[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony (Home) Telephones

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:58 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony (Home) Telephones

Sony (Home) Telephones

General questions you have about this website. How to improve it, new features you would like to see, things you don't like, any comments in general. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator: jttar

by Toli » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:17 pm

Sprite68- I realize you read the manual, but I'll give it one more shot. When you start to program, and you put the battery in the handset did you-on the handset:

1. press program
2. press intercom, then wait for the confirmation beep
3. then enter the System ID (from the bottom of base unit) 
4. then press program again.

Is it possible you are starting to enter the System ID before the confirmation beep in step 2?

Also, I assume you have seen the notes on page 26.

If not, maybe something just went wrong with your phone, and service is the best option.

Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Sprite68 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:16 pm

Toli,

Yes, I have followed the procedure quite a few times with no success. I can get close with the alternate method of programing the handset (ie each handset will display it's proper number) but when Talk is pushed the display reads "No Connection"
Sony wants $86.00 to "fix" the phone but that is just to close to the price of a new system for me to spend. I think I would be better off buying new.

Thanks for you help
Sprite68
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Toli » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:25 pm

Sprite68- I agree with you, sounds like you might be better off with a new phone. But, before you do that, I have one more idea, you said the display reads 'No Connection', right? Try a different telephone line cord and check inside the connectors (on both ends-the wall and the base unit), maybe one of the pins inside got bent-leaving you with no connection. It's worth a shot.
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Sprite68 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 am

Thanks Toli,

I will give that a try and let you know the results
Sprite68
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Sprite68 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:06 am

Hi Toli,

It is the same with a different phone cord. I checked another system and if you unplug the phone cord you get connection to the base station but no dial tone however if you unplug the power from the base station you get the same "No Connection" so I now believe that the handsets will not talk to the base station at all. I will continue my search. If you find anything else out please post.

Thanks,
Sp68
Sprite68
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by dsds » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:52 am

I had a Sony QuadraStation system with four handsets. One of the handsets broke and the entire system was no longer under warranty. After checking various sources on the Internet, and enduring Sony's lousy customer service, I learned that it would be impossible to get the base station to un-register the old broken handset and then register a replacement.

Then this solution occured to me. I found a company on the Internet that had brand new SPP-H273 handsets in stock. I double-checked with them that the unit had a Sony warranty. Even though Sony no longer makes phones, I purchased the unit for around $50 (US$), knowing that I would be unable to register it with the base station I already own.

I then sent the whole system back to Sony (new handset, old handsets, base station, batteries, chargers), along with a letter explaining the that the new handset did not work as advertised with the base station I owned. Since they no long support telephones, but I had just purchased a handset new WITH A WARRANTY, they were obligated to repair or replace the entire system. They bought back the entire system for around $270 (US$) which I promptly applied toward the purchase of a superior 5.8 Gig system from another manufacturer (that starts with "P").

dsds
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Toli » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:35 am

dsds- Welcome to Agoraquest. Hopefully those who say that Sony doesn't take care of it's customers will read your post. I think Sony went  above and beyond on this one. So, congratulations on your new phone, and kudos to Sony for taking care of it's customers once again!
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dsds » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:27 pm

I liked my Sony Quadra Station SPP-H273 phones except for the one big problem of not being able to register a replacement handset. I suppose it's nice to think that Sony would go "above and beyond on this one" but I think they had no good choice but to buy back my components.

Think about it. Although they no longer make or support phones, they are still obligated to honor warranties on newly purchased units. So by purchasing a brand new handset, which I knew in advance would not register with my base station, I knew the new warranty would leave Sony only these choices:

(1) Repair, i.e. reprogram my phone system that I sent them so the new unit could work (remember though, they don't support their telephones anymore);
(2) Replace everything(but remember though, they don't make new ones), or
(3) Buy back the whole system. This is what they did.

I think I used the warranty system to my just advantage. I figured out a way that more or less forced them to give me some of my money back. It's unfair for Sony to design and sell a flawed product and then stop supporting it. Other people can do what I did, as long as there are single Sony SPP-H273 handsets to be bought .

I know that these forums are for Sony fans, and I do think Sony makes great products. I use Sony products all the time. But I think that this was a BIG flaw with the telephone. (And their telephone customer service is ridiculous. An bizarre endless maze of synthesized voice prompts.)

I don't believe that people who bought the telephone system and experience this same problem that I had should just accept that their Quadra Station just became a Tri Station. Some day it'll be a Bi Station, and then it'll just be a regular phone before it's trash. Sony might have to buy back a lot of telephones. Hey, maybe they'll decide to go back into the telephone business.

ds

p.s.
if there's some way to register replacment handsets that anyone knows of, you should respond to my post to let other people know that it can be done.

dsds
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Toli » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:43 pm

dsds- I did think about it, I don't ever reply to any posts without doing that first. If you read some of my posts, you would see that.

I completely disagree with you, in your belief that Sony owed you a refund. But, of course everyone is entitled to his opinion. With the exception of the new handset, your entire phone system is out of warranty. Other than a refund of all the money you invested in the new handset, I don't believe Sony (or anyone else) was obligated to do anything for you. I believe you were lucky to get that deal they offered you. I am happy that they took care of you though, and I do hope you enjoy your new phone. 
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dsds » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:04 am

Would you agree that if a person purchases a product (such as a telephone handset that's advertised to work with a specific base station), that if it doesn't work as advertised with that base station, then the maufacturer is responsible to make that new unit work as advertised? (The SPP-H273 handset was advertised to work with these models: SPP-2720, SPP-2730, SPP-2770, or SPP2780)

If Sony could not make that handset unit work as advertised, they could have replaced it with a one that would work as advertised. If they chose to, it would have been ok with me for them re-program the base station to recognize the replacement handset, again to make the handset work as advertised. Sony didn't do either of these things though.

Basically, I think that these base stations should have been able to un-register handsets and register replacements by the user.

BTW, I only read a few of the posts on this site before I posted, but I don't recall if they were yours or not.

ds

dsds
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions