[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - HT-DDW670 questions

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:10 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - HT-DDW670 questions

HT-DDW670 questions

Section where you have questions/comments about room setup, equipment design, wiring and best configuration between Sony products in creating the best Home Theater setup.

Moderator: jttar

by rua17 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:01 pm

Hello, I´m thinking on buying the SONY HT-DDW670 but I have some questions:

First, I´m not familiar with the pasive subwoofer. My room is about 3x3 meters and I don´t know if the sound would be fine in this size of rooms.

Seccond, I live in Costa Rica, and the DDW670 here is 5x85 watts (510 total). I believe in USA is 5x100 w (600 total). Anyone knows why this is different?

And my last question is, does 6.1 really overruns 5.1? What would you reccomend me. Does 5.1 will dissapear?

TIA
rua17
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:25 pm

Welcome to Agoraquest!  The differences in the power ratings are due to differences in how the power must be measured in different countries.  Both the 100 watt US and your 85 watt ratings are at 6
ohms 1 kHz, THD 10% for all but the subwoofer.  The subwoofer is 6 ohms 100 Hz, THD 10%.  10% total harmonic distortion is awfully high for power measurements.  Increasing the THD level increases the number.  For the US model, the following STEREO rating is provided:

"With 6 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 120 - 20,000 Hz; rated 60 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.7% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output."

This tells the real story.  There are actually six identical amps (one for the subwoofer) in the STR-K670P receiver.  The 60 watt rating is the only one that I would pay any attention to.  Whether or not there will be enough sound for your room depends on how much volume you desire.  It may be enough for you.  The only way that you can determine that is to try it out in your room, which I would highly recommend.  I don't understand your last question.  The STR-K670P is a 5.1 channel receiver.  Personally, I wouldn't get it, unless you can't afford anything better.  Its always best to get a good receiver (better than the  the STR-K670P), matched 8 ohm front, center and surround speakers and an active subwoofer (a standard receiver doesn't include an amp for a subwoofer).  The receiver's amps should be full range, i.e. 20 - 20,000 Hz, an include the input and output capability that you need.  If you decide to upgrade the receiver or speakers, you may do so without a hassel.  For example, if you tried to upgrade the speakers included with the HT-DDW670, the first obstacle would be the 6 ohm impedance requirement.  The second obstacle would be the 120 - 20,000 Hz frequency response of the amps.  They wouldn't be able to drive full range speakers.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by yoyo1972 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:00 am

You can find a solution to your problem in:
http://www.fixya.com/Product.aspx?prdid=225067
yoyo1972
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Maxxwire » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:42 am

yoyo1972- Simply refering someone to a search engine does not solve their specific problem.

If you have done the research and found a solution to this particular problem we would like to hear it.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by rua17 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:11 am

Thanks, I read all your comments, and I decided to buy the HT-DDW670. It's a 6.1 755 watts HT with an active subwoofer

I'm very happy with it, the sound is just great, altough I didn't have time to tune it up.

Anyone does have this HT?
rua17
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:18 am

If you are happy with the system, that's all that's important.  Not to argue with you, but your subwoofer is passive because it doesn't contain its own amplifier.  The amplifier is in the STR-K670P receiver.  This is why the receiver has 6 amps.  The result is still a 5.1 system because you have center, front L, front R, surround L, surround R and subwoofer channels.  The 0.1 channel is the subwoofer.  Ordinarily, its what is referred to as a PRE OUT, a low level output suitable for driving the amp in an active subwoofer.  The output level is controlled by the receiver's volume control.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by rua17 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:02 am

Sorry I bought the  HT-DDW870. this system have an activ SW and is 6.1  
rua17
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:51 am

That's interesting.  Apparently, the amps in the included STR-K870P receiver are identical to those in the STR-K670P, because the frequency response and power ratings are identical.  Its just that there is one less amp, due to the active subwoofer.  Best of luck with your new HT.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Robbiec1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Dear All,

I'm currently trying to use my HTDDW670 Surround Sound System that was purchased in America in Europe, The Netherlands to be particular. I am using a Franzus Travel Smart Power Adapter to convert the electricity from 220/240 to 110/120. My system will give me the "click-sound" as if it were turning on once I hit the power button, but it will not power-up or stay on! Any suggestions on how to get it to work??!! Thanks for your time and help... It's greatly appreciated!!

Sincerely,
Rob Crow

PS -Realize I should also include that the power converter says it converts to 110 watts, not 120 watts too, just in case this is my main problem, but don't think it is though!!
Robbiec1
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:59 am

What is the model number of your "Franzus Travel Smart Power Adapter"?  I suspect that the adapter is not suitable for your HTDDW570.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Return to Getting Started/Building a Home Theater