[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony Home Theater HT-DDW660

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:54 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony Home Theater HT-DDW660

Sony Home Theater HT-DDW660

Section where you have questions/comments about room setup, equipment design, wiring and best configuration between Sony products in creating the best Home Theater setup.

Moderator: jttar

by Toli » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:34 pm

Andrea- That's great that you got everything working. But from what you have described with the cables, you don't have a digital optical cable and therefore aren't listening to true 5.1 audio. Does the connector on your audio cable look the same as in the link I provided in the previous post?
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Renaia » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:11 am

hmmm I honestly dont know, I do have monster cables that i bought for the HDTV that i paid a crap load for. but only 1 side of them are connected, meaning they are connected to the tele on the positive end, and the negative end is just hangin 10, collecting dust.  i assume that is the cable you are talking about.  lol sorry, im a girl. *shrug*
Renaia
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Toli » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:52 am

Renaia- If you are using a digital optical (or toslink) cable, the ports on the receiver (or the TV) and on the AV Pack will look like this one , is that the case?
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Renaia » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:07 am

ok, i am pretty sure, the picture you're showing me is the "video in optical" thingamahooey, on my receiver. one thin i think you are forgetting is that i don't have a dvd player connected, to help with connecting various cords.  As far as I can see, there is no possible way to connect the xbox and receiver. 

It's just so hard to wrap my head around all this stuff.  Guys must have a gene for this shyte.  If you could post a pic of your hookup as a guide maybe seeing it would make it click. lol

Am i a pain or what lol
Renaia
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Toli » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:13 am

Andrea- Do not fret, I think that I can accomodate. A DVD player plays no part the audio connection of your XBOX to your receiver, so you don't have to worry about that situation. All you do is run a digital optical (toslink) cable from the "video in optical" thingamahooey, on your receiver directly to the  "video in optical" thingamahooey, on your XBOX's AV pack.

I would be glad to post a picture or two, but it may not be as much help as the verbal description above, as I use Monster brand gaming cables for my XBOX and they don't look the same as the Microsoft brand that you are using.

Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by michelly » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:42 pm

Hello.
My first home theater ever is my new 
 Sony HT-DDW660 my Dvd is a Panasonic with no digital coaxial outpot.
It has a optical  output.
Just two newbie questions if i hook optical output to video input of receiver and set in video input instead dvd, i can get real 5.1?

And  what means 3/2.1 in sound display?´
Anyway, soon will get a new DVD with digital coax output.
Thanks a lot for help.
michelly
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:24 pm

On 2005-02-05 23:42, michelly wrote:

Hello.
My first home theater ever is my new 
 Sony HT-DDW660 my Dvd is a Panasonic with no digital coaxial outpot.
It has a optical  output.
Just two newbie questions if i hook optical output to video input of receiver and set in video input instead dvd, i can get real 5.1?

And  what means 3/2.1 in sound display?´
Anyway, soon will get a new DVD with digital coax output.
Thanks a lot for help.

michelly,

Greeings and welcome. The optical output of your Panasonic DVD player will give you 5.1 but it is an audio connection and has nothing to do with video. Also, the 3/2.1 display is the same as 5.1. That is three speakers in front (left, right and center) two surround speakers and one subwoofer.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by michelly » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:17 pm

Thanks joe for quick response.
Sorry if Maybe I cant explained well my doubts.
I know optical its for audio , my question is that my receiver it has one optical audio input labeled "video audio input", and i neeed to select "video" in front panel to get Optical audio input.
Y if select DVD just gives me "coax" or "analog" audio choices..My dvd doesnt have te orange digital output.
if I select "video" in front panel, I can see dvd video and optical sound.
My question is any problem if not go to "dvd" in front panel?
can I get 5.1 anyway?
Thanks again .
Regards
michelly
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Hi-Amit » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:33 am

Dear Toli, et all,

Hope you are very well. I see you have explained the Optical connections for the Sony HTDDW660 very well in this post. I am picking up on this thread after years, so apologies if you have to refresh a bit.

My query - I have the HTDDW660 from quite a while now and it came with a Orange coloured coax audio cable which I hooked up to my DVD player Coax output and to the Digital Coax input of my receiver. The sound quality was not that great for so long. I am now wondering if that was really 5.1 I was listening to (even though there was sound from all my speakers).

I have read somewhere that the Optical input is the best way of linking the DVD plaver (or any system that has Optical out) to the receiver to enjoy high quality sound. Now since the  HTDDW660 receiver just as Optical Video in - will that serve for Audio as well? I mean of any system (DVD / Blue ray player) has a Optical audio out (which I guess will provide 5.1 digital surround sound), can I link that Optiocal audio out to the optical Video in of the Receiver (as there is no other Optical audio input on the receiver).

Kindly let me know.

Thanks.
Hi-Amit
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Welcome to Agoraquest!  The coaxial digital input that you were using is true Dolby Digital 5.1 as is the optical digital input.  Just replace the coaxial cable between your DVD player and your receiver with an optical cable.  An optical connection usually provides a wider bandwidth than a coaxial connection.  Also, it provides total isolation between the connected components.  If the sound quality isn't that great, it's not due to your coaxial or optical connection.  It's due to the limitations of your HTDDW660.  Its time to think about upgrading if you wish to improve sound quality.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Previous

Return to Getting Started/Building a Home Theater