[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony SSX-90ED speakers

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:08 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony SSX-90ED speakers

Sony SSX-90ED speakers

Section where you have questions/comments about room setup, equipment design, wiring and best configuration between Sony products in creating the best Home Theater setup.

Moderator: jttar

by Spod » Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 am

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the site for a little while now, as I've got a lovely pair of the legendary SSX-90ED speakers (walnut) and could really use some advice.

In short, I got them extremely reasonably in about 2008 and was vaguely aware of the hype surrounding them.  But....I'm a total, total newbie and was terrified that I might somehow hurt them as I have minimal knowledge and the rest of my equipment (amp/turntable/MD-player/CD-player/tuner) is so incredibly old and cheap.

So, rather tragically, they have just been languishing in my house.  I'm sorry - I know it's such a waste!  On a few occasions I tried to do some intensive research into what best to match them with, but bearing in mind I know next to nothing about home theatre set-ups, it's been a bit of a struggle.  

I've saved up a little bit of money though and I decided to finally bite the bullet and ask for some help as otherwise these poor things will never get appreciated!  I'm loathe to sell them as I'd really like to learn more about audio equipment and enjoy them.

I listen to a huge amount of music - on CD/LPs and digitally - and mostly listen to Folk/Rock/Classical music.  I am also just about to move in with my boyfriend who has a rather snazzy Panasonic (sorry) plasma TV.  He has been eyeing up my beloved speakers for quite a while, so I'm a bit worried that if I don't get expert advice he might just wire them up to whatever and turn on the power...!!

So...questions.  I'd really appreciate any advice at all - please forgive my total ignorance.  I guess we all have to start somewhere.

- Each speaker has 4 network terminals on the back, but I'm assuming that once upon a time these were connected with jumper bars.  There aren't any jumper bars any more, and one terminal is missing the gold-plated screw-on cap (no idea what this is called).  This is the only damage to the speakers; is it possible to easily replace these items?

- Should I be bi-wiring these to an amp, or is it simply not necessary if I replace the jumper bars (told you I knew nothing!)

- Is it possible to have a little 2.1 set-up with these and a sub?  Or do I really need to be thinking 5.1 minimum?  The room they will be in (the living room) is the biggest in the house, but is still only 3.5m x 4m (English houses can be terribly small).  I only ask as I have a limited budget and can't help but think that it's probably better to invest in a small number of high-end pieces rather than buying lots of cheap low-end equipment.

If I had a budget of between £500-£900 total (I know it's not much), would be be logical to divide this fairly equally between a sub (£150-£300), CD player (£150-£300) and receiver (£150-£300)?  Should I also be setting aside a chunk for cabling?

I've been looking at some of the existing set-ups with these speakers (Danijel, your three rooms of sound are AMAZING!), and a lot of the equipment is well out of my price range.  Having said that, I've been keeping a close eye on second hand items and am happy to wait a bit until a bargain crops up.  

My boyfriend has also asked how best to rig these up to the tv (which I'm a bit worried about for the time being…!)

Apologies for being so ignorant - I know that at the moment these are completely wasted on me.  Hopefully in the future I can allow them to live up to their amazing potential!

Thank you so much.

Spod
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Wed May 08, 2013 8:57 am

Welcome to Agoraquest!  I wouldn't hesitate connecting your SSX-90ED speakers to your existing amp.  Tell us more about your amp.  Does it have screw terminals to connect speakers?  Does it have a subwoofer output that you can connect to an active subwoofer?  You don't want your speakers to be connected directly to your boyfriend's TV.  If you want to let your boyfriend use the speakers with his TV, I would suggest connecting all video inputs to the TV and then connect an audio output from the TV (analog or digital) to either your amp or a receiver.  Connect all audio inputs to your amp or receiver.  Use the TV input selector to select the video source and the amp or receiver input selector to select the audio source.  If you splurge and purchase a modern receiver that can handle both video and audio, you can connect both video and audio sources to it and use the TV as a monitor.

Regarding the missing jumper bars, you can use jumper wires instead.  The only place that you are likely to get a replacement speaker wire nut is off another speaker.  You probably can get something that will work at your local hardware store.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Spod » Mon May 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Thank you so much for the really useful response - sorry for being such a newbie.

I've also got a SA-WX900 speaker so I'll try hooking all three of them up to the amp. It's a really low-end amp (a Cambridge audio A1MK3), but has screw terminals and can apparently be connected to a subwoofer via the tape out.

I've found some jumper wires - thank you for the advice - and am going to try to get a speaker nut from my hardware store as suggested. As for the TV...well, I have decided to play around with the speakers first without it, as my amp is pretty unsophisticated and I don't think it can handle both video and audio!

I am keeping an eye out for something better though - possibly a Sony DA5400, or, if I can't afford one, then a Sony STR DA5ES. I think that I should be able to connect both the TV and audio to either of those (I hope), and either would be a really major step-up from what I have at the moment.

I think I'm going to leave it at a 2.1 to begin with rather than getting extra speakers, as it would be nice to get a good turntable and CD separate as well. At the moment I'm stuck with my Bush MTT1 turntable (sounds ok.....ish) and a Pioneer PD M-603 CD changer that sounds hopeless!

This has all been extremely useful. Thanks again. I'm slowly starting to get my head around the basics but have a LOT more to learn!
Spod
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Getting Started/Building a Home Theater