[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - VGN-PCV W1/G Monitor with no power. I think.

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:28 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - VGN-PCV W1/G Monitor with no power. I think.

VGN-PCV W1/G Monitor with no power. I think.

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by Brianqaf81 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 pm

I'm not particaularly techie so please be kind with any responses.

About a month ago I 'reset' my pc by using the VAIO recovery disk to restart the pc in its 'brand new' condition.

Unfortunately, about 2 minutes into the disk spinning up the monitor went blank.  The CD drive kept making the wirring noise and the fans kept running but nothing was displayed on the screen.

Now, when I press the power button, the fans start up, get faster and faster and faster - a speed definately above normal,  REALLY REALLY LOUD.

At no point does the monitor come on.  What can  do?  SONY reckon to even take a look at it will cost £450.

If it makes any difference (from a consumer point of view) I bought it on my credit card on 20 Nov 2003 from PCWorld.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers.

Bri.
Brianqaf81
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Brian,

Greetings and Welcome!

I am not familiar with the VGN-PCV W1/G model but do any lights come on on the front of the monitor? I am trying to determine if it is a monitor problem or is it a case of the monitor not receiving the video signal to turn it on. 

Any chance of using a video out with another known good monitor to check the video signal?

Joe

jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Brianqaf81 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:01 am

The lights on the top of the machine come on (its a Sony model where the whole thing is connected as one (hard drive, monitor and keyboard is one unit).  The green light comes on steady and but the HDD light (normally orange and flashy to indicate HD activity does not flash at all.

The monitor doesn't appear to come on at all (ie, its not just a black screen - its nothing).

The plugs at the side are very limited - I dont think it has a video out socket.  It has an AV port - is that any help for my case?

Cheers.

Bri.
Brianqaf81
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Brianqaf81 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:09 am

Ok.  It looks like I'm going to have to part with even more money to make the thing work.

Like I said in my first post, I'm not particularly techie, so when I take it to the men in the white coats will they be able to somehow connect a second monitor; reason I ask is there are no external connections and I cant see that theres anyway to 'take the back off'.

Anyone know anyone (uk-wide mainstream) that could do this job?  I've read that PC-World (where I bought it from) are a real no-no when it comes to playing fair on repairs & the costs involved.

Look forward to any responses.

Kind regards,

Brian.
Brianqaf81
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Brian,

Have you had any luck off this forum in finding a "white coat" to give your VGN-PCV W1/G  a check over to see if the problem is with the monitor?

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Brianqaf81 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:34 pm

Hey Joe,

Unfortunately I haven't heard from anyone.  I'm dreading having to leave it with someone who doesn't know what theyre doing, let alone the cost!

lol.
Brianqaf81
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Brian,

I fully understand your reluctance to just let someone you don't know work of your computer. Without having a recommendation it is hard to trust someone you have never dealt with before.
Hopefully, one of our UK members will spot this thread and be able to offer a recommendation of where to bring your your machine in for an estimate.

Best of luck and please let us know how things work out.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Brianqaf81 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:24 am

I took it into a 'no fix, no fee' place in Northampton & after taking every individual peice of kit inside out and replacing it (trying to locate the problem), they THINK they've narrowed it down to the processor.  They've advised me that it would be nearly impossible to get hold of one and it's probably best if I cut my losses & just got rid of the machine.  Whilst I totally appreciate they probably know what they're talking about, the PC was bought in late 2003 & cost over £1200!  Is it really all over?  Should I scrap it?  Can I break it up into parts & sell it do you think?  What do you guys suggest is my best option now???

Cheers!
Brianqaf81
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Dam14n » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 pm

On 2009-04-25 12:24, Brianqaf81 wrote:
I took it into a 'no fix, no fee' place in Northampton & after taking every individual peice of kit inside out and replacing it (trying to locate the problem), they THINK they've narrowed it down to the processor.  They've advised me that it would be nearly impossible to get hold of one and it's probably best if I cut my losses & just got rid of the machine.  Whilst I totally appreciate they probably know what they're talking about, the PC was bought in late 2003 & cost over £1200!  Is it really all over?  Should I scrap it?  Can I break it up into parts & sell it do you think?  What do you guys suggest is my best option now???

Cheers!

Test
Dam14n
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Dam14n » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Ok i have just rebuilt your machine Type Sony TV/Computer W1/G, it takes a standard
P4 / Celeron CPU yours is 2.8 ghz just added a new one and a 250 HDD, all working, they told you that because its a bit of nightmare to install this plenty of table room and patience, or they are imbeciles email if you have not dumped it, im in London, hope this is not to late....... Damian.
Dam14n
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Computers Troubleshooting