[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - cd r dvd rom drive not working

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:08 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - cd r dvd rom drive not working

cd r dvd rom drive not working

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by billiards » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:57 pm

hope help is avail. here, pcg r505dl laptop.....dont use much ...the dvd drive, have been through the m.s. fixit hoops no worky....device mgr. states all is well with drive, and driver, properties show disc as full  (w/fresh unused disc.)....i get no prompt to insert disc,  the dell desk top has the same problm, we just got an ipad  (my wifes toy) this seems to have developed after the down loads for the ipad....not sure on that, two drives would not go bad at the same i am sure......well anyway looking for ideas...thanks      jack
billiards
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by NiteHawk » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:32 am

When you state "not working", do you mean not able to read files or boot from drive ?  Can you open the drive door ?
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by billiards » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:59 am

not working....the drive opens, and disc spins.......will not read, write, or view from cd or dvd....i just finished a download w/referance to itunes as a problem, it had my hopes up but still same problem....any ideas appreciated....thanks for the comeback     jack
billiards
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by NiteHawk » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:38 pm

You can undo the iTunes/iPad install by doing a System Restore from the Windows menu.  
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by billiards » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:38 pm

thanks nighthawk....my system restore wont let me go back that far....it goes back to sept.  but no farther.....dont like that but i guess thats the way it is...thanks for the comeback and idea...dont stop if ya can think of anything else...the only good thing about this problem is i am learning much about computers ..just enought to be dangerous i guess....jack
billiards
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by NiteHawk » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:59 pm

You can also try to remove the device driver for that particular drive via the Device Manager.  Once you re-boot, the system will search for a new driver and install.  See if that can make a difference.
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by jttar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Hello billiards,

This is probably not  hardware problem but more of a conflict with iTunes. Even though it's a P.I.T.A., go into controll panel/ Add Remove programs and remove iTunes. After the uninstall is complete, reboot and try your CD player again and see if it can read a disk.
It might be an anomally with whatever operating system you are using. Try it and let us know.

Best of luck,
Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by billiards » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:00 pm

Nighthawk....Jttar.....I thank you guys TRAIN LOADS.......have spent hours (days actually), have a stack of helps that did not work.....i unistalled device driver, booted up and yeeepeee it worked....now i can go ahead with a new hard drive install, you made my day..thanks thanks thanks...jack
billiards
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jttar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Jack,

Happy to hear that you were successfull and got your CD/DVD Rom working again. Give yourself a pat on the back, after the hours you put in you deserve it. Hope to see more of your posts on the forum.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Return to Computers Troubleshooting