[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Suround & Surround Back Speaker Height

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Suround & Surround Back Speaker Height

Suround & Surround Back Speaker Height

Section where you have questions/comments about room setup, equipment design, wiring and best configuration between Sony products in creating the best Home Theater setup.

Moderator: jttar

by Skytrooper » Fri May 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Been retired four 9 months now and am building a 16 X 24 addition. My dream for having a great sounding Home Theater. There will be 2, 2 X 4' closets on the rear wall making the listening area 16 X 22.

I am looking for suggestions for surround and surround back speaker height. The surrounds will be in wall. (Wife Factor) The surround backs can be in wall above the closets or external. Thanks for any suggestions.

Side note. Enjoy this holiday weekend and remember what it's really about. Currahee!
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by mykyll2727 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Skytrooper_Here are a few links that might give you the info you're looking for.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/speaker-placement-setup-tips-for-upgraded-home-theater-systems

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

My personal experience will be of no help to you as I use floorstanders all the way around. I hope these links help and if you have any more questions ask away. Please keep us updated on your progress._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Skytrooper » Thu May 31, 2012 4:54 am

Thanks for the links, mykll. I today am installing the left and right surrounds. The height and distance are important to me. I am considering putting a 2x6 above and below the speaker to enhance bass. It's really nice to have the walls open to do all this work.

Behind the AV stand I have:

4 cat 5's
3, 3 gig. coax
1 phone line
6 in wall speaker wires, 2 are for the patio
4 AC receptacles

All these are in 2 in wall recessed metal boxes.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by mykyll2727 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:27 am

That's great! Looks like you're well on your way there. I like the idea of the 2X6 BTW. Bass is where the satellites would be the weakest in freq response. Please keep us posted!_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Skytrooper » Thu May 31, 2012 4:18 pm

mykll

I decided to place the L & R surrounds 2 feet above ear level and slightly behind the main seating position. Thanks for the links. Next step is the L & R surround backs. Will be placing the 2X6's above and below the surrounds tommorow.

Having open walls to work with is an AV Freaks dream! All AC, Speaker, Cat 5's, & Coax cables can be installed correctly. Been taking flicks at every stage. When everything is complete, I will try to post photos.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by mykyll2727 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Skytrooper_Glad the links were of some help. Sure sounds like you're having fun!!! I'm going to love seeing the pics of your work._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

Return to Getting Started/Building a Home Theater