE is not your friend.
When in doubt EMPTY THE MAGAZINE.
wallew
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Getting Started/Building a Home Theater