[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Help wanted - home theater build - what should I get?

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:30 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Help wanted - home theater build - what should I get?

Help wanted - home theater build - what should I get?

Section where you have questions/comments about room setup, equipment design, wiring and best configuration between Sony products in creating the best Home Theater setup.

Moderator: jttar

by Shutez » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi,

Thanks for taking some time to help me out here.  I used to be pretty into home theater stuff, but I am not up on the latest and greatest.  I haven't posted here in a while.  A friend asked me to help him design the best home theater for the $.  He's got a decent budget, and a big basement he's working with.  Here are the details - I'd love to have a low-mid-high recommendation for the speakers and the receiver.

Budget:  Lo: $500  Mid: $750  High: $1,000

Needs:  Receiver + Speakers
Doesn't Need:  TV or Wiring

The Room:  A typical basement room - fairly spacious (don't know the exact specs).  The viewing area will be a square.

The Video:  an HD projector mounted on the ceiling and projecting on a 70" wall surface

Position / Size of speakers
  Front Speakers:  in the wall behind the Screen (mid-size)
  Center Speaker:  mounted from the ceiling (small)
  Rear Speakers:  mounted from the ceiling (small)
  Sub: wherever makes the most sense

Let me know if you have any other questions... I'm curious what you would buy new and what you would buy used for the best value, and what your recommendations would be for his system.

Thanks everyone!

Tim
Shutez
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Shutez » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:08 pm

P. S. feel free to ask questions / clarify, or make different recommendations from what's above. I'm here to learn.
Shutez
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by mykyll2727 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:07 am

Could you be a little more specific on budget? For example is that $1k for speakers and receiver or $1000 for a pair of speakers or for one speaker?_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Shutez » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:38 am

Actually - let's do this. I was over at his place today and got some more details: Forget the low-mid-hi breakdown.. we just need the best system possible for < $1,000

I'm definitely willing to go used if there's better value there.

The $1,000 should include:
- receiver
- front, center, rear speakers
- sub

The $1,000 doesn't include:
- video (he has this equipment already)
- wiring -- it's already wired.

He's wired up for a 5.1 system, but could go 6.1 if there's a significant advantage.

One more detail: The front & center speakers will be inset into the drywall, and the rear speakers will be hung from the ceiling. The sub will be on the floor.

Thanks a ton!
Shutez
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

Return to Getting Started/Building a Home Theater